• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

id pls, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

wavethree

At Panti Forest 31st May 2019

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-06-03 at 5.43.03 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-06-03 at 5.43.03 PM.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 50
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-06-03 at 5.46.27 PM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-06-03 at 5.46.27 PM.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 51
Do you mean Maroon-bellied Sunbird ?

I don't know well the female of that one but, online, I think the strong super and the piece of orbital eye-ring on the lower part are better for Brown-throated. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, if possible with a feature or two to know where is my mistake.

Yes, HBW has renamed Van Hasselt's Maroon-bellied Sunbird. I'm not sure when this happened or why.

I would also suggest this individual is this species, as the bill looks a little long and decurved for Brown-throated and the head is rather greyish with a weak eye-ring. The pale throat contrasting with the rest of the underparts isn't typical of Brown-throated either. There seems to be some reddish coloration coming through on the breast - I'm not sure whether or not it's just an artifact and what it signifies.

Thank you for all the responds. I am no id expert, but I have shot countless brown-throated SB. The first obvious difference is size, of course you cannot tell from the photo, but for me I would immediately discount it as a brown-throated SB. The brown-throated usually has very strong red pigment in the eyes, sometimes weaker for juv.

Yes, HBW has renamed Van Hasselt's Maroon-bellied Sunbird. I'm not sure when this happened or why.

I would also suggest this individual is this species, as the bill looks a little long and decurved for Brown-throated and the head is rather greyish with a weak eye-ring. The pale throat contrasting with the rest of the underparts isn't typical of Brown-throated either. There seems to be some reddish coloration coming through on the breast - I'm not sure whether or not it's just an artifact and what it signifies.

Thanks !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back