• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nature Park in Mallorca (1 Viewer)

IDIC

Hi All,
I've just returned from a beach holiday in Mallorca. Although I went for a rest I did get to see around 50 Griffon and Black Vultures up near Lluch last Thursday which was great as they were my first wild Vultures.

Anyway, the following announcement was in the Mallorca Daily Bulletin on 25th June and may be of interest.

After years of delay, the Canyamel Torrent (river basin) was officially opened yesterday as a natural park and new tourist attraction. The Regional Tourisum and Environment Ministries joined forces to upgrade the abandoned area and to convert it to a natural parkland. The development is set to become an important tourist attraction. "Its a major step forward" said Capdepera's Mayor Bartomeu Azina. At a cost of 689,000 euros, a path for walkers has been created, a 450 metre long wooden slatted walkway and a Visitors Centre provides information on the natural wetlands surrounding the torrent. Environment Minister, Miguel Angel Grimalt said yesterday that it is a key policy of the Balearic Government, to conserve the environment and promote green tourisum. There are areas where people can sit and enjoy the surroundings and viewing platforms from where points of interest can be observed. Traffic restrictions are in place limiting access to the Torrent and a car park has been created.

Are the griffons breeding on majorca now? I believe a good number moved onto the island last year. Great news about preserving a highly pressured area.

Griffon Vultures

Hi Hotspur,

I guess the answer to your question is yes as there were plenty of them mixed up with the Black Vultures I saw. A wonderful experience that was a bit like scoring a hole in one on an empty golf course cause there was no one with me to see such a fantastic sight. A few minutes after the Vultures had flown back over the escarpment there were plenty of people around!

Hi Idic,
Thanks For The Info,where About Is This New Reserve.
Also Is Liuch The Place On The 710 To Cuber Res. [spelt Lluc On The Map.]
Thanks Again,
S.g.

Hi all,
The Griffons that have deceided to stay in Mallorca have not bred to the best of my knowledge. A good percentage of the birds have been observed as being first summers (2nd calender year) .Any breeding attempt would definately be a first for the Balearics :t: We will have to wait and see.

Steve

Lluch

Hi SG

Yes that is the place it's the Monastery at Lluch and the spelling depends on which map or guide book you have (Majorca or Mallorca etc). It is the most sacred place on the island and is covered by most of the trip operators.

As to the location of the new Nature Park I have to admit I have no idea but when I get the chance I will sit down with my map and search for it. I have a funny feeling that it is on the north west side of the island but this is just a guess.

Great news about the vultures up at Lluc, although you can't beat seeing the Black Vultures up at Cuber. Does this mean an increase in traffic on those already dodgy mountain roads?

Andy.

Hi Idic,
Thanks For The Info,where About Is This New Reserve.

S.g.

As soon as I saw the name of Canyamel I thought it rang a bell,if it is the same one it is located between Cala Bona/Cala Millor and Cala Rajada on the NE coast of Mallorca. Must be somewhere near the caves of Arta.

Going slightly astray had a look on the Mallorca Daily Bulletin site and found this article on Bee eaters [must admit we have yet to see one in Mallorca]

"Ecologists call for protection for rare bea-eaters
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]STAFF REPORTER[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]BALEARIC conservation group GOB complained yesterday that the regional ministry for the Environment “hasn’t lifted a finger” to help protect breeding of rare bea-eater birds on natural ground at Son Bosc in Muro. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]GOB claim that continuous noisy motocross activity right by the nesting area is threatening the breeding season. A spokesman for the conservationists said that the bea-eater is a migratory bird which comes to the Balearics at the beginning of spring to raise its chicks. In the autumn it moves on to the African sub-Sahara to spend the winter. He added that the 15 pairs of bea-eaters at Son Bosc “deserve better attention from the Environment ministry” which, he said should categorise the species as being “locally under threat”. GOB explained that the bea-eaters nest in hollows in the sand dunes at Son Bosc but come under a barrage of noise and disturbance by the motocross activity which also uses the dunes. “It will play havoc with breeding success,” claimed GOB"[/FONT]

Last edited:
Strangely enough Marmot I posted on here several years ago about that same colony of bee-eaters. At the time they were under threat from a new golf-course development which had been given approval despite it being against advice.

The golf course has never been built, I don't know why.

Found it here: (2005) http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=331965&postcount=18

I was at Son Bosc a few days ago and the motor cross activity around the bee-eater colony is appaling, most of the nests are right at ground level. The projected golf course is still being battle out in the courts, a lot of local businessmen interests involved mixed in with politics. At the mo the future looks bleak for Son Bosc :C

thanks to everyone for the info, we are going on sunday so will try out the new place and let you know, although its not the best time of year to go but work is closed for 2 weeks so thought why not, its better than decorating!!!!
hi rockbirder,
not seen you for a while, let me know how you went on on your hols.
s.g.

Great news about a new reserve. I will go as soon as possible now I have more time. I am very aware that I now live in somebody else´s country and I don´t want to shout too much but I am deeply saddened by some of the development here and will now do everything I can to promote birding and wildlife and hope it does some good. The potential here is enormous so lets hope many more reserves will follow. I walk locally every day,pick up litter and try to talk about birds to anyone interested. I do my bit and will join GOB to be part of a collective voice. I do hope (for instance) that Bee-eaters can be helped. I watched them in the spring and they are such a delight.

Hi All,
I Asked About The New Natural Park Canyamel At The Tourist Information And At The Albufera, Neither New Anything About It, Had A Drive Around The Area But Saw No Signs To Indicate Where It Was So Gave Up.
JUST A FEW PICS FROM HOLS.
S.G.

Last edited:
Dear All

I´m over in Mallora at present for a three week break, mainly mothing but with a little birding thrown in (best bird so far being a juv. Montagu´s Harrier from the CIM hide at s´Albufera).

I came across this link http://www.porlibre.com/baleares/nofre.htm but there´s not much information there either so, as I´m staying in s´Albufera, I´ll make some enquiries of the Park staff.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back