• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IOC spreadsheet in Numbers? (1 Viewer)

SzimiStyle

The Shorebird Addict
I want to start working with IOC bird list on my iPad but the IOC brand new website offers only Excel sheets which is not readable by iOS version of Numbers. Any solution? Is there a plan to support Numbers format especially as the fancy ticking field is available in Numbers (checkbox).

My other problem is to work with the master list. I am not a function expert so my question is how to make a single column with the full scientific names? In the master sheet I can only see the second name of the scientific name. How to get the first name as that is not added to each row. Not sure I could write this clearly :-O

Looking forward to hear about any suggestions.

Best, Szimi

1) Ask someone with Excel to load the file and then save it in .csv format. It's likely that Numbers can read .csv files (they are pure text files).
2) I'm no function expert either, so part two will have to await such a person.

I want to start working with IOC bird list on my iPad but the IOC brand new website offers only Excel sheets which is not readable by iOS version of Numbers. Any solution? Is there a plan to support Numbers format especially as the fancy ticking field is available in Numbers (checkbox).

My other problem is to work with the master list. I am not a function expert so my question is how to make a single column with the full scientific names?Szimi

Life List spreadsheet seems to be version 2.11 rather than 3.0, if that's important.

The Life List spreadsheet should be/is v3.1.
We'll put up a csv version shortly - I have questions about the
one that was generated. One issue to keep in mind is that Excel
facility for csv spreadsheets does not translate foreign language characters very well, or so I am told.

f

My other problem is to work with the master list. I am not a function expert so my question is how to make a single column with the full scientific names? In the master sheet I can only see the second name of the scientific name. How to get the first name as that is not added to each row. Not sure I could write this clearly

Szimi, I am a function expert, so I should be able to solve your problem(s). Please PN me.

Theo

Two things.

If you use the Life List spread sheet it has the scientific name as a one field.

According to the iTunes store Numbers should work with Excel spreadsheets.

Yes, I did downloaded the file and opened in my wife's Mac but it warns me that it is a tab delimited document, not a valid Excel document. The data might look different. Note that My wife has the latest version of Numbers. What a mess. ;)

possible solution

I've sent you a Private Message with details of a possible solution.
Mike
Yes, I did downloaded the file and opened in my wife's Mac but it warns me that it is a tab delimited document, not a valid Excel document. The data might look different. Note that My wife has the latest version of Numbers. What a mess. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Now I managed to have a database-like Master list. :)
It would be nice to add it as an option for Mac users. :t:

Best, Szimi

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back