• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leucopternis (1 Viewer)

Daniel Philippe

In the new buteonine phylogeny (Lerner & al. 2008), some Leucopternis are embedded within Buteo.

If the generic name changes for these birds and they become Buteo, what happens to taxa which have the same endings such as Leucopternis albicollis costaricensis and Buteo jamaicensis costaricensis ? I suppose the former should change as it is the youngest. Where could I find the next available name for it then?

If the generic name changes for these birds and they become Buteo, what happens to taxa which have the same endings such as Leucopternis albicollis costaricensis and Buteo jamaicensis costaricensis ? I suppose the former should change as it is the youngest.
Yes, this is called "secondary homonymy" - the older homonym has priority, and another name is needed to replace the younger one.
(But note that the homonymy persists only as long as the two names are kept in the same genus. If you take one of the species back out of this genus subsequently, you must revert to the older name for the taxon that had its name replaced. Failing to do so is a relatively frequent mistake.)

If you extend Buteo to such an extent that it includes Leucopternis, you get a triple secondary homonymy, actually:
- Buteo borealis var. costaricensis Ridgway, 1874
- Leucopternis ghiesbreghti costaricensis W.L. Sclater, 1919
- Asturina nitida costaricensis Swann, 1922

Ridgway's name applies to the race of the Red-tailed Hawk and has priority.
The Gray Hawk has for a long time been placed in Asturina by some authors, in Buteo by others, and a replacement name has been proposed for Swann's name: Buteo nitidus blakei Hellmayr & Conover 1949.
But Leucopternis is a quite different case: this genus has never been merged with Buteo since the proposal of costaricensis by Sclater. (In fact, the definition of buteonine generic limits has traditionally rested on a Buteo vs. Leucopternis dichotomy; e.g., the usual reason cited in support of the recognition of Asturina has been that it was possibly closer to Leucopternis.) I doubt another available name exists.

Where could I find the next available name for it then?
You can try the WorldBirdInfo website, as this is a group that is covered there - go to the species' page, click "Display Citations, Note & Scientific Synonyms", and scan the citations for a synonym that could be used.
Otherwise, for American birds, Cory & Hellmayr's Catalogue of the Birds of the Americas and the Adjacent Islands usually has good synonymies, and is conveniently available online (e.g.: http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/Search.aspx?searchTerm=birds of the americas&searchCat=).
But neither cites a name that could be used in the present case.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back