• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Bats (1 Viewer)

Saw my first bats of the year today. Great to see. Not birds I know but cheered me up no end.

I remember seeing some bats around this time last year. Apparently It's quite common to see them in the day time now as they awake from hibernation and go out in search of food.

I remember seeing some bats around this time last year. Apparently It's quite common to see them in the day time now as they awake from hibernation and go out in search of food.

I saw a bat at my local patch on Christmas Day. I think that they will come out on mild evenings, even in winter.

I saw a bat at my local patch on Christmas Day. I think that they will come out on mild evenings, even in winter.

It must have been quite mild to see one at that time of year. Sometimes they are disturbed at their roosts so can be seen flying around even in colder weather.

Three days ago, Smokey Mountains of North Carolina.
Also, Yellow Rumped Warbler in Spring plumage!!!!!!

While birding at my local swamp we had a "Little Brown Bat" out feeding on moths.

We met another Birder who saw the same thing further up the road. The temps were in the 40's and it flew in an area of about 60ft. x 40ft., great to see.

While talking we spied a Blue Bird checking out nest holes, I'm a digiscoper and I hope they find a natural cavity facing the road!!

One can only hope ;-)

Bob

I haven't seen any bats out yet but during the Summer evenings they like to fly over and around our pool. In the evenings I would sit out on our deck and about dusk if watching you could see them flying above all over the place. I think last year I counted about 12 of them. After dark of course I don't see them not enough light.

Oh first Mosquito last night..jumped for joy at that one...can't wait for the Barn swallows and Flycatchers to eat the skeeters up.

Noctules, Daubenton's Bats and Soprano Pipistrelle so far - quite a few UFB in the dusk as well. Spring is not the only thing in the air.

John

I see bats in mild weather regularly, throughout every winter, not unusual at all. I presume these are pipistrelles, and am always a little concerned as to whether this behaviour indicates they are under pressure and vulnerable.

One evening about a month ago I saw masses at several sites (all with trees).

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back