• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late house martin brood (1 Viewer)

Mirta

About two weeks ago, at my parents' house in the east of Croatia, a new brood of house martins was hatched (third this season, first of which failed). We had some cool and wet periods since then, but for the time being, they are doing just great. Still, I wonder – what are the chances that they get strong enough in the bad weather that is forecasted for the next week or so, and to migrate successfully later on? Any experiences?

It's not uncommon for Housemartins to have up to three broods and to have young in the nest into October. Whether they fledge and migrate successfully or not is really in the lap of the gods. Let's hope the ones at your parents' house make it.

Nicely said, everything is in the lap of the gods. Those chicks had a good start, with plenty of food (judging by parents’ activity and mess under the nest), so I suppose they are in good condition. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Some Swallows and Martins migrate very late, I have seen them in Tunesia around christmas. Therefore, there may still be a while before these birds need to be ready for the long haul.

Niels

It's not uncommon for Housemartins to have up to three broods and to have young in the nest into October. Whether they fledge and migrate successfully or not is really in the lap of the gods. Let's hope the ones at your parents' house make it.

I agree with Dave some birds still have young (here in the UK) into October, so don't worry too much just yet. They have plenty of time to head south.

CB

I am not sure about October, but September is not unusual in Croatia for House Martins to have young. The problem is that this September suddenly turned rather cold and rainy, that is why I am worried. I visited my parents today, it was raining awfully. Chicks were crying all day and it was not till the late afternoon that they got something to eat. Still, they are now 3 weeks old, the weather forecast is not too bad, so they should be OK. Thanks for encouragement!

Earlier today I saw a pair is on its 2nd brood on the house next to my parents. Interestingly they only settled down for the 1st brood a good couple of weeks after all of the other local birds but many of them have already left!

Gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back