• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damselfly, Northants, 19/7/17 (1 Viewer)

string boozel

Hi, another request for I.D help. I saw this teneral damselfly at a pond at Weldon Northants. It was a large and rather robust specimen and clearly larger than Common Blue. I estimated it's length to be two to two and a half inches long, the feather that it's sitting on is a Mallard secondary if that helps to gauge size. The head shape appears to be wrong for Banded Demoiselle and I was leaning towards an emerald or perhaps a Red-eyed.

James

Attachments

• 030 (2).JPG
    030 (2).JPG
    442.8 KB · Views: 33
The damselfly is a Small Red-eyed, the exuvial case showing in the picture is the clue that should have tipped me off. This is the only species that emerges like this from the water, I clearly misjudged the size which given that there were a few adults about is a bit embarrassing. Still at the rate I'm learning I should be an expert by 2027!

James.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back