• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tit Behaviour (1 Viewer)

Chriz P

Hello all, I’m looking for some kind of explanation for the behaviour that has occurred over recent days and I’m hoping that someone here might help.

I’ve had my blue tit bird box and camera set up in several places over the past 6 or so years without any luck but this year I repositioned it without much expectation but within hours there was lots of interest and the first night up it was being used to roost in.

Now I’m a little naive here, I thought this was all going to be fluffy clouds and lady bird books. So, she built a nest, laid 9 eggs with only 4 hatching last week, both male and female carrying out their duties well, chicks growing quickly.

I can view the action remotely from my phone and proudly show anybody that I manage to corner the live footage and most people seem interested.
A few days ago this happened and I noticed that there was some phrenetic behaviour happening in the box. With closer inspection I could see an adult blue tit in the box who was not either the resident male or female but an intruder.
I assume it was another male and over the course of the next hour or so, proceeded to rough up the nest and kill the chicks. It was sad and distressing to watch as you could imagine.

The resident pair returned with food and seemed confused. The female did roost in the box that night but not on the nest but towards the edge. She didn’t roost there last night, which was the first night she hadn’t.
I’m guessing it was a rival protecting its territory to enhance the chances for its own young.

My question is, is this common blue tit behaviour and will they re-use the nest or should I clear it out as there are now the dead chicks in there? Thanks for your time.

The actions are most likely as you described it, a rogue male defending it's own or killing a brood. Maybe an unpaired individual. The nest contents are best removed ( upsetting of course ) and everything cleaned ready for next year. I doubt it will be used again this year but strange things happens.

Hello everyone thank you for your input ,but I have another question about the blue tits.
I seen mum in & out of her box but becoming less so ,now the last time I actually watched mum was three days ago when she left the box early morning , but nothing since then . Is it possible she's now gone for good as I feel there are eggs since she's been roosting in there over night but as I said nothing now for 3days . any information would be helpful
Jayne

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back