• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Argentina/Chile bird question #2 (of many) (1 Viewer)

adampaul

I believe in God, only I spell it N.A.T.U.R.E. - F
4 more birds seen in the past 3 weeks in Argentina & Chile:

#1: Thought it was a Fire-eyed Diucon until I saw a definite Fe-D later on. This looks quite similar, but lacks the flame-red eye. Seen near Torres del Paine, Chile on 21 March

#2: Female Long-tailed Meadowlark (Loica Comun)? Also near Torres del Paine on 21 March.

#3: From Buenos Aires on 28 March. Pegged it as one of the stripey-headed Mockingbirds (Mockingbird ID post coming soon :), but on looking at the photo the bill looks much too short for a Mockingbird

#4: From Costanera Sur, Buenos Aires on 3 April. No idea what this one is!

Thanks!
_Adam_

Attachments

• adampaul-IMG_5358.jpg
    adampaul-IMG_5358.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 92
  • adampaul-IMG_5368.jpg
    adampaul-IMG_5368.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 90
  • adampaul-IMG_6153.jpg
    adampaul-IMG_6153.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 78
  • adampaul-IMG_6517.jpg
    adampaul-IMG_6517.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 97
I think pic 2 shows a pipit species and pic 4 maybe some kind of wren, but without books i can´t go further and might even be wrong...

Adam,

1 - Dark-faced Ground Tyrant?
2 - its a Pipit, either Correndera or Short-billed probably the former.
3 - Chalk-browed Mockingbird
4 - One of the Wren's probably House Wren?

Regards

Mark

Nice one Rasmus, 2 had me but I can now see the rufous base to the secondaries, thought the tertials were a bit long but fully in agreement now I've had a look at lit.

Mark

Fire-eyed Diucon

Could perhaps be mistaken for a juv. (which lack the striking eye of the ad.), but notice e.g. tail versus wings.

Correndera Pipit

Notice tail structure & colours, mantle pattern (highly distinctive in Correndera, though Yellowish may show a superficially similar pattern), scapulars, lack of stripe below the eye, etc. I'd add that, while I certainly understand how the Austral Canastero could be confused with a pipit from this photo, they'd be far harder to confuse when seen in the field, where the canastero really gives a quite non-pipit like impression.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back