• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whose eggs??? (1 Viewer)

Pol

I have been watching this Large White caterpillar since it arrived on the soffit (of my bungalow) expecting it to turn into a chrysalis at any moment. Yesterday afternoon I was dismayed to find these eggs had been laid around him. Might they be of a parasitic wasp or something similar?

Attachments

• P9213248_edited-1.jpg
    P9213248_edited-1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 85
They may not be eggs but grubs that have 'erupted' or eaten their way out of the caterpillar and pupated. Many species of parasitic wasp (Ichneumons etc) inject their prey with their eggs and this is often the result. The small wasp on top may or may not be related (could even be a hyperparasite - a parasite of parasites!).

Try googling for Apanteles glomeratus. An Ichneumon/parasitic wasp.

3mm, parasitises Large white butterfy caterpillars, larva pupate outside of host. Common May - August.

Looks very much like the little chappie in the pic. If not this, something very similar..

Thanks yet again - it looks exactly like Apanteles glomeratus. The caterpillar is still alive but shrinking !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back