• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdlife is overdoing it (Times of Malta) (1 Viewer)

Well, when I read reports like this, I can only think of insane people. I wonder if Malta maybe lacks of psychiatrists instead of police reinforcement to properly handle with those poachers.|=(|

I've often wondered this myself - eithier way these thugs and criminals seem to be firmly in control of this country.:C

Any ideas what the EU can actually do if the illegal hunting doesnt stop,can they fine Malta or are they just all talk and no action,seems to me if they did take action against Malta,this may just hasten the islands withdrawal from the EU,the hunters seem to be a pretty powerful lobby on the island,if this happened probably no chance of stopping the hunting then,case of damned if you do and damned if you dont..

Well, when I read reports like this, I can only think of insane people. I wonder if Malta maybe lacks of psychiatrists instead of police reinforcement to properly handle with those poachers.|=(|

Insane, no. Selfish, yes. When I was young my friend down the street shot birds indiscriminately in their yard for fun. Probably thousands over 5 or so years. Nobody was the least bit concerned by it. Most people I remember from that time considered animals playthings, to be used and disposed of on a whim.

Any ideas what the EU can actually do if the illegal hunting doesnt stop,can they fine Malta or are they just all talk and no action,seems to me if they did take action against Malta,this may just hasten the islands withdrawal from the EU,the hunters seem to be a pretty powerful lobby on the island,if this happened probably no chance of stopping the hunting then,case of damned if you do and damned if you dont..

Surely large fines and withdrawal of EU funds would bring the government to their senses, as is provided for under various EU Directives.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back