• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Different Canada Goose (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

Hi All

I did post this on Hants Go Birding with no response so will try on here. On Tuesday evening I stopped at the Redbridge Flyover to the West of Southampton looking for a few 'day ticks' and saw a Canada Goose which was different. It was noticeably smaller than the other normal flavoured ones, and had a wholly dark body except for a white bib. I would say it was more Brent sized.

So is this a freak or is it actually a Lesser Canada Goose (I think they are called Taverner's or Hutchinson's or something, sorry should do a bit more research!)?

It was a nice looking bird and I am quite surprised I noticed it!

Thanks in advance for information

Rob

PS Is it a tick?! :-O

Hi Rob, I did (try to?) send you an email via the website: it's indeed a Cackling/Lesser Canada Goose. I've seen it a few times in the same spot and have been told by the 'regulars' that it's a returning bird (every winter at least back to 2010). Based on it's size (tiny compared to the local Canada Geese!), dark plumage and white bib it's probably a minima. Whether it's feral or not is debatable - maybe contact the Hampshire rarities committee? (I'd be curious to find out as well so do let me know if you get an answer!)
Cheers,

N

There's been a minima kicking about coastal Hampshire for several years. I caught up with it at Farlington where it was blotting its copybook by hanging out with normal Canadas, but it also gets in with the feral Barnies. I rather think its around year round but perhaps on the IOW in summer. Non-starter. Sorry!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back