• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (1 Viewer)

Did not manage to get out in the goyt valley this weekend as we went to anglesy we called in at conway rspb on the way for coffee and cakes in the new cafe a1 , not a great deal of birds about some blacktailed godwits little egrets and shell ducks oh and about a dozen curlew On to anglesy and south stack we saw a few choughs loads of guilimots and razerbills a copuple of fulmars and stonechats and 3 puffins and as we were leaving a hooded crow the first we have seen in wales , and early morning walk i pick up a couple of gannets a wheatear and 3 more choughs We later went to hollyhead country park and saw a couple of ravens by the breakwater and 2 whitethroats on the low bushs nearby back to south stack to see the rock living birds again then on to cemlin bay for the te rns we got 3 types common artic and sandwitch ,then to finsh the weekend we called back at conway and saw a black swan here is a fat whitethroat

Attachments

• whitethroat.jpg
    whitethroat.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 168
Had another enjoyable day out in the valley. Lots of chicks about. Nuthatches, pied flycatchers, curlews and red grouse. Adult birds seen; grey wagtail, dipper, common sandpiper, greater spotted woodpecker, stonechat, buzzard, kestrels and various other common birds. Finally managed to catch up with a pair of Whinchats on the road between Derbyshire Bridge and the Cat & Fiddle.

Attachments

• whinchat.jpg
    whinchat.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 178
Peter, also on 13th on way out of Derbyshire Bridge on the left turn, had a Short-eared fly across just in front of the bonnet and then circle again. Meadow Pipit on stone on right. Also Grouse chicks around and a single Golden Plover on Axe Edge Moor

But point is met a guy up the road who said Ring Ouzel (nesting?) at the chimney near Dane Head on the Congleton Road. Have had a look but not seen although Wheatear family around. Have you heard anything?

Mike

yes wheatears around the dane head chimney and ringed ouzels but the ouzels are soon spoked and can be hard to see if you sit down on the banks keep out of sight the wheatears will be seen as they fly about , there are short eared owls but im not saying were on the internet you dont know who is looking at these posts baby nuthatch then unwanted guest

Attachments

• nuthatch.jpg
    nuthatch.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 163
  • woodpecker.jpg
    woodpecker.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 150
spotted fly still showing over bridge by the white hart in whaley bridge photo from a couple of days ago

Attachments

• spotted fly with flys.jpg
    spotted fly with flys.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 157
had a short walk in the valley on saturdaynothing much of intrest 2 buzzards 2 kestrals and 5 ravens on long hill on the way to the walk

went over to old moor yorkshire on sunday about 50 types of bird good day out also broomhill flash saw spoonbill at old moor photo on the yorkshire thread small vid on youtube spoonbill at old moor

back in the valley today heard the flapping of wings started to turn round expecting a flock of canada geese but suprize it was 5 mute swans the first i have seen on errwood ever Also saw pied fly spotted fly raven misle thrush grey wagtail stone chat golden plover red grouse common sandpiper jay and 7 or 8 kestrals and some posing meadow pipets

Attachments

• mp.jpg
    mp.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 81
Saw them mutes also yesterday on way back from Whaley, Peter - was also a bit surprised!. Still haven't seen the Ouzel on the Dane yet though.

Mike

another long walk in the valley bus to buxton walked back over burbage then down valley back to whaley bridge Quite a few common birds at the start of the walk but as i left buxton numbers lessened a few meadow pipets a reed bunting a grey wag tail then nothing for half a mile or so next sighting was a mistle thrush my attention was then drawn to a group of birds in a small tree to my left theese turned out to be whinchats 1 adult and 2 young warblers seem scare today willow seen chif chaff heard no sign of any flycatchers four or 5 kestral s no buzzards By the side of fernilee res a group of treecreepers mixed with the chaffinchs and a few siskins flitting in the tree tops below the res blackcap heard but not seen then masses of swallows and house martins a 100 or so of each the day was finished of by 4 dippers heres 1 of the little guys

Attachments

• dipper.jpg
    dipper.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 80
Out again today for an early long walk nothing much about at first as it was to early before 5 oclock saw a kingfisher and a dipper on the way up the river goyt nothing much on fernilee res 6 canada geese and a few mallards on the climb up to errwood dam i saw a tawney owl about 25yrds away ,nice . Went up the other side of errwood today for a change just a few chaffys and great tits on the feeders saw a blackcap at the top end apart from that just a few kestrals tyhe bird were quite today the veiws were good

Attachments

• below dam.jpg
    below dam.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 75
  • fernilee res.jpg
    fernilee res.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 86
  • errwood.jpg
    errwood.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 81
That's a super area, thanks for publicising it. Was a good walk when I didn't have a car, I'd get the bus to Buxton then Burbage and walk up to the tops then all the way down via the reservoirs to Whaley Bridge.i

fist trip down the valley for a long time trips to scotland suffolk and few trips to yorshire have got in the way, not realy expecting much as most of the summer birds have left did see quite a few meadow pipets and a suprizing amount of red grouse <at leest 20> there were a couple of mixed flocks of longtailed tits goldcreasts and coaltits and the odd chaffinch 1 kestral and while watching a flock of coal they started to become very distered alerting me to a sparrow hawk but the bird of the day was a peregrine seen much higher at the start of the walk no clues as theese are not realy welcome on grouse moors;)

went out for a long walk on wednesday from Combs reservoir then over the hills to Errwood then back down the valley. A few mallards and a couple of tuffted ducks were the only thing showing on Combs then a heron and at the top end a greater spotted woodpecker. 2 bullfinches on the trees on the road out of Combs brightened the morning up.
A kestrel posed for a while on some overhead cables just before Whitehall. A couple of meadow pipits and stonechats flitted about on the posts just before reaching Long Hill. The only thing I could see on Errwood Reservoir was 1 cormorant and numerous waves. Turning down onto Fernilee Reservoir 3 noisy Jays flew alongside then disappeared into the big trees. Half way down I spotted a flock of siskins, I would think about 20 - 25. On descending the dam I saw what could be my last housemartins of the year, a small flock of about 6. The rest of the trip down the valley was pretty uneventful except for 2 mistle thrushes.

Attachments

• Copy of pat 940.jpg
    Copy of pat 940.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 64
Walked from Combs Reservoir this morning over towards the Goyt Valley. Birds of note around the reservoir were lesser black backed gull, greater crested grebe, greater spotted woodpecker and at the top end a male teal. On the road out of Combs village a tree on the left hand side held a collection of mistle thrushes and redwings. Just before leaving the road a mixed flock of blue tits, long tailed tits and great tits also held a bullfinch. Quite a few chaffinches showing this morning but as yet no sign of bramblings. Descending into the valley through the drizzly rain I spotted a couple of jays and the walk down the far side of the Errwood reservoir turned up a very posey kestrel which I managed to photograph. The walk through the wooded area didn't really turn up much apart from a treecreeper and sawcouple of meadow pipits. Followed the road up to Derbyshire Bridge car park and then a track over the moors to drop down to Burbage. Saw 4 red grouse en route. Made my way down to the heart of Buxton via the Pavillion Gardens and was pleased to see a couple of little grebes on the boating lake.

Attachments

• a kestral.jpg
    a kestral.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 70
Another shorter walk today from coombs res over the tops to whaley bridge by the valley ,nothing much about today but i was walking at quite a pace because of the forcast for heavy rain and gales still a few redwings about and 4 or 5 jays but the star of today was this dipper

Attachments

• a dipper.jpg
    a dipper.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 68
Another shorter yesterday did not even make the goyt valley as really bad weather was forcast ,just walked around coombs res then back to whaley bridge via eccles rd first birds of note was the flocks of fieldfares and redwings quite a few flocks with 20+ in each flock the usual mallards a tuffty 2 greater creasted grebes a kingfisher and big group of canada geese normal stuff for here was supprized to see a woodcock down below the dam but would not go there again as the mud was so bad it came over my wellies The walk over eccles rd was uneventfull ecept for a kestral and a flock of starlings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2hABKSaZ1c

A LONG WALK today in misty rain wind and more rain managed to see 30 speices of bird mostly common ones but a few more interesting ones ,set of from coombs res walked to the topend and over the tops as i was dropping on to the buxton rd i saw 3 grey partridges ducked behind a walk to get my camara out when i heard a grunting sound a raven flying over i waited till it had gone looked over the wall the birds had gone Went down to errwood res and saw a flock of what i thought were siskins ,checked them for redpolls only to find they were all redpolls, saw 2 red deer in a rain storm on the moors and later 8 red grouse finshed the walk in buxton very damp

Attachments

• red deer.jpg
    red deer.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back