• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

Blakeney Point

Short-eared Owl, Sparrowhawk, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff in The Plantation, Blakeney Point this morning at 8.30am - a Wheatear on the way, that's the best I could do I'm afraid!

Re: yesterday's Bee-eater - I think I speak for all, just simply frustrating when you are a minute away from one of the most spectacular, heart lifting birds you could see on a sunny day - I was at Coastguards and was inconsolable for the rest of the day:-C

Fulll update on blog.

Penny:girl:

I was quite shocked today when driving along a road in Norfolk – 2 birders unknown to me flagged me down to tell me of the presence of a pair of *** and even pointed out the nest site of these rare breeding birds that they were watching. I don’t even know why they chose to flag me down as it was a relatively busy road with plenty of other vehicles on it. Whilst they obviously thought they were doing me a huge favour, I was unknown to them. I could not quite believe how irresponsible they were being. I don’t know how common knowledge it is, but there was quite a serious egg collecting scare recently on the north Norfolk coast that saw police and RSPB wildlife crime department involvement. Although nothing came of the event it was a rude awakening to those of us involved with local conservation work. It is worth remembering that there are still eggers about and we as responsible birdwatchers should surely put the safety and well being of rare breeding birds first. As I was unknown to the 2 kind chaps, what if I had been an egg collector ? Game, set and match perhaps ? The answer I got when I questioned them was ‘everyone knows about them’. Not necessarily so. I am not having a go at any one in particular but surely we should all take the greatest care in who we tell or take to the sites of rare breeding birds. There is a lot of hard work going into bird protection often by a very few dedicated people on large sites, where natural events can create frustrating enough results so where we as birdwatchers can have a positive influence on a breeding bird’s safety we should surely put lists and trying to impress the world by telling everyone we meet right out of the window ?

The bird recorder for West Suffolk, Colin Jakes, has put out a plea locally for the finders of all the good birds at Lakenheath recently to get in touch with him. His email is [email protected]

He's particularly keen to make contact with the finders of the Red-footed Falcon, Savi's Warbler and three of the four records of Montagu's Harriers (one description submitted). Photos exist of the Purple Heron, though the finder has not yet been in touch.

Many thanks
Dawn

I was quite shocked today when driving along a road in Norfolk – 2 birders unknown to me flagged me down to tell me of the presence of a pair of *** and even pointed out the nest site of these rare breeding birds that they were watching. I don’t even know why they chose to flag me down as it was a relatively busy road with plenty of other vehicles on it. Whilst they obviously thought they were doing me a huge favour, I was unknown to them. I could not quite believe how irresponsible they were being. I don’t know how common knowledge it is, but there was quite a serious egg collecting scare recently on the north Norfolk coast that saw police and RSPB wildlife crime department involvement. Although nothing came of the event it was a rude awakening to those of us involved with local conservation work. It is worth remembering that there are still eggers about and we as responsible birdwatchers should surely put the safety and well being of rare breeding birds first. As I was unknown to the 2 kind chaps, what if I had been an egg collector ? Game, set and match perhaps ? The answer I got when I questioned them was ‘everyone knows about them’. Not necessarily so. I am not having a go at any one in particular but surely we should all take the greatest care in who we tell or take to the sites of rare breeding birds. There is a lot of hard work going into bird protection often by a very few dedicated people on large sites, where natural events can create frustrating enough results so where we as birdwatchers can have a positive influence on a breeding bird’s safety we should surely put lists and trying to impress the world by telling everyone we meet right out of the window ?

On a similar note I was very disturbed to hear about birders ignoring signs put up asking them to view a certain bird from that positon. Not only was walking into said area enough but driving down into this area.
Sadly the viewer of this incident didn't take a number plate reading....
Doesn't matter what species it is, someone will always try and push it.

Titchwell May 28th

Today’s highlights

Med gull – 8 (4 pairs) west this morning
Bittern – several ‘in flight’ sightings today
Spotted flycatcher – 1 in picnic area
Little gull – 7 1st summers on fresh marsh this morning
Little ringed plover – 2 on Patsy’s reedbed
Spoonbill – 1 west
Turtle dove – 1 over carpark
Hobby – 1 west

Water vole – 1+ along Meadow Trail

Paul

Hickling Water Trail

I took the boat trip at Hickling again today. More busy than usual, but worthwhile. The highlights were:-
Crane, Cuckoo, Grey Plover Dunlin, Hobby and 20ish Ringed Plover.
Its well worth the effort, but even better non holiday times.

I walked to the mill at Buckenham Marshes yesterday for the first time this year and was pleasantly surprised by the number of Avocets there. I counted about 30 but there are probably many more. There were also about 20 Redshanks too and some extremely feisty Lapwings and Shelducks defending their young from all comers.

There were lots of Swifts flying over the marshes but hardly any Swallows. The same was true along the Lackford Run. Is this the same situation elsewhere?

Ron

Now off to look for it straight after work - William Street but don't know if in garden or..... Will ask around and report back later....

Found all the details out from some VERY helpful children and a lady in the street who has awesome pictures on her phone! It roosts in an amazingly massive Copper Beech Tree (purple leaves) which is next to a Wall in Thomas Street. See street map HERE
Don't even think of driving your car down Thomas Street - I did and I won't be again and also not fair to the residents. It is a a very short, incredibly narrow street. Park in Guanock Terrace just around the corner. Apparently its been in the local papers, RSPCA have been out and quote from the lady 'not much help'. Baytree Garden Centre have been out and nobody can catch it. Its driving the local dogs crazy apparently.

I might email the Hawk & Owl Trust, as its not in an ideal situation at all, for it to be in. Very built up area and also very small children running around!!!!! Plus its only going to end up getting shot the second its caught someone's precious dog or cat!

I didn't see it whilst I was there and now going back with my camera.

Penny:girl:

UPDATE - Saw the Eagle Owl sitting on a roof and photographed it - fabulous bird! Full update on my blog shortly and pictures to follow. Please note I have just amended the street to 'Thomas Street'. Also its been there at least 6 weeks!!! DO NOT PARK IN THIS STREET PLEASE!

Attachments

• IMG_9749 crop.jpg
    IMG_9749 crop.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I was disturbed to see some people well on their way to East Hills today, with the tide almost as high as it could be. They disappeared over the ridge, having taken the ‘shorter way’- and I didn’t see them again. I was half expecting to see a yellow helicopter . . .

Those familiar with the area will see that the shots were taken from the copse at the north end of the westernmost track.

I’m not seeing many House Martins, either.

Attachments

• 045pse.jpg
    045pse.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 041pse.jpg
    041pse.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 166
Not just birders...

On a similar note I was very disturbed to hear about birders ignoring signs put up asking them to view a certain bird from that positon. Not only was walking into said area enough but driving down into this area.

Don't be fooled into thinking its only birders who show a disregard for the welfare of rare breeding birds and ignore on-site instructions. Photographers are equally guilty, and in my experience probably more so.

Don't be fooled into thinking its only birders who show a disregard for the welfare of rare breeding birds and ignore on-site instructions. Photographers are equally guilty, and in my experience probably more so.

I always associate the term 'birder' as meaning both observer and photographer, people who have an interest in birds, either to observe or photograph. Being both myself, that is how I read the post but someone always has to have that extra dig at photographers these days... :C

Having witnessed diplorable behaviour by both photographers and 'birders' (those without a camera :t:) I would not catergorize one as worse than the other when it comes to the consideration of birds!!

Having witnessed an older gentleman (well past retirement age) walking towards a Short-eared Owl perched on the ground in Suffolk last winter, continually shouting to his wife "Can you see it yet", he continued toward it until surprise, surprise he flushed it; birders clambering through the bushes at the entrance to Horsey Gap car-park to flush out a Radde's Warbler so they could get the (all important) tick on their list... to more recently birders (both with and without cameras) tape luring the Wood Warbler at East Wretham so they could again 'get a good look' at their latest year tick!!

I suppose you have to put it down to Human nature and those who must see/photograph the bird at any cost, to the peril of the bird or other observers, they simply do not care about anyone else and certainly not the birds!!! It's very sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back