• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone used this tripod? (1 Viewer)

skywatcher

I've just been to a photo trade show and seen a Gitzo 3320bs tripod. This is a very small sturdy tripod without the central column and stands 35 cm high with 2 short leg sections but can go flat to the ground so should be great for low pov shots . Could also be used in hides with wide window shelf. It's apparently designed with nature/ wildlife photographers in mind. Has anybody here used it?
Might save one from the indignity of a frying pan ground pod...although the pan is a million times cheaper!
Rosie

I've just been to a photo trade show and seen a Gitzo 3320bs tripod. This is a very small sturdy tripod without the central column and stands 35 cm high with 2 short leg sections but can go flat to the ground so should be great for low pov shots . Could also be used in hides with wide window shelf. It's apparently designed with nature/ wildlife photographers in mind. Has anybody here used it?
Might save one from the indignity of a frying pan ground pod...although the pan is a million times cheaper!
Rosie

Only just spotted this post! This tripod is the Dog's dangly bits for low level work. It is ultra rigid, fairly versatile and will support almost anything - it quite happily supports me at 100 Kilo!
Mine was under £200, new, how cheap are these "Frying Pans"?

Those "Pods" look interesting, however I don't think they would be the best thing for long lenses. I bought my 3320bs primarily for my 300mm + 600mm lenses and low level landscape shots using a geared head.
Still they are cheap and would suit many applications well.

Rosie

Doesn't this have the same head as commented on another thread which falls off smashing lenses, take a look!

Doesn't this have the same head as commented on another thread which falls off smashing lenses, take a look!

Got two Gitzo's with the Sytematic system (the 3320BS and a 3530LS) it is only a problem if you don't tighten the locking bolt properly, or check it periodically. Surely you check tour tripod head is tight once in a while, so you just check the locking bolt is tight at the same time. I have no problem with them and heavy gear.

Got two Gitzo's with the Sytematic system (the 3320BS and a 3530LS) it is only a problem if you don't tighten the locking bolt properly, or check it periodically. Surely you check tour tripod head is tight once in a while, so you just check the locking bolt is tight at the same time. I have no problem with them and heavy gear.

Surely you check tour tripod head is tight once in a while

I wasn't the one making the original comment, tell them. I was simply commenting on another thread by someone else on the forum.

Surely you check tour tripod head is tight once in a while

I wasn't the one making the original comment, tell them. I was simply commenting on another thread by someone else on the forum.

Post should really have read "ONE" not you! I was not trying to get at anyone in particular!
My intention was to tell all and sundry that the Systematic system is safe if checked regularly, however any clamping system will tighten (or usually) loosen with time. Anyone who is nervous needs only to look at the Gitzo Mountaineer range. I have both (Systematic + Mountaineer) in 3 Series Carbon and almost invariably use the Systematic as it is smaller/lighter and damps vibration better - so I put my money (600mm F4is) on the Systematic:smoke:

Post should really have read "ONE" not you! I was not trying to get at anyone in particular!
My intention was to tell all and sundry that the Systematic system is safe if checked regularly, however any clamping system will tighten (or usually) loosen with time. Anyone who is nervous needs only to look at the Gitzo Mountaineer range. I have both (Systematic + Mountaineer) in 3 Series Carbon and almost invariably use the Systematic as it is smaller/lighter and damps vibration better - so I put my money (600mm F4is) on the Systematic:smoke:

Point taken, sorry :(

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back