• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pecking order..... (1 Viewer)

new 2 this

The local crow only has to caw and all the feeding birds scatter, is this part of the pecking order?

Also the sparrow's won't eat when the starlings are nearby, they don't fight they just keep their distance. Has anyone studied this?

Lastly, I've heard that smaller birds like their fat and seed rubbed on trees, does this work?

Teresa

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: Ugggggg, they're everywhere!!!!

When we see one we run out with a jug of water, only get them about twice out of every ten attempts but worth it. They hate water. I have resorted to hissing at them, I read somewhere it makes them think there's a dominant tomcat about.

How about one of those pump-action water-squirters ? If the cat is a light colour, and you have some kind of dye in the water, you can help it return home with the mark of Zorro emblazoned on its furry flank. And, of course, should you have one that turns its back on you and raises its tail - instant Baboon.

Tony

I never thought of that TOny, my boys have one each sitting next to the back door mmmmmm......wet, cold cats.....should work

:t:

Teresa

My dog makes sure none of the local cats enter the back garden anymore. Before we got him they would even come into the house through the upstairs windows! I'll never forget the time I was sitting in my study working on the computer when this huge tomcat jumped in through the roof window. Needless to say he was out of the house very sharpish.

I like the waterblaster idea though, tonyk. I invested in 3 of them last summer, they even have laser sights! LMAO@babboon!

Take care

Boogs

Booga, Strap em all together and the lasers combined might burn em! If they do don't shoot any water to cool em down!

I've got a neighbor who installed motion activated sprinklers. You have got to see the cats leap into the air when the sprinklers come on. It is hilarious. No cat gets hurt but it gets the point across except for this one very sturbborn tom cat...... Hissing does work though. I have used that and they turn tail and run the other way.

I've got a hunter's duck call that worries them - they don't like the idea of a six-foot tall duck. ALso very useful for clearing a way in crowded shopping precincts. I originally bought it after being told I had no audible warning of approach on my bicycle.

Tony

TonyK said:
I think all cats should be made of chocolate. It would make them total irresistible and completely useless at catching birds.

Now please be reasonable, guys - chocolate cats indeed ! What we really need is chocolate chickens, for year-round Easter Eggs.

Tony

Hi,
I to am plagued with moggies on both sides have been tempted to go to Chester Zoo for a bag of Tiger's Poo, that is supposed to warn them off!!

The super soaker idea is ok but you need to add sugar and chilli vinegar. Can you imagine how much fun they have cleaning that lot off? Mmmmmmmm, thats just made me think of a chinese take away dish.
:'D

Hello jayhunter,

I have heard that Tiger's Poo is very effective too, who sells it? Can you actually get it from Chester Zoo? They could sell it to subsidize the place, or do they already.

Hey TOny love the chocolate chickens idea, not only would the eggs be great but I would get my middle child to eat chicken...he loves animals and wants to be a veggi but chocolate is his favorite snack.

Hello MikePearson,
Why do we need to add sugar and chilli vinegar? Cooking for me is a challenge, and I need my cookbooks to bumble along with it but I don't remember seeing Chilli Vinegar in any of my books and I have Ken Hom's cookbook, yummy stuff, makes cooking interesting.

Hi Teresa

I used to have a super soaker (high powered water pistol). Detering our feline friends with plain water isn't always effective. Cats hate to have sticky icky fur so will groom to get rid of it (thats the sugar). So imagine how tricky it is for them when the chilli hits the taste buds!

The chinese reference: sweet and sour felix.

Now I have a garden again, I will have to get a new super soaker
as I have noticed that there are a couple of moggies around though they haven't been in the garden yet

Mike Pearson

Cheers for the explaination , I will remember this one if the moggies overstep their mark, there is one particular cat who will probably get that treatment, a female cat who lives next door but one and thinks everyone's garden is her territory, I constantly shoo her away, so far she gets the message, but it is always good to have a backup plan.

Our next door neighbour has a cat too but they also have a dog and it seems the dog rules the roost and the cat knows it's place, which means it stays out of the back gardens! Now if only all moggies were so sensible.....

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back