• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (1 Viewer)

Crows “cawing”, feral pigeon flock “clattered” over the roof and the Woodpigeons exploded from the gardens...I activated the “bridge” then as I was pre-focusing...Gos at roof height going North, got off a seven frame burst!...four empty and a single crow in the three remaining.:-C

An hour spent outback 2-3 Treepers! (normally averages out one treeper every four outings), couple of Goldcrest, Grey Wagtail and a very confiding male Sprawk attempting to break off twigs (presume nest building material).

Returned back to “station” cup of tea in hand...a high South flying Goosander, no.55...

So much for your other nickname 'Quick draw McGraw' Ken, I'm surprised at you missing the target:eek!:

A slow thaw here, but snow melted from the farm roof enabling the latest addition to warm its toes:

43 White Wagtail

Two days earlier than last year's first and one day earlier than in 2018 (they must be birds that have wintered in Switzerland with timing like that ;) )

With that species Richard, I have an almost 99% miss rate. :eek!:

You’ll have to get those crows to caw louder!

Looking out of the kitchen window as I was peeling potatoes just now and a

44 Grey Heron

lumbered over and down towards the Nant Bruyant , noisy stream in English. It will certainly be making some noise tomorrow when the milder temps and torrential rain arrive ( the stream, not the heron;)).

Last edited:
March 6th.

48. Skylark - an unseen calling bird migrating over

My gripping friend now tells me he has had 2 Whooper Swans over his house, so that's three biggies he is up on me this year.

Steve

Still lagging behind most of you but more signs of movement today, agroup of c20 Alpine Chough were unusual visitors, they were clambering around one of our straggly wild rose (dog rose?) bushes and picking off the hips, I'm glad I didn't prune it last autumn now. They were presumably making their way up to the mountains from their wintering site down in the nearby town of Thônes as surely was the second visitor, a smart male

45 Rock Bunting

This is an uncommon, but regular passage bird for us, six records in four years, all falling between February and early April.

Attachments

• b fou 2.jpg
    b fou 2.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Apart from a “rare” Redwing atop my Ash tree this am, just the regulars on show today. Watching the Wales-England match, at half time popped upstairs for my recharging phone, where I caught sight of a Buzzard surfing through the canopy, swiftly followed by two Legrets dropping into the wood/stream outback. Looked down checking phone, when I heard an odd unknown dysallibic call!, looked up to see a silhouetted goose flying low and North..still calling. I then checked Xeno canto for the “suspect”...and suspicions proved correct...Greater-White Fronted Goose. no.56. presume the same bird as last year still in the vicinity. :eek!:

On a roll now, having had a pair of (non seen from house) Kestrels c400m away, it is with great pleasure that I can now add a male of the aforesaid to the list! no.57.

Last edited:
If it's a single resident Greater White-fronted Goose in London you're right to be suspicious Ken, how far are you from Smithfield Market?;);)

Ticking along here with the first

46 Bullfinch

today, a nice male. Needless to seay the Rock Bunting bu - - ered off as soon as it arrived, obviously in a hurry to try out the slopes before the snow melts....

If it's a single resident Greater White-fronted Goose in London you're right to be suspicious Ken, how far are you from Smithfield Market?;);)

I’ve subsequently found that there have been two birds reported from Dagenham Chase Richard over the last few weeks at least, whose to say as to their authenticity? IMO anything with webbed feet and talons might well be of suspect provenance. :eek!:

March 9th.

49. Meadow Pipit - obvious passage NW of eight seen and three heard
50. Greylag Goose - two ferals over, amazed I have gone so long without any

Also a trickle of adult LBBGulls going NW this morning.

Steve

I am hearing an Owl as I type this. Not sure what type of Owl, though. Working on getting an ID from a video.

Moving in 45 days, so this may be the last addition to this list.

Still lagging behind most of you but more signs of movement today, agroup of c20 Alpine Chough were unusual visitors, they were clambering around one of our straggly wild rose (dog rose?) bushes and picking off the hips, I'm glad I didn't prune it last autumn now. They were presumably making their way up to the mountains from their wintering site down in the nearby town of Thônes as surely was the second visitor, a smart male

45 Rock Bunting

This is an uncommon, but regular passage bird for us, six records in four years, all falling between February and early April.

That fellow behind the Rock Bunting is something I have been waiting - and his cousin too. (They have been very rare anywhere (in Finland) in this "Winter").

This morning I got nice kitchen window tick:

#29. White-tailed Eagle

That fellow behind the Rock Bunting is something I have been waiting - and his cousin too. (They have been very rare anywhere (in Finland) in this "Winter").

This morning I got nice kitchen window tick:

#29. White-tailed Eagle

Super your eagle Wari, yes I've got all your Bramblings here, still c70 feeding every day, the males even singing since last Thursday.
Keep checking your feeders for Azure Tit, Porvoo isn't that far away :eek!:

Couple of extras here over the last fortnight. I saw my first red-winged blackbird of the year locally yesterday, so I suspect things are about to get more interesting (don't tell my winter stalwarts I said that, they've kept me going the last few months!)

14 Red Crossbill
15 Bald Eagle
16 Purple Finch

My birding buddy in Ottawa (30km SW) had a 17 garden bird day yesterday - I could have hibernated and caught up in a day!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back