• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater or Lesser Yellowlegs (1 Viewer)

Alan henry

Australia
I found this Yellowlegs this afternoon and not sure what one it is, it seemed massive compared to the two Lessers that I have seen in the last couple of months but the bill length is worrying me a bit as it does not seem that long to previous Greaters that I have seen.

Cheers

Alan
www.surfbirds.com/blog/falklandbirder

Attachments

• Yellowlegs 1.jpg
    Yellowlegs 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Yellowlegs 2.jpg
    Yellowlegs 2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Yellowlegs 3.jpg
    Yellowlegs 3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 145
Thanks for the comments guys,

I was convinced it was a Greater when I first saw it because of it size, it really did seem much much larger than the two Lesser Yellowlegs that I have seen in the last few weeks. It is the bill length that really is the problem for me.

Attached is another shot.

Cheers

Alan
www.surfbirds.com/blog/falklandbirder

Attachments

• Yellowlegs 4.jpg
    Yellowlegs 4.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 132
pale base of bill is definite mark for greater

This is true but Lesser also have a hint of yellow/brown at base. This bird has a lot of yellow showing which suggests Greater non-breeding. The bill is of similar length to width of head and does not appear to be upturned which suggests Lesser. Did you see it fly Alan? Were the legs trailing? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that is a trait for Lesser.

Andy

still stick with greater I think tho the bill length is the problem here, certainly looks more like the greater i saw a few weeks back than any lessers iv seen

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back