• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deserts of California (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

I think about starting in LA airport and maybe drive at first to bird areas of San Diego. I do not no how how it takes by car, because LA is a very hugh town.

Back to north are 2 possibilities.
1. on the west site of the mountains to Sequoia NP and Kings Canyon
2. on east side via Morjave desert ( maybe also Joshua Tree NP )

How is the desert in June ?
Is there still flowers in higher areas ?

How is the west area of the mountains ?

Best regards
Dieter

I know one thing about the desert in June here, its hot, hot HOT! Flowers in areas close to the desert have by now for the most part gone. Birding action here in Los Angeles hasn't been very good lately, but has picked up with the recent cool down. I would try cooler places where the birds might go to try and find refuge from the heat. Canyon's are good areas, thanks to the bottoms being shaded for the most of the day.

Crystal Cove, (close to Newport Beach) has a Roadrunner, and plenty of California Quails.

The Mojave and Joshua tree will be very hot this time of year, well over 100 during the day. Better bet would be Kings canyon, Sequioa which in higher elevations will be cooler and there will still be some flowers around as you get higher up. Wildflower season for most of the desert areas is March, April time, but in the Sierras there will be some good flowers.

Driving time from LAX to San Diego would be about 3 hours but could take 8 depending on traffic.

http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/county.htm

Last edited:
Desert

Hello,

the people there told me the same.
So I travelled from LA on the coast to Ventura, via lake Casitas and Los Padres mountains to lake Isabella.
From there to north ( Sequoia State Forest, Sequoia NP, Kings Canyon NP, Yosemite NP ) to Mono Lake.
The lake area is rather like high desert. But the high areas had snow until end of May and some rain.
The dry area had some bushes and also lots of wild flowers in some areas.
It looks if some people created a garden.

Completely different was Butano State parc and Henry Cowell Forest near coast. In the deep forest was a lot of ferns, many of them more than 5 feet tall.

Best regards
Dieter

Attachments

• DSC00161 Los Padres.JPG
    DSC00161 Los Padres.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC00775 June Lake.JPG
    DSC00775 June Lake.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00817 June Lake.JPG
    DSC00817 June Lake.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC00818  June Lake.JPG
    DSC00818 June Lake.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC00819 June Lake.JPG
    DSC00819 June Lake.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back