• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question about skuas (1 Viewer)

teamsaint

Does the light/dark phase of Skuas effect how they breed. Do they tend to pair with a bird of the same phase or is there no pattern?

Does the light/dark phase of Skuas effect how they breed. Do they tend to pair with a bird of the same phase or is there no pattern?

If I remember rightly in Arctics there is an effect on tolerance of other skuas so dark phase birds nest closer to each other than light (or the other way round, it was a long time ago), leading to different densities in colonies. Overall the proportion changes North to South in range because of greater prey availability in richer habitats.

No doubt I have the details wrong.

John

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there's a tendency among Arctic Skuas to pair with the "other" morph, i.e. darks pair up with lights, etc. I'm not sure if I've got this right, or if it's in any way accurate, but congratulations on bringing it up, I'd love to see an answer from experts!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there's a tendency among Arctic Skuas to pair with the "other" morph, i.e. darks pair up with lights, etc. I'm not sure if I've got this right, or if it's in any way accurate, but congratulations on bringing it up, I'd love to see an answer from experts!

Would that not lead to higher numbers of intermediate morph birds (an ssumption taken from the fact intermediates occur)?

Would that not lead to higher numbers of intermediate morph birds (an ssumption taken from the fact intermediates occur)?

Not if one or the other character is dominant. The occurrence of intemediates suggests incomplete dominance i.e control is by more than one gene, giving a complex mathematical solution.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back