• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Portugal 23.07.2020 (1 Viewer)

There are some debate around this bird , i have identify it as a Eurasian stone-curlew.

Can i have other opinions please.

Attachments

• al-110.jpg
    al-110.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 154
Short looking legs, wrong wing shape with no broad and black trailing edge contrasting with white underwings, I can't see a stone-curlew here. Can't put a name on it though. Any other pics?

I don’t think this is identifiable tbh - I can’t see a lark or pipit with the (pink?) feet projecting from the utcs like that though.

Am I right in thinking that the image has been heavily cropped? If so, does the original photo contain anything else which would give us an indication of the size of the bird and its surroundings?

What did the photographer think they were taking a photo of ? Do they have much knowledge of bird species? It would be of interest to share what the other people thinks the subject bird is.
Thank you.

What did the photographer think they were taking a photo of ? Do they have much knowledge of bird species? It would be of interest to share what the other people thinks the subject bird is.
Thank you.

Pat , the photographer has already some good birding knowledge and he had thought initially on stone-curlew but has not sure , that,s why he had submit the picture in our local forum.
There are a few more experimented birders that have also identifying some traces of stone-curlew in the picture although wing shape does not generate consensus.
We also have tried to size the bird with the photographer but he cannot recall since the bird has at a considerable distance.

Pat , the photographer has already some good birding knowledge and he had thought initially on stone-curlew but has not sure ,

It is not clear to me that he thought of Stone curlew in the field, I think he only thought that when he looked at the photo. In reality it is not even clear that he saw the bird, it may have been caught by chance when he was photographing another species ...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back