• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need help! (1 Viewer)

Alabamaline

I know there have probably been a thousand of this type of thread on here but I really need help.
Is there anything better for the money than the atlas radians 8x42?
This will be my first real binoculars. I have fallen in love with birding, I just wasn't to make sure I get the best I can afford.

If you are looking for something comparable in price, specs and performance then the Zen Ray Vista should also be considered. And for only about $40 more you could also consider the Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 or 8x42.

I think the Vista and the Radian are likely as good as it gets at that price point. With either one you will get a completely useful an field worthy binocular. There are a couple of things with comparing various binoculars that you will just have to figure out for yourself. Magnification and focus for two. What feels good in your hands for another. Trying to figure out what there is in a view you want. You will come to the conclusion, that for you, what works won't always work for somebody else and vice versa.

So what you will get is an inexpensive decent, usable starting point, a place to begin your optics education.

I would say to you that the best thing you can do is after you make a purchase, is just go use the binocular. Try and enjoy it for its strengths. They will all have their faults and idiosyncratic demons, so don't go looking for the fault. If the fault is there to a degree to bother you, you will know it soon enough.

I would suggest the Leupold Acadia as another choice. Another possibility is a Nikon Action in 7x35 or 8x40. These are porros and will give you a somewhat different view, will be a little less money, but the Action won't be waterproof.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back