• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ35 vs FZ45 vs FZ100 (1 Viewer)

MJinCO

I'm a NOOB here and don't have a camera at this point. Looking mainly at the Panasonics and have included the FZ35 as they can be picked up here for about $200. As background we winter in Mexico and I'd love to get pictures of the Trogans and Mot-Mots that live in the jungle around Palenque. For this lower light(the canopy gives muted lighting) is the FZ100 a better investment than the FZ45 or even the FZ35 with a TC for approximately the same cost. I not going to put out the money for a Nikon 400mm lens for my wife's D40, or lug around that weight. Your opinions will be appreciated.

I only use a Superzoom (Panasonic FZ28), but I'd think you'll struggle in the poor light you'll be faced with. I've looked carefully at reviews/images of the Panasonics you've mentioned, and I've not been persuaded to upgrade from the FZ28. However, of the 3 cameras you mention, I'd go for the FZ38 (35?).

To give you an idea of what you can expect in poor light, my gallery contains many such images, but taken with the FZ28. Basically, if the picture is a bird in my garden, it was taken in poor light - through double glazed windows - and hand-held. I'm quite happy to take pictures at 1/25th second hand-held, and the IS on the FZ38 is better than my FZ28.

One other thing; although I do sometimes use ISO 800, with acceptable results, I mostly limit the ISO to 400.

My gallery is here:

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/page/1/ppuser/69033

And one I uploaded today was poor light and 1/25th second shutter:

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/359336/ppuser/69033

Hope some of that helps.

I'm a NOOB here and don't have a camera at this point. Looking mainly at the Panasonics and have included the FZ35 as they can be picked up here for about $200. As background we winter in Mexico and I'd love to get pictures of the Trogans and Mot-Mots that live in the jungle around Palenque. For this lower light(the canopy gives muted lighting) is the FZ100 a better investment than the FZ45 or even the FZ35 with a TC for approximately the same cost. I not going to put out the money for a Nikon 400mm lens for my wife's D40, or lug around that weight. Your opinions will be appreciated.

As Chris suggests, poor light shooting is one of the weak points of superzooms. It sounds as though you don't need a camera right away, so I'd suggest waiting until comparative reviews of the latest superzooms, e.g. Fuji HS20, etc., come out and see which comes out on top for low light shooting/high ISO performance. You might also consider the Panasonic GH2, which is considerably more expensive, but I believe more reasonable in price and weight than the Nikon you mention. (Niels on this forum may chime in with more info on the latter).

Best,
Jim

That quality of picture would be wonderful for my purposes, I'm not trying to be a perfectionist at all. When we have been down to see the Sandhill Cranes wintering in New Mexico the pros use a big Canon DSLR with a 600 to 800 lens on a tripod, and I have no interest in going there. One vote for the FZ35.

Good advice from Jim, with regard to waiting; as a newer model might indeed have better High ISO performance (Although TBH Jim, I'm starting to lose what little hope I had|=)|).

Oh, and so there's no confusion:

I took 12 pictures of the Jay in the tree, only 5 are worth keeping. So although I'm happy using slow shutter speeds, you have be prepared for a few blurred pictures as well.

[EDIT: posting at the same time as Chris].

That quality of picture would be wonderful for my purposes, I'm not trying to be a perfectionist at all. When we have been down to see the Sandhill Cranes wintering in New Mexico the pros use a big Canon DSLR with a 600 to 800 lens on a tripod, and I have no interest in going there. One vote for the FZ35.

I think the quality of the photo is a tribute to Chris' photographic ability; I expect he picked one of his best low light photos to show you, so I wouldn't put too much weight on those photos. His photos also don't look like the conditions you are likely to encounter in forest canopy.

I have the FZ18; I might get a few low light photos to come out like that, but only a few. FZ28 is supposed to be a bit better in that respect though.

Best,
Jim

Those two pics of the Jay and Spotted woodpecker are really good Chris....what distance were you from the birds....and where in London are you....getting those birds.....I live in North London and get nothing like those....only Great/Blue tits LT tits etc!!
Terry

I have so far insufficient experience with the GH2 - but I will try to collect experiences in this thread as they come along.

With the FZ18, I went to Costa Rica over Christmas/new year, and frustrations with the number of severely shaken images made me pull the trigger on the GH2. In CR, I had several days with rainy conditions on top of being inside the rainforest, so photo taking was really challenging.

Niels

I am

Those two pics of the Jay and Spotted woodpecker are really good Chris....what distance were you from the birds....and where in London are you....getting those birds.....I live in North London and get nothing like those....only Great/Blue tits LT tits etc!!
Terry

I'm in Tottenham, Terry. Jays and GSW are all over London, it's just a matter of tempting them into your garden. Jays like Monkey Nuts; GSWs like Fatballs (especially in Winter, and Lard works well) and will also feed from Peanut Feeders.

Both pictures were taken from about 20ft; allowing for the slight light loss from the Double Glazing, and reflections/smudges, you start to lose detail beyond that range. Of course in the open, or with the TCON17 attached, you can get good detail even if the subject is distant; although good light helps.

There's a good mix of birds at my local Reservoirs (Walthamstow) if you are in the area; I can guarantee that you'll see 50+ species in a couple of hours (including Kestrels, but will depend on the time of day). PM me if you want any further details, I've been going over there for over 30 years, so I've learned where most (but not all|=)|) of the good spots are.

Hi, I don't think there is much difference between the three cameras you've mentioned in low light performance. All will give similar results. I have an FZ18 and an FZ100 and the low light performance between those two are very similar. Where the FZ100 stands out above the rest is in its shooting rates, its way faster than the others, as it can fire off 11 frames per sec (not in low light) at full resolution and I often use 40 FPS, which has allowed me to get action shots that I don't think would be possible with the other two. It also has the advantage of the articulated screen, which can be handy in some instances, but isn't a deal breaker. It is more expensive than the other two, but if you can afford it, I think its the best option.

I used an FZ45 for almost six months until I dropped it, (no extended warranty) I found it to be a excellent a round camera, currently using a Fuji HS10 but to date my impression is that the FZ45 was the better camera.

dont forget the high quality video of the panasonic. Would be really good for the cranes in flight.

toad, FZ38.

I think the Panasonics from FZ35/38 onwards are still the only superzoom cameras that allow you to adjust the shutter speed and aperture in video mode. This can be important if you want to "freeze" a frame of a bird in flight or flapping its wings. If you set a high shutter speed it will allow you to get a clear still image rather than a blurred one. As far as I'm aware, all the other superzooms set the shutter and aperture automatically.

I have so far insufficient experience with the GH2 - but I will try to collect experiences in this thread as they come along.

With the FZ18, I went to Costa Rica over Christmas/new year, and frustrations with the number of severely shaken images made me pull the trigger on the GH2. In CR, I had several days with rainy conditions on top of being inside the rainforest, so photo taking was really challenging.

Niels

I am

Hi Niels,

Just wondering how things were going with the GH2. If I am interpreting your post correctly, you seemed unhappy with it, or were you referring to the FZ18?

I had some unhappiness with the FZ18 in Costa Rica which made me purchase the GH2.

The GH2 does take some getting used to when coming from a superzoom, but the results are better: I have had more positive comments per image in the gallery with this than with the old FZ18. But, there is the issue of less depth of field that one has to contend with. For carrying over my shoulder, the GH2 + 100-300 is about the same as the more heavy superzooms, so no problem at all. I need to have a slightly bigger bag around to make sure I can keep the GH2 dry in the case of rain.

Some more comment in this thread http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=195500

And a link to my gallery here in BF, of the last 12, about 9 were with this setup (and the previous ones with the FZ18): http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/7427

Niels

Hi,

I took the plunge and have recently purchased a FZ45.

I note that when the camera is turned off, i.e. the lens is retracted in its housing, there is a very slight rattle/movement of the lens in its housing.

When the camera is on and the lens is in the min or max position it is taut and this free play has gone.

From scouring the web this afternoon I think this "rattling in the housing" is a "characteristic" of such a camera and possibly of the FZ series in general. Anyone else noticed this with the FZ 45 or cameras of this series? Hope I'm not getting myself unduly worried.

JG

Hi,

I took the plunge and have recently purchased a FZ45.

I note that when the camera is turned off, i.e. the lens is retracted in its housing, there is a very slight rattle/movement of the lens in its housing.

When the camera is on and the lens is in the min or max position it is taut and this free play has gone.

From scouring the web this afternoon I think this "rattling in the housing" is a "characteristic" of such a camera and possibly of the FZ series in general. Anyone else noticed this with the FZ 45 or cameras of this series? Hope I'm not getting myself unduly worried.

JG

Hi Johno
No need to worry. My FZ150 has the same rattle as you describe when shut off.
Enjoy the FZ45 :t:
Hobbes

I have been using a FZ45 FOR 18mths and still learning to use all the settings :) Hadn't noticed any movement in the lense. Just had a look, yes there is slight side to side movement. Don't worry about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back