• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Polar Bear:Spy on the Ice 20.00pm-21.00pm BBC1 29/12/2010 (1 Viewer)

Watch this now!!!!!!!

On BBC1 8pm until 9pm.

One of the most fascinating natural history documentaries I have EVER seen!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wylng

"Shot mainly using spy cameras, this film gets closer than ever before to the world's greatest land predator.

Icebergcam, Blizzardcam and Snowballcam are a new generation of covert devices on a mission to explore the Arctic islands of Svalbard in Norway. Backed up by Snowcam and Driftcam, these state-of-the-art camouflaged cameras reveal the extraordinary curiosity and intelligence of the polar bear."

I've just realised this wasn't on in Scotland, instead it was Holby City! I'll need to catch up using i-Player.

If it hadn't been for the heads up on this forum I would never have caught this program. Why was there no previews to make viewers aware or did I just miss them? Outstanding footage and I thought Tennant's narration was first class.

I've just realised this wasn't on in Scotland, instead it was Holby City! I'll need to catch up using i-Player.

That would make for good tv viewing - take the cast of of a few soaps and release them into the frozen wastes to fend for themselves ... ;)

Good prog (excellent). Always a bit dubious that the commentary gets made up a bit to make the story fit, but I guess in this case I do actually believe them. Guess there's hope yet ...

Watch this now!!!!!!!

On BBC1 8pm until 9pm.

One of the most fascinating natural history documentaries I have EVER seen!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wylng

"Shot mainly using spy cameras, this film gets closer than ever before to the world's greatest land predator.

Icebergcam, Blizzardcam and Snowballcam are a new generation of covert devices on a mission to explore the Arctic islands of Svalbard in Norway. Backed up by Snowcam and Driftcam, these state-of-the-art camouflaged cameras reveal the extraordinary curiosity and intelligence of the polar bear."

Also being broadcast on the following dates:

#
Thu 30 Dec 2010
20:00
BBC HD
#
Fri 31 Dec 2010
00:30
BBC HD
#
Fri 31 Dec 2010
20:40
BBC One (Scotland only)
#
Sun 2 Jan 2011
00:55
BBC HD
#
Mon 3 Jan 2011
02:25
BBC One

Hi Penny and everyone

I have to agree that the quality and the filming off this documentary was top notch tonight, and I really enjoyed all aspects of it

Loved the bit when the female bear climbed up the snowy slope with the Male bear hot on her heals. The poor male looked tired out LOL when he flopped to the bottom of the hill once more.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Finally caught up with this. The filming was really interesting, but I did get annoyed by the way the programme was scripted and edited together (although I was able to suspend my disbelief while watching it).

They were supposed to be showing scenes of bears almost coming to conflict, but in actual fact they were totally different scenes. One example when the mother with the single cub was eating the seal - they were all covered in blood, but then apparently the bear that killed the seal returned and the mother and her cub ran off, but by then they were miraculously clear of blood!

Great photography, but I was disappointed that there was nothing about the concerns that many conservationists have voiced about the species' future. More to the point, I understood that the recent plundering of goose eggs/young by Polar Bears reflected a worrying problem they have in catching their traditional prey. The reasons for an potential consequences of this change in behaviour wasn't mentioned. I'm not saying that it should have all been 'doom-and-gloom', but a couple of nods in that direction wouldn't have gone amiss,

I enjoyed the programme and found the doom and gloom hints more than enough for the intelligent viewer (are we not normally complaining about dumbing down?), the sparks of humour a welcome relief after the first months of the new government and the end-piece showing the fates of the various camera platforms absolutely hysterical.

Top-notch viewing of a species expensive to visit and under severe pressure - although the pressure on the vast populations of Arctic seals is also high and they rarely get air-time except as Polar Bear mobile buffet!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back