• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk - Northeast Illinois (1 Viewer)

RJP

This is a cropped pic of a high-flying hawk along the Illinois/Indiana border about 5 miles south of Lake Michigan, on June 7.

Attachments

• mystery raptor.jpg
    mystery raptor.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 49
It doesn’t look like RTH, am wondering if Broad-winged Hawk might be a contender?

Although the area is clearly in breeding range, Broad-wingeds are uncommon around here outside of migration. Not impossible, but we consider it a pretty big deal when we see one June - August.

This 2nd pic of the same bird just became available.

Attachments

• Myster raptor 2.jpg
    Myster raptor 2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 31
The pale rectangular panels behind the primaries are field marks of juvenile Red-tailed Hawks.

Understood, but if RTH was expecting to see dark patagial marks at least on the first pic, and they don't seem to be present.

Understood, but if RTH was expecting to see dark patagial marks at least on the first pic, and they don't seem to be present.

I wish the pictures were bigger. It is hard to rule out a RTH from them. The patagial marks can be hard to see on darker morph RTHs.

Both the Eastern RTH, borealis, and the Western RTH, calurus, are found in Illinois and Indiana according to the field maps in Wheeler's "Raptors of Eastern North America" and the Western RTH has a number of darker morphs.

Bob

Last edited:
I'm not getting any sort of a Red-tailed Hawk feel from this bird.

Surely it's not Red-shouldered, leaving Broad-winged as the only other option.

Hopefully others will comment as well.

I'm not getting any sort of a Red-tailed Hawk feel from this bird.

Surely it's not Red-shouldered, leaving Broad-winged as the only other option.

Hopefully others will comment as well.

After another review of a photo in Wheeler's Eastern Edition; it looks like it could very well be a Broad-wing. See the 2nd picture here in where the bird shows a black band along the base of its wings and windows on the primaries.

Broad-wings have a black band on the edge of the under wing coverts. Also Wheeler comments about a picture of a juvenile Broad-Wing at Plate #239 (Eastern Edition) that "Rectangular window may show on primaries."

Bob

Last edited:
To be honest my first gut reaction was Broad-winged, but I suppressed it because of the paucity of local birds. However, looking at my older Wheeler & Clark photographic guide, I see a pic of a Broad-winged gliding that has a virtually identical shape and wing set (happens to be a dark morph, but that's irrelevant). And a backlit bird that shows the square panels. So this sounds promising.

Appreciate the help so far, and other thoughts still welcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back