• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

flying with condors (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
just noticed this little beauty scheduled for next wednesday's [30th nov]natural world programme.world champion handglider judy leden films condors flying over the patagonian andes from her handglider.

blank tapes at the ready by 20.00,bbc 2 wednesday

then followed at 20.50 by squirrel island
programme about a colony of red squirrels living on the island of brownsea off poole,dorset.i think this is a repeat narrated by bill oddie and was shown last spring.

matt :t:

Last edited:
What a magnificent programme. Fabulous birds, fabulous scenery incredible flight shots what more could you want.

Reader said:
What a magnificent programme. Fabulous birds, fabulous scenery incredible flight shots what more could you want.

To fly in a glider!!!!

I agree with everything you say Reader.

Big SIGH!!!!

It was a great program, at first I thought it was going to be more about the handgliding, but was delighted with it.

Our kids cant get over the size of the wingspan, we have a 3m window in our living room and took out the tape measure to prove it to them.

We might complain about not enough nature programs, but the ones that the BBC do are great.
Eagle Owls, Andean Condors,
Any idea what next weeks Natural world is about?

Hi Kas,

I keep plugging BF when I phone about programmes and did tell them Monday we do thank them for the great programmes if they read BF and we would like to see more.

Sorry next week's programme won't be in the same league but your kids may like it "Ella the Meerkat's Tale" aah story of a mother Meerkat raising a family

I disagree with previous comments on Flying with Condors.

I thought that the birds were incredible and the photography outstanding.

But what was the hang-glider doing? TWICE she thought she knew better than the birds and took to the skies before the condors, and therefore before the thermals were strong enough. And TWICE she was forced to land ("Oh dear I am losing height"), breaking her wrist on one occasion and her foot on another!

Why did she fly too early? And why didn't the condor expert say to her "look, the birds know best. Wait until they fly, because they won't fly until the thermals are strong enough"

Considering she was a top hang glider, I thought she showed a complete lack of common sense, and even less knowledge of the birds she had come to "study".

Denzil said:
I disagree with previous comments on Flying with Condors.

I thought that the birds were incredible and the photography outstanding.

But what was the hang-glider doing? TWICE she thought she knew better than the birds and took to the skies before the condors, and therefore before the thermals were strong enough. And TWICE she was forced to land ("Oh dear I am losing height"), breaking her wrist on one occasion and her foot on another!

Why did she fly too early? And why didn't the condor expert say to her "look, the birds know best. Wait until they fly, because they won't fly until the thermals are strong enough"

Considering she was a top hang glider, I thought she showed a complete lack of common sense, and even less knowledge of the birds she had come to "study".

Agree completely. I thought it was an awful programme. Good photography - sometimes - but the narration was crass and clunky, the added sound effects were ridiculous and unnecessary (so their microphones can pick up the sound of wings flapping across a valley in a gale, can they? No. But they add a flapping noise, just in case we can't imagine what it would sound like if we stood next to a landing condor. WHY?!), and that hanglider woman was arrogant, reckless and self-indulgent. She deserved all she got, and I'm surprised she didn't end up as condor food herself by the end of the programme.

some nature progs are just better without the 'human element',at least we had david[life in the undergrowth] to make up for it afterwards on beeb 2.

matt

The programme should have been inspiring, Condors are magnificent birds but unfortunately the programme was completly spoiled by the dullness and stupidity of the hang glider.

Isn't it strange....
I loved seeing the Condors fly.....I have criticised other bird programmes as being too much for ordinary people....not aimed at birders but I have decided to enjoy the birds and ignore distractions...do you know I didn't notice the music or the wing noises I was just enjoying the wonderful condors!

(I really didn't care about the woman just ignored her!!! Thought it strange that she didn't wait for the Condors to fly first but hey she was the one to suffer the photography was great though!)

When we bird we often have to ignore the distractions around us...I am learning
to do this....however each to their own opinion!!!

Eagle said:
Isn't it strange....
I loved seeing the Condors fly.....I have criticised other bird programmes as being too much for ordinary people....not aimed at birders but I have decided to enjoy the birds and ignore distractions...do you know I didn't notice the music or the wing noises I was just enjoying the wonderful condors!

(I really didn't care about the woman just ignored her!!! Thought it strange that she didn't wait for the Condors to fly first but hey she was the one to suffer the photography was great though!)

When we bird we often have to ignore the distractions around us...I am learning
to do this....however each to their own opinion!!!

Spot on Corrina

I have to say that if you didn't like the music or the narration then turn the sound off and just enjoy the birds and scenery. I can't even see why the hang glider was such a big deal as you still had some wonderful shots of the Condor (which to be honest is what we were looking at).

Considering the fact that so much critiscism is coming over each person must have watched it throughout to notice all the flaws. Me, if I am not enjoying anything I either turn over or switch off.

Reader said:
Considering the fact that so much critiscism is coming over each person must have watched it throughout to notice all the flaws. Me, if I am not enjoying anything I either turn over or switch off.

I don't think I nor anyone else has criticized the program as a whole. Everyone seems to agree that watching the condors was great.

And you surely know as well as I do, that when you begin watching a program that appears to be not as good as you had hoped, you still continue watching it in the hope that it will improve!

Denzil said:
I don't think I nor anyone else has criticized the program as a whole. Everyone seems to agree that watching the condors was great.

And you surely know as well as I do, that when you begin watching a program that appears to be not as good as you had hoped, you still continue watching it in the hope that it will improve!

You don't think anyone criticized the programme?

Poecile said:
Agree completely. I thought it was an awful programme. Good photography - sometimes - but the narration was crass and clunky, the added sound effects were ridiculous and unnecessary

matt green said:
some nature progs are just better without the 'human element',at least we had david[life in the undergrowth] to make up for it afterwards on beeb 2.

matt

Eider-Duck said:
The programme should have been inspiring, Condors are magnificent birds but unfortunately the programme was completly spoiled by the dullness and stupidity of the hang glider.

I call that criticism.

Not many programmes attain perfection, and this one certainly didn't, but for me it gave me close ups of the birds I had never seen before and for the most part the photography far outweighed the minus points. But I suppose human nature being what it is, when an inperfection is seen it gets magnified out of all proportion and suddenly the good points get forgotten.

Reader said:
Not many programmes attain perfection, and this one certainly didn't, but for me it gave me close ups of the birds I had never seen before and for the most part the photography far outweighed the minus points. But I suppose human nature being what it is, when an inperfection is seen it gets magnified out of all proportion and suddenly the good points get forgotten.

OK, but as i said in my first message, "I thought that the birds were incredible and the photography outstanding." I don't think I had forgotten the good points at all.

I watched it but became irritated by things others have commented on and by the narration - Sean Pertwee? Cant stand his voice, every sentence ending on a Barry White style low! I watched it at a mates house and he turned the sound off to answer the phone - much better!

were they Andean Condors?... I guess it was South America

would have loved to have seen it...

Andean Condor soaring around Macchu Picchu is one of my all-time highlights... mindblowing

Tim Allwood said:
were they Andean Condors?... I guess it was South America

would have loved to have seen it...

Andean Condor soaring around Macchu Picchu is one of my all-time highlights... mindblowing
The shots of Andean Condor were great but the whole thing was spoilt (for me) by the commentary etc.

Denzil said:
OK, but as i said in my first message, "I thought that the birds were incredible and the photography outstanding." I don't think I had forgotten the good points at all.

You will note Denzil that I didn't quote you but only those that did critiscise but you did quote the following:
Denzil said:
I don't think I nor anyone else has criticized the program as a whole. Everyone seems to agree that watching the condors was great. /QUOTE] so that is the part I answered.

There have been many programms where the music or the narration have been irritating but I tend to try and put that to the back of my mind and enjoy the subject matter only.

Reader said:
You will note Denzil that I didn't quote you but only those that did critiscise but you did quote the following:
Denzil said:
I don't think I nor anyone else has criticized the program as a whole. Everyone seems to agree that watching the condors was great. /QUOTE] so that is the part I answered.

OK. I've had enough of this thread.

Hey Reader, where in Coventry are you? I was born just down the road in Nuneaton before emigrating to Belgium!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back