• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most ridiculous plastic.... (1 Viewer)

Isurus

So I just found an emu next to Tortola, BVI's best (only) wetland site. I'm pretty confident in not ticking it as being a wild vagrant. ;) Anyway this being a rather ridiculous sighting I was wondering what the rest of birdforum's most ridiculous plastic sightings have been.

Share your tales of bewilderment.

We had a Peahen show up at our back door in South Florida and stay for several weeks. Turns out there is a small feral population in the adjacent town that's been there for years.

Wolala! In Holland you have domestic ducks, geese, chicken running wild, and wildfowl mixes of all description. Its tough competition for the most ridiculuos one!

I have had cockatiel twice is Southern California, but perhaps the most aggravating was a Linnet at Tawas Point in Michigan. Momentary excitement followed quickly with the certainty that it was an escapee

My neighbour has a plastic GS Woodpecker in her garden. My window overlooks both mine and her garden so I consider it to be "tickable" for garden species, came very closing to ticking this until I noticed it hadn't moved for a while.

mid 80's Inner Marsh farm, 3 of us scoped Spoonbill for 10/15 minutes until the wind brought out colour and diagnostic patterning............

ASDA carrier bag (full summer )

My neighbour has a plastic GS Woodpecker in her garden. My window overlooks both mine and her garden so I consider it to be "tickable" for garden species, came very closing to ticking this until I noticed it hadn't moved for a while.
That happened me as a kid in the ´70´s. A fellow kid-birder said he´d seen an egret, from the bus, in a big garden on the way to school. (This is in pre-Little Egret colonisation days). We went to check it out, and it was indeed an egret. A plastic motionless one.

1. Walking up a hill in Sa Pa, North Vietnam a few years back looking for things like Parrotbills, Laughingthrushes, and Buntings when I spotted 3 Ostriches. From where I was standing I couldn't see that they were in an enclosure (found out that the poor animals are kept as a tourist attraction even though their mortality rate is apparently high due to the cold and wet weather).

2. Went running here in Siem Reap, Cambodia, a couple of weeks ago when I spotted a few Spot-billed Pelicans in a rice paddy next to the road. In the early morning twilight they did seem to be awfully still; it was only on my return leg that I realized that they were out of concrete.

Acacia Paradise Whydah male in full plumage on a rooftop in Skegness on 1 October when I was looking for a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler that had gone!

John

I spotted a Buzzard in a field striking a perfect pose until I realised it was a prop placed there by the optics tent!! |:||

Not birds, but a herd of two-humped camels is for several years a sight at the birding spot at Putten, Holland.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back