• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetit activity (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
Two lots of excitement today - for the first time we had 2 bluetits in Box 1 at the same time, very briefly. Whether these birds are a pair, or rivals for this desirable home we cannot tell.

Box 2 had to be re-sited, as the tree where it has been for two seasons split at the bottom just before Christmas. We first noticed that the box was at a strange angle, then investigated when it became worse. Fortunately the tree did not fall down, so there was no damage to the cabling. I noticed some bluetits fluttering around in another tree while the damaged one was removed and chopped up

This morning Malcolm installed it in a nearby tree, and it is already being visited. The last check of the box was done at 13.16.17 (hours minutes and seconds). A little beak showed at 13.22.39, a head at 13.28.46 and then at 13.28.52 a bird went right inside. At the second visit, the bird stayed inside for 5 minutes, during which period a beak was seen at the entrance. There was just one more visit after that.

Attachments

• Forumpic1.jpg
    Forumpic1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Forumpic2.jpg
    Forumpic2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 200401241100291.jpg
    200401241100291.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 127
Looking set for a good year Elizabeth.

I did see two Great Crested Grebes facing each other then going alongside each other then facing each other. Wonder if this is pairing up.

There were a pair of Robins next to each other at Rye Meads.

Think they are going to get a COLD shock next week!

Looking good Elizabeth, I just hope that if this cold snap is as bad as they predict, that they can survive!! fingers crossed.
bert.

If they have any sense ,Elizabeth,they will be well tucked up in your box by Tuesday.I will keep watching your site during the Spring,I can't wait to see them feeding the chicks .
Christine

christineredgat said:
If they have any sense ,Elizabeth,they will be well tucked up in your box by Tuesday.I will keep watching your site during the Spring,I can't wait to see them feeding the chicks .
Christine

We haven't seen any bird roosting in the box as early as this - and apart from when there were some funny goings-on one year, it's just one bird that roosts at any time.

Must be something in the air! I put up a bird box a few weeks ago and lo and behold this morning I've had three inspections thus far from a pair of Blue-tits!

P.S. excellent website Elizabeth - I'm sure I'll be glued to it in the next few months!

Last edited:
Well having spent much of the day observing, I've now lost count of the visits to the birdbox. One of them has begun something a little strange - clinging to the bottom and tapping away at the base of the birdbox repeatedly for the past couple of hours, sometimes with the other Bluetit observing. What are they doing? Testing the durability of the box? It's a 1B nestbox.

Hi SimonG.
this is somtimes the male trying it out for size, and just chipping around the edges to leave his mark, if
the femle is nearby he will keep flicking his white cheek patches to try to entise her to try the site.
if he wins her over and she likes the site they should set up home together!!
bert.

bert said:
Hi SimonG.
this is somtimes the male trying it out for size, and just chipping around the edges to leave his mark, if
the femle is nearby he will keep flicking his white cheek patches to try to entise her to try the site.
if he wins her over and she likes the site they should set up home together!!
bert.

This is very interesting, Bert - but how can you tell which is male and which is female? Malcolm had some theories last year about the difference in the head feathers, but this was only after watching one of our pairs at close quarters for a very long time, when he could tell by the courtship behaviour which was which.

Hi Elizabeth.
Its not an easy ID with blue tits, and nothing in birding is one 100% but I find that the female always tends to be very dull, were the male is to me viberant with a very pronounced blue "Beret"
I like malcoms idea about head feathers, has he found any detail difference? I would be interested
to hear his theories. might help more with ID of these little beauties.
bert.

bert said:
Hi Elizabeth.
Its not an easy ID with blue tits, and nothing in birding is one 100% but I find that the female always tends to be very dull, were the male is to me viberant with a very pronounced blue "Beret"
I like malcoms idea about head feathers, has he found any detail difference? I would be interested
to hear his theories. might help more with ID of these little beauties.
bert.

Hi Bert - I'll have to search back on our website - I think he went into some detail about this, but I can't pinpoint it right now.

Last year the female in Box 2 had a decidedly strange appearance. It started with a slight disturbance of her feathers on one side, but developed until she was in a dreadful state. I'll attach a photo - very poor quality, because it was taken through a double glazed window. We are wondering if she is back this year - on both mealworm feeders we are getting visits from a bluetit who has just the same appearance as Fluffy had at first.

Attachments

• Fluffyondish.jpg
    Fluffyondish.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 110
The photo is quite good, I wonder if she suffered
a parasitic infection when nesting? it somtimes happens with over sitting no fresh air and exercise,
may sound daft but they need to get about, any
thoughts? I realy would be grateful if you found
anything on your site about the head feathers
for ID, thanks
bert.

Hi Bert

try this answer by Elizabeth to me ages ago

"No - I can tell you right away - Malcolm has found a way of searching within a whole website via Google. Go to Feb 21st 2003, and this will also give a lead to further thoughts on the matter.

PS Just editing to add another date - Tues 4th June 2002. Pictures showing the difference in the head feathers."

Thanks Pete - Malcolm was just starting the search all over again! :eek!:

Bert - there are more comments if you read further on in the June entries.

I'm not sure about the parasitic infection, the first mention we made of the problem was on Monday 17th February 2003 and it just became progressively worse. None of the chicks showed any sign of the problem, so it's a mystery.

Hi Elizabeth.
had a look at your website,Feb 21st and Malcolms
Ideas of head feathers,for ID its interesting, Iam
going to get back to the books midnight oil could be a burning!!!
bert.

Elizabeth& Malcolm.
Just had a look at 4th june 2002, and at victor, as
you say malcolm there is seperation between the blue "Beret" and the collar and yes it is a deeper blue in the male, & very pale in the female, I still
cant find a real difference in the structure of head
feathers, but its opened up a great area for debate.
bert.

Hi Bert - I wonder if anyone else has any theories about bluetits' head feathers apart fron the brightness. Malcolm is now trying to convince himself that Fluffy has returned. This little bird certainly seems to know her? way around the box.

Hi Elizabeth.
burnt the midnight oil a bit to much last night-this
morning, nearly missed the alarm. I have asked a few questions of people i thought might have some new ideas, its funny all i got was mmmm interesting
great help!! any way just having a look at the threads, got to pick my wife up in 1/2 hour, have you and malcom any more thoughts?
bert

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back