• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

Today's highlights Titchwell & Holme

Titchwell
Little stint - 14 juvs on fresh marsh 7am
Curlew Sand - 2 juvs
Red necked phalarope - 1 juv on fresh marsh
Pectoral sandpiper - 1 juv on fresh marsh mainly along eastern edge of marsh from first hide
Golden Plover c700
Ruff c50
Spot Shank - plenty!
Bearded Tit from 1st hide
Water Rail from first hide
Awesome light at 5PM lots of wonderful Lapwing & Avocet reflections!

Ta Chris

Myself and fellow BFer Richard Powell were there yesterday and had all of the above as well, plus a hobby, two eider, and an arctic Skua, red throated diver, (offshore). Lovely to watch the R N Phal spinning his little dance in the water, and Pec sand was a lifer for me. :t:

We were at Cley in the morning which was Bearded tit central! Nothing other than what we saw at Twitchwell of note at Cley (several curlew sand, little stints, wheatear etc).

Today we headed for Winterton Dunes and caught up with the wryneck which showed briefly near the "totem pole" in some bramble before being lost in cover. A UK lifer for me! Also a female redstart and a flock of siskins. a few record shots attached.

Attachments

• 2875075099_1ce99b7dc9.jpg
    2875075099_1ce99b7dc9.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 2875075083_e0eca87391.jpg
    2875075083_e0eca87391.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 2875075073_8a869656e5.jpg
    2875075073_8a869656e5.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 2875075061_37bf3c4dee.jpg
    2875075061_37bf3c4dee.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 101
Penny

I'd be interested to see the photos of the acro once they're up. The bird was certainly brighter when it came out into the sunlight, being noticeably cold in dead light. If nothing else, it was an instructive session in getting to grips with these young acros.

Lacking the usual seriousness of ID articles, but nevertheless very informative article on acros here:

http://www.freewebs.com/punkbirder/acroholics.htm

Hi all,
Does anyone know anything about the Walsey Hills Siberian Chiffchaff report ? The only reason i ask is because i had a Chiifchaff on my patch this morning giving the sharp peeoo call that you sometimes hear in the autumn (some autumns more than others it seems), although this bird only looked like a bog standard collybita, but the call could conceivably be confused with tristis.

The weather is looking pretty good for the next few days North/East winds and possible light rain at dawn tomorrow. With the first YBW's (and of course the bunting) turning up further north we should hopefully be seeing a few decent falls over the next few days, at least im hopefull anyway. The question is...Blakeney point or seawatching for tomorrow?? I guess a combo could be in order.

Ps on Birdguides it states the Icky at Hopton as 'reported' anyone know any more?
Ben

As jimbob rightly says, things are a bit quieter out here this weekend. Highlights from yesterday were Common Buzzard just south of the village at about 4pm and 2 Swifts south over the garden shortly after. The strange calling Chiffchaff was still present and a couple of skeins of Pinks were noted heading towards the Broads. Siskins were flying north up the coast this morning in small parties and quite tricky to pick up against the blue sky; their call easily gives them away though. I noted c40 between 8 and 10am. Meadow Pipits were noticeably passing south in small numbers too. Others of interest were 1w male Redstart, Willow Warbler and 3 Chiffchaffs, the latter which appeared in the garden early evening.

According to the weather charts we should be getting a couple of days of generally light northerlies, maybe hitting force 5 from mid-morning Tuesday. I don't expect too much to happen though as we're still dominated by high pressure. It should be back to easterlies from Thursday...

James

James-
forgot to add, I had around 100 Siskins in 3 different flocks between 10am and 1pm yesterday, as you say the call gives them away. Spoke to a couple on their holiday, bloke claimed someone had seen 4 Great Northern Divers offshore- surely not?!
Cheers,
Jim.

It wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility Jim but it's unlikely. There's been a few Red-throats already and lots of Cormorants...

James

Penny

I'd be interested to see the photos of the acro once they're up. The bird was certainly brighter when it came out into the sunlight, being noticeably cold in dead light. If nothing else, it was an instructive session in getting to grips with these young acros.

Hi Mike

Nice to meet you the other day (although I didn't know who you were until Chris Mills told me!) and thanks for finding an interesting warbler on the Holme patch!!!, Have just down 11 hour shift in the hospital today so too tired to post pics tonight. But promise to post them on here tomorrow night (Monday) - can't wait as if it is a Marsh Warbler that would be a fantastic new year tick;)!!!! I will also be emailing them to a few 'expert' ornithologists.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Red footed falcon at Titchwell

I know that I should be the best person to ask about this record but does anyone have any info on this bird? I was out without my pager (non birding) so didn't know about the report until Connor called to find out more. No report of it in the sightings book this morning.

Paul

Dotterel

Hi, can't see any reference to the Dotterel at Cley, has it been mentiond on here? Also, is it a regular occurance or more of a rarity? Thanks Guy's, Mick:t:

I know that I should be the best person to ask about this record but does anyone have any info on this bird? I was out without my pager (non birding) so didn't know about the report until Connor called to find out more. No report of it in the sightings book this morning.

Paul

I was at Titchwell yesterday at the time as the pager gave the Red-footed falcon, but nobody on the main path appeared to have seen it, which was odd. We did see a merlin, but as the pager stated male red-foot that doesn't explain it!

Hi, can't see any reference to the Dotterel at Cley, has it been mentiond on here? Also, is it a regular occurance or more of a rarity? Thanks Guy's, Mick:t:

The dotterel is a juvenile at the end of the east bank, and has been there a few days. It was just sitting there on the shingle yesterday, looking around but not standing up, even when oblivious people walked close to it, suggesting it might be injured. As far as I know, dotterel aren't very regular at Cley, travelling parties tend to be encountered on the east coast or at Choseley.

Last edited:
Hi Mick
Dont think anyone has mentioned it on here, thats not to say its not still around.
I wouldnt say the bird is a rarity, every autumn a small number of birds turn up at coastal locations, stopping off and feeding before migrating onwards. Difficult to tell when and where they will show up; I remember last year a small group were at Chosely near Titchwell for a while.
Cheers,
Jim.

How do,
As Denver Sluice is in Cambs, will you be sending your records into the Cambs county recorder? Cheers!
Jono Leadley

Oops - that was in reference to a much earlier message - I am hopeless at this BF malarkey!!
Sorry for any confusion caused!
Cheers

Whilst I am on here, can anybody suggest where I can get info about birding in the Sheringham area? I know Norfolk pretty well and have seawatched from S'ham in the past, but if one was to spend some time based in the town, are there any good local spots within easy walk of the town, eg Beeston Common etc? Mainly with migrants in mind...
Any info much appreciated.
Cheers

The dotterel is a juvenile at the end of the east bank, and has been there a few days. It was just sitting there on the shingle yesterday, looking around but not standing up, even when oblivious people walked close to it, suggesting it might be injured. As far as I know, dotterel aren't very regular at Cley, travelling parties tend to be encountered on the east coast or at Choseley.

I saw this bird on Friday evening and it seemed fine, it was feeding, preening and resting. I don't think they are very regular at Cley though there are always that pass through Norfolk.

Attachments

• dotterel_190908_0227.jpg
    dotterel_190908_0227.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 84

Paul

Hi Paul,

A cpl of my mates were at Titchwell yesterday when some birders (Loosely termed) started pointing out a bird flying away as a RF Falcon it then went out on the pagers as such only for it to turn back towards the bank & was clearly a male Kestrel

Hope that helps a little to solving it

Dave

Titchwell September 22nd

Today's highlights

Red necked phalarope - juv on fresh marsh all day
Pectoral sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh all day although elusive
Curlew sandpiper - 3 juvs on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 13 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 8 on fresh marsh
Brent goose - 4 west
Great skua - 1 offshore

Nice to see the wind picking up a bit and some rain - lets hope it drops something in - off to check the bushes!

Paul

Hi Paul,

A cpl of my mates were at Titchwell yesterday when some birders (Loosely termed) started pointing out a bird flying away as a RF Falcon it then went out on the pagers as such only for it to turn back towards the bank & was clearly a male Kestrel

Hope that helps a little to solving it

Dave

Thanks for the info

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back