• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wander stopped in its' tracks. (1 Viewer)

clydeboy

I went out this morning for my now customary wander and was sneaking around in the bushes trying to get my Goldie "proof shot" when a guy shouted on me from his garden.(i did get the shot by the way).
When I went over towards him he asked me what we are building now? as he thought I was taking photographs for the local developement company for further developement.
When I told him I was taking pics of birds he said "Oh you'll be here to see the Kingfisher then?"................my heart stopped :eek!:.
My immediate thought, bearing in mind I'm in central Scotland and it is indeed January and Baltic, was "Kingfisher, aye right mate", but he said if you wait at that wee clearing I'll walk round and meet you. (there was a wee stream/river between his garden and me).
When he appeared he had a video camera with him, and showed me a vid of the Kingfisher which he had taken from his garden.
He then told me that he would show me where it was if I didn't tell anyone. o:D
We moved about 20 feet (honestly I thought he was taking the p**s) to where he said it would be, and we hid behind a bush and an old fence.
Within about 5 mins it appeared, and what a bird, I was knocked out, it was absolutely stunning.
It was in view for about 10 seconds before it whizzed off and out of sight.
I couldn't get a pic as we were looking through a bush obviously, and I wouldn't have been able to hold the camera steady anyway.
I will be back on a non working day with the camo gear on prepared for a long sit.
The guy then told me that if I met him tonight he would show me where 2 barn owls hang about and I'll be able to photograph them easily as they sit out in the open, again next to his garden.
This guy was brilliant and very knowledgable and knew where to find all sorts of stuff.
So not only did I see a bird I never expected to see, I have a new birding friend who can film kingfishers from his living room window, and in fact has a fantasy bird world to himself as he also had a green woodpecker in his garden yesterday.

WHAT A DAY.............................THE BEST YET. :-O:-O:-O:t:

Who's a lucky boy then!

Just goes to show that birders attract birders pretty much always to the good.

Wow! That's a great story Ian - sound's like you're going to be getting some great bird moments (well... and you already have!). Cheered me right up that has! :t:

This happened this morning, and I swear my heart is still racing.
The entire world has turned electric blue, or at least in my eyes.
The best of it is, that the guy isn't even a birder as such, as "wee birds" to him were probably finches and he mentioned a "white spotted woodpecker" too, as well as the shags I had seen the other day (cormorants).
I think he is just a guy who has taken to watching wildlife as he is surrounded by it, and seemed more excited by deer and foxes when we were talking.
Nonetheless he appeared delighted that he could share "his" wildlife park with me and that I was genuinely interested and impressed.
A really nice guy.

He wasn't a patch on the kingfisher though, and after saying I wouldn't tell anyone, I have no one left to tell ;)

The exact location is still a secret though.o:D

Maybe we should nominate this week as 'Kingfisher Week' ;) Seen one myself two out of the last 3 days now.

Nice one. Brilliant birds and good luck with the pics.

Thanks folks
I'm still on a high this morning, and can think about nothing else.
Even mission control :gh: noticed it :eek!: last night she was talking away about things in general and must have noticed that I was paying no attention whatsoever, because she stopped, paused, and then asked me if I had seen another "new Jurdie" today, as I obviously hadn't heard a word she had said.
These birds are going to get me into trouble.:-O

I didn't really believe the books when they said that you only get Kingfishers in southern Scotland as I remember seeing one when I was a kid (30 yrs ago) while "paddling" in the stream near my home, however I did realise that my chances of seeing one now were very small................until yesterday.
My new friend, whos' name I don't yet know as we never even introduced ourselves, probably due to the excitement from both parties, told me that this Kingfisher has been here for 6 years.
I seriously cannot wait to get back down to work tomorrow.
I never thought I'd see the day when I regretted Having a day off.

Oh, and I didn't get to go and see the owls as I couldn't escape, but they can wait for another day.....I wouldn't want this to become an obsession. o:D

Good to hear about your kingfisher!

I know of at least one pair in the west end of Glasgow which I have seen on and off for the last 4 years

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back