• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for Binoculars for Newbie Birder Wife (1 Viewer)

phorts

Hey all!

There's only SO many reviews I can read before my head will explode! My Wife LOVES Birds (we have like 10 birdfeeders in my backyard and deck) and I want to get her some decent Binoculars for this Xmas. This would be our first pair.

My research has led me to beleive that a 8x Magnification is best for the type of birdwatching my wife generally does (watching Birds at Feeder out through the slider Window, or in the trees about 50 yds away from our house). But finding a quality pair is no easy task, especially for me, an incessant researcher.

So, I've come to the people who know best! Please help me find a pair that will suit us. Here's a list of things that are important:

- Around $100
- Around 8x Magnification
- Quality Optics
- Fairly Easy to Use/Easy to Focus (central focus)
- Compact/Lightweight

Waterproofing would be nice good but not an absolute necessity

Other uses may include:

- Sporting Events
- Hiking
- General snoopin! (Hey, i like to people watch, what can i say!)

The two i've come across that come pretty highly recommended are:

Nikon Trailblaxer ATB 8x25
Vortex Typhoon 8x26

Thanks for any insight! Also looking for a good bird ID Guide Book of specifically New England Birds. Any Recommendations would be most welcome!

Thank You!

In that price range and size probably the Leopold Yosemite would be best - that would be well under $100. For $129 the 2010 Zen-Ray VISTA 8x42 would be a good choice IMO.

Cool, Thank You.

The Leupold Yosemite 8x30s are $120 from Binoculars.com and look a little bit bigger than she probably would like to have laying around on the kitchen counter. I can just hear her now! LOL. As an avid photographer, those may be the perfect compromise for us. Nice, mid-sized, quality...multipurpose.

I guess the compromise of the Compact is that they all seem to be no higher than 25mm Objective Lense?

Any other recommendations of a similar quality, but maybe a slightly more compact?

Thanks for the help!

Go for the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. Great view and good for everything you mentioned.

If you really want to treat your wife... get a Leupold Katmai 6x30... very nice and small.
Little more money though.

Cheers

The Leupold Yosemite 8x30 and the Eagle optics Raven 8.5x32 are both outstanding little porro binos for less than $100. If you feel they are too big then you may want to look at reverse porros which in the price range offer better value and optics than roofs. the Brunton Echo 8x28 reverse porro at $68 is an outstanding little bino with great optics, lifetime warranty and a FOV of 330 ft.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019JJ8IQ...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0019JJ8IQ

If you want the ultimate in portability, compactness and near alpha quality optics then you may want to look at this little 9x25 Bushnell Legend from an ebay seller. Finding a new in box 9x25 legend is about as rare as hens teeth and for the $85 asking price they are an absolute steal. I have a pair and after buying a new Zeiss Victory 10x25 in October, I got rid of the Zeiss as they were only very marginally better and 5 times as expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUSHNELL-LEGEND...745?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0c3003e1

tom

I would stay away from any binocular with an objective lens less than 30mm.
The view is darker and the field of view is too narrow.

Visit a store and try some yourself. And... don't get too hung up on 8x vs 7x or 6x.
You will see everything you need with all.

But... a 6x will give you a much wider view, better eye relief, brighter view.

And... if your wife LOVES birds, spend more than $100 on her!

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/leupold/leupold-katmai-6x32-roof-prism-binocular-black

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/leupold/leupold-yosemite-8x30-porro-prism-binocular-black

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-viper-6x32-binocular

Cheers

phorts:

Welcome to the Birdforum.

I am thinking good advice here has been expressed in
many of the choices advised. You have done your homework, and as you mentioned you
have tired in your web surfing.

Now is the time for you and the wife to go to a large sporting goods store and try some
on for size.

Now for size, compact does not mean better, as is often found the larger sizes may offer
a nicer, easier view, and that means something 8x30-32-42. What is important here is not how large it seems sitting on your counter, it is how you enjoy its handling and view.

Have fun in your search, and let us know how you turn out.

Jerry

My reasoning for only being able to afford $100 are my own so thanks for all the suggestions that met my requirements.

Compact is also a requirement because we just don't want something big and bulky like if I wanted to take them hiking or to a sporting event. I'd like to be able to put them in a small pack, or her purse, or a coat pocket. I realize smaller isn't better. In fact its most always the opposite especially in optics.

The best value for compacts is a 8x25 reverse porro. Nikon, Vortex, may be others. The Nikon is ProStaff. Do not get 10x25, too dim in winter. It was marketed cheap as EcoBin.

Last edited:
Thanks again to everyone who has contributed, i'm sure you've helped more than just me!

I'm HIGHLY considering the Leupold Yosemites. Ive just got to decide between the 8x30 and the 6x30's.

My only concern about these is the close focus of only 16.4 ft. I've read on a few websites that the actual CF is about 13 ft. Our deck is about 15 Ft across and that's where the majority of our feeders are, and considering she'll be standing inside at the full glass slider door, that will probably be right around the 15-18 ft mark.

So, is the 8x going to be too powerful to view birds at the feeder at 15-20ft?

Or should i go w/ 6x for the wider FOV?

I basically want to get the max power that is comfortable for this viewing distance (as this will be it's primary use) as I would like to also use them for every other application I could think of (stargazing, hiking, sporting events, general use, etc).

And i'll do my splurging by hunting down one of the few "Red" pair that are still in stock..somewhere (Her fave color).

Thanks for your insight!

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed, i'm sure you've helped more than just me!

I'm HIGHLY considering the Leupold Yosemites. Ive just got to decide between the 8x30 and the 6x30's.

My only concern about these is the close focus of only 16.4 ft. I've read on a few websites that the actual CF is about 13 ft. Our deck is about 15 Ft across and that's where the majority of our feeders are, and considering she'll be standing inside at the full glass slider door, that will probably be right around the 15-18 ft mark.

So, is the 8x going to be too powerful to view birds at the feeder at 15-20ft?

Or should i go w/ 6x for the wider FOV?

I basically want to get the max power that is comfortable for this viewing distance (as this will be it's primary use) as I would like to also use them for every other application I could think of (stargazing, hiking, sporting events, general use, etc).

And i'll do my splurging by hunting down one of the few "Red" pair that are still in stock..somewhere (Her fave color).

Thanks for your insight!

I suggest the 6 x 30. Mine has a close focus of 10 to 11 feet as near as I can figure.

Bob

I have a Yosemite 6x30 by the window and that's what I view my feeders with.

I measured and get 13.5 ft close focus. But I will warn you that at the minimum distance the view doesn't overlap completely and is the not the most comfortable view. If you're really using them @ 15ft you might have problems with this binocular. Poros can be a problem at the close limit.

These look like they'd fit what you need.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-fury-6-5x32-binocular

5ft close focus.

Cheers

Last edited:
So i just measured the distance from inside the slider door to the nearest feeder and it's about 20ft.

I've grown quite partial to the Yosemites from their extremely high praise for their quality and versatility. But, i dont want them to be uncomfortable in any way at this viewing distance since this will be their main use.

So, do you think the Yosemites are appropriate for 20ft viewing distance?

If so, which set would you recommend? 6x or 8x?

After all, you're using Bins at this distance because you want a real up close view of the bird, I just want to make sure she'll be seeing the WHOLE bird and not just it's head with the 8x..lol

I wish there was a sporting goods store close by....

THanks for the insight!

The Yosemites should be fine at 20 ft. At that close of a distance the 6x will not only give a very adequate image size, but they will also deliver a much greater depth of field than the 8x, and will require less focusing action.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back