• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vienna, Austria. Small selection without an ID (1 Viewer)

Frogfish

So lucky me I'm still stuck here unable to go home (or travel) therefore the local woods are getting a real workout (new bins arrived today) !

Since I'm not a 'European birder' per se I'm not conversant with many of the birds here (I didn't bird in the UK during my youth) and I'm relying on the Internet for IDs (books are all back in country of residence - China).

Calls/Song are particularly tough.

These are all from the past week or so and in woodland in Northern Vienna or from Donau Park.

Probably easy for most here :t:

1. Female Redstart ?
2. Reed Warbler - but which one ?
3. Sylvia ?
4. LBJ - found in bushes in woodland. Brown above and light below. There were two and this one was giving the 'begging' wing flutter (fledgling?) which attracted the 'parent" ? Unfortunately I missed the shot at 8m when it popped up - this a very heavy crop from 50m !
5. Wood Warbler ?
6. See 2nd post below.
7. Sound Recording A : 2nd post below.
8. Sound Recording B : 2nd post below.
9. Sound Recording C : 2nd post below.

Thanks !
Kevin

Attachments

• _KSH5778.jpg
    _KSH5778.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 72
  • _KSH5666 copy.jpg
    _KSH5666 copy.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 71
  • _KSH5631 copy.jpg
    _KSH5631 copy.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 68
  • _KSH5850.jpeg
    _KSH5850.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 68
  • _KSH5808.jpg
    _KSH5808.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Continued

6. Seems like a different Reed Warbler to the one above?

You're very welcome to have a go at these too ! If they are common birds it will save me time looking for them when heard.

7. Sound Recording A
8. Sound Recording B
9. Sound Recording C

Thanks ! :t:
Kevin

Attachments

• _KSH5696.jpg
    _KSH5696.jpg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 51
  • C0001.m4a
    259.2 KB · Views: 25
  • C0003.m4a
    215.1 KB · Views: 21
  • C0002 Clipped.m4a
    4 MB · Views: 34
1.Black Redstart
2.Great Reed Warbler
3.4.5. Chiffchaffs (not sure)
6.Reed Warbler
7.Kestrel
8.9.Oriole

1.Black Redstart
2.Great Reed Warbler
3.4.5. Chiffchaffs (not sure)
6.Reed Warbler
7.Kestrel
8.9.Oriole

Awesome - thanks ! I hadn't considered Kestrel because I was in deep woods (though a field was not far away), I did get some shots of one close by in a tall tree, now I think of it (and there are LOTS of Kestrels here).

Oriole is very interesting because I was wondering where to find them here - hopefully my newly arrived bins will help :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back