• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscope with a sony cybershot? (1 Viewer)

Storm-Petrel

registered dude
Hi all, i have never digiscoped in my life before but am very interested in it and am trying to scrape bread together to pay for a scope. I have a digital Sony Cybershot camera, 3x zoom and 7.1 megapixels. it was from the year 2004; fairly recent. Could this be used for digiscoping? thanks for the help!

EDIT: the scope i would be using it with is a Swarov. ATS HD 80mm. I was going to get a 20-60 zoom but according to the reviews a 30 is best

Hi all, i have never digiscoped in my life before but am very interested in it and am trying to scrape bread together to pay for a scope. I have a digital Sony Cybershot camera, 3x zoom and 7.1 megapixels. it was from the year 2004; fairly recent. Could this be used for digiscoping? thanks for the help!

EDIT: the scope i would be using it with is a Swarov. ATS HD 80mm. I was going to get a 20-60 zoom but according to the reviews a 30 is best

Hi David,

You should be able to digiscope with that set-up. I have the same scope that you're going to buy, and I use a Sony Cybershot W7. I use the Swarovski digital camera adapter with a Sony adapter ring to mount the camera to the scope. I use the 20-60 zoom because that's what I use for birding. However, for digiscoping I rarely use it higher than x20. With the camera, it's best not to zoom in more than you need to remove the vignetting that you inevitably get when you first put the camera to the scope.

The Sony cameras have their faults, but then again none of the more recent cameras from other manufacturers is perfect for digiscoping. As a start in digiscoping, your set-up will do fine. They key thing is to know your camera well and to practise, practise, practise. You'll always keep fewer than you bin.

Good luck,

Malcolm

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back