• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (12 Viewers)

There were about a dozen Sand Martins yesterday at Mill of Strachan (thanks for the heads up Paul) and small numbers at Inchgarth Reservoir Cults. Loch of Skene is usually a good place to find them but I haven't looked there yet.

i'm based at woodend barn now but haven't seen any here yet. i shall keep you all posted though, i am hoping that this is secretely an awesome place to spot birds from.

There have certainly been Sand Martins passing over not far from Woodend Barn - a few went over as I was watching 5 Waxwings in Ash Tree Road yesterday evening (the Waxwings were still around this morning, at least). I'm not sure about awesome, Dave, but the Barn's got a reasonable view, so I'm sure if you stand outside long enough you'll see something good go over!
In case you don't know it, the best birding spot close by the Barn is Loch of Leys - well worth a look and a listen on a summer evening in particular, with Water Rails calling, Sedgies singing away, Woodcock roding etc. Also a good Starling roost in the winter, though they're tending more to use the reeds at Raemoir Fishery of late, as do hirundines late summer.

There have certainly been Sand Martins passing over not far from Woodend Barn - a few went over as I was watching 5 Waxwings in Ash Tree Road yesterday evening (the Waxwings were still around this morning, at least). I'm not sure about awesome, Dave, but the Barn's got a reasonable view, so I'm sure if you stand outside long enough you'll see something good go over!
In case you don't know it, the best birding spot close by the Barn is Loch of Leys - well worth a look and a listen on a summer evening in particular, with Water Rails calling, Sedgies singing away, Woodcock roding etc. Also a good Starling roost in the winter, though they're tending more to use the reeds at Raemoir Fishery of late, as do hirundines late summer.

clearly waxwings are taunting me. I've not seen a single one!

I keep meaning to take a walk round loch of leys but haven't made it yet. perhaps i'll head up there in the next couple of weeks.

best i've had so far is a red kite drifting towards tesco and a skylark in cracking voice the other morning as i walked up the road.

A truly fantastic morning and afternoon's birding at the Ythan today with Bonaparte's Gull being the highlight. I headed up this morning for another try for the King Eider, Iceland Gull and also a Scaup at Sands of Forvie. Unfortunately the King Eider was nowhere to be found amongst the many Common Eider this morning, but two Swallows were a new spring migrant for the year amongst the Sand Martins at the mouth of the Ythan. There was furthermore no sign of the Iceland Gull, so we headed up to Sands of Forvie for the female Scaup on Sand Loch. Sure enough, there was the female Scaup amongst a small possie of Tufted Ducks, a lovely bird and my first in Aberdeenshire since 2009.

At this point a Bonaparte's Gull was reported fom the Snub car park, and being just minutes away we left the Scaup to it and hurtled it down to the Snub car park overlooking the estuary, where the bird had been seen from. We arrived more or less at the same time as another birder, who got onto a roosting gull that was clearly smaller than the nearby Black-headeds with a darker grey back. I got onto the bird, and we waited for the bird to raise its head. It did, and we were able to confirm that we had the Bonaparte's Gull. Others arrived and we proceeded to have good views of the bird roosting and feeding at mid-distance from 14:00 - 14:30 when it flew downstream and out of view. This bird was a lifer for me so I am very privileged to have seen it and been there at the time. It has now been relocated off Inches Point, along with the Iceland Gull and a Little Gull as per birdguides. What a time the Ythan is having at the moment! Ken was there when I saw the bird so I hope he is part of the crowd that has relocated it and seen the Iceland Gull and Little Gull alongside side it and I should imagine he will have more to say about it

ATB,

Joseph

Last edited:
Great stuff, Joseph. You have been seeing some great birds recently - keep it up. Looking forward to seeing the pics on your blog...

Geoff

Great stuff, Joseph. You have been seeing some great birds recently - keep it up. Looking forward to seeing the pics on your blog...

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Unfortunately I wasn't able to manage any pics of the Bonaparte's Gull as it was too distant for photos and when it did a fly past the camera wasn't at hand! Yeah I've had a good time recently, currently down in Essex where I've had a singing Nightingale today (unfortunately didn't see it, never seen one so it would have been a lifer if I had seen it, I've heard a good few!). Going to be birding in Norfolk and Suffolk from Monday to Wednesday so hopefully this good run of birding will continue.

ATB,

Joseph

I had a great day at Fowlsheugh today, some good numbers on the cliffs and we counted 4 Puffin amongst the thousands of Fulmar, Kittiwake, Herring Gull, Guillemot and Razorbill. There was even a Peregrine out and about beyond the new shelter.

A great way to spend a gloriously sunny sunday.

Are there any Black Guillemots nesting (and accessible) on the East coast? Am doing an airport run and was going to call in a Troupe Head for the gannets and make a trip of it.

Black Guillemots do breed in the NE, but they are fairly scarce and I'm not sure there are any guaranteed locations. The north coast seems to be best (Troup head is a possibility), and particularly the coast from Rosehearty-Fraserburgh (but perhaps more so in the winter). South of Aberdeen I think there are a few at Muchalls and surrounding areas.

Anyone know about this (from birdguides):

21:45 11/04/11 White Stork Aberdeenshire Banchory
reported in Tesco car park

Cheers,

Phil

Black Guillemots do breed in the NE, but they are fairly scarce and I'm not sure there are any guaranteed locations. The north coast seems to be best (Troup head is a possibility), and particularly the coast from Rosehearty-Fraserburgh (but perhaps more so in the winter). South of Aberdeen I think there are a few at Muchalls and surrounding areas.

Thank you

There's a White Stork roosting on top of a light in the SW corner of the car park of Banchory Tesco's tonight - in sight of Woodend Barn! Origin as always a bit uncertain - could be the Kemnay bird (of unknown origin) of the last 2 springs, but also a good time for a genuine overshoot. I guess it's likely to be off early doors.

Marcus, perhaps try Crovie Head north of Gardenstown for Tysties if you're near Troup.

There's a White Stork roosting on top of a light in the SW corner of the car park of Banchory Tesco's tonight - in sight of Woodend Barn! Origin as always a bit uncertain - could be the Kemnay bird (of unknown origin) of the last 2 springs, but also a good time for a genuine overshoot. I guess it's likely to be off early doors.

Marcus, perhaps try Crovie Head north of Gardenstown for Tysties if you're near Troup.

jeebus! if that's gone by the time I get to work tomorrow I shall be pretty ticked off!

did you get a photo hugh?

jeebus! if that's gone by the time I get to work tomorrow I shall be pretty ticked off!

did you get a photo hugh?

I did get some photos, but they're pretty ropey. Harry Scott will have got much better ones, which I guess will appear in Scottish Birds/ the NES Bird report in due course. The finder also found it in better light, and got some photos.

The stork was still there this morning but flew off at around 9. It gained a fair bit of height before flying off over the Dee, I didn't see which direction it went sadly.

It does have ring on it's leg but it was in shadow while it was on the lamp and I couldn't get a good look at it. I spoke to someone earlier today who said they have captive storks at Camperdown park in Dundee, could it be one of theirs?

Beautiful bird though and seemed in good health.

Called by the stork at 5.30 this morning on my way to some dawn survey work. Regardless of its origin it was nice to see. I seem to remember seeing a free-flying stork at Blair Drummond Safari park last year (at least I assume it was free-flying as it was perched on a roof!)

Attachments

• Tesco Stork.JPG
    Tesco Stork.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Tesco Stork2.JPG
    Tesco Stork2.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 48

Users who are viewing this thread

Back