• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl seen in downtown Colombo, Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Dear colleagues
I saw an owl right in the city at night time, but it was only a fleeting view as it flew across the street landing very briefly on a house then moving on.

All I got was a fleeting impression of a grey/brown owl.

Does anyone know which species are candidates for this sighting given the location of urban Colombo?

Thank you

Spotted Owlet is not present in Sri Lanka. Jungle Owlet occurs, but is supposedly more of a forest bird. The behavior doesn't sound like a Scops species though.

Spotted Owlet is not present in Sri Lanka. Jungle Owlet occurs, but is supposedly more of a forest bird. The behavior doesn't sound like a Scops species though.

I agree with that. I think we don't have enough info for ID (not like a Scops, neither like a Glaucidium).

re; Owl in Colombo

Dear everyone.
Thanks for your answers.
Andy - thank you - I look forward to the answer from your contact in Colombo.
With kind regards
Ian

He's suggested Brown Hawk Owl,l AKA Brown Boobook, as a possibility.

Apparently Barn Owl is also seen in Colombo but I expect you"d have recognised one.

Last edited:
owl in Colombo

Dear Andy
Thanks for the suggestion.
As for barn Owl. I think it was smaller than a barn owl. Darker too I think.
In regard to the brown hawk owl. .. Again I think it was smaller and perhaps a little greyer.
I am still thinking of scops owl.
Please does your friend know if it might have been a scops owl. If so which species of scops owl is more common and whether these are found in the urgan colombo?.
I understand there are two : collared scops owl and indian scops owl.
Yours with thanks Ian

All I got was a fleeting impression of a grey/brown owl.

Depending on how fleeting, it's also pretty easy to get the impression of an owl from something that wasn't an owl in poor light, when everything also can look grey/brown, and shapes can be blurred. I'd be very wary of putting a specific name to this sighting!

owl colombo

Dear Andy and Larry
Thanks very much

I shall put it down to the one that got away
The comment on the indian scops is interesting

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back