• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Raven (1 Viewer)

Yve_M

Colonial Member
Yup, Corvus corax, the largest perching bird in the world. It is a very common bird in my area, to the point of being almost invisible. They are considered a nuisance because they forage through garbage, tearing apart bags and spreading contents everywhere. They are the original dumpster divers. The other morning I saw 150+ hovering at our local dump, like a great black wing, smooth as silk, gleaming in the sunlight. Ok, ok, I'm getting longwinded here, what I want to ask is since they are considered quite common in the Northern Hemisphere, what are your experiences with them?? My hubby mentioned something about them being banded and the Tower of London. Can anyone help me here, an interested bird lover.

The story goes that if the Ravens ever leave the Tower of London it will bring the country down, so they are clipped i believe.

As for thier frequencey in Britain they are not too hard to see in the right locations, eg mountains, moors and that sort of area, however they are not as easy to see else where (although they appear IMHO to be getting more frequent outside of these areas).

Ash

p.s I live to be corrected if i'm wrong.

It's funny you should mention this, Eve.

I've just posted my Life List on the Forum, and included the Raven. Whilst I am not the most experienced identifier, I'm pretty sure that I see Ravens fairly frequently (sure enough to put them on the list).

I understand that they are cliff loving birds, although the town where I live is a long way (in UK terms) from such a habitat.

Also I understand that whilst they are generally uncommon in the UK, they can be locally common. Maybe I'm just in a "hot-spot" - although I've certainly never seen as many as you!

As for the Tower, well I've never seen the Ravens there, and I can't help you regarding the banding (I assume you mean ringing).

Like you, I'll wait for further posts!

Birdman is near to the mark on his observations. I have seen quite a few, especially in the Welsh and Scottish mountains but they are by no means in large numbers elswhere. You will have the odd few here and there but if any where appear near to most areas they would considered a fairly good find.

If ever I see one whilst driving I stop as soon as possible and watch this beautiful bird. That is how I see them. Mind you I think that the Magpie and the Canda Goose are beauties as well but there are a lot of other people that don't feel the same way about these birds.

Certainly we don't have Ravens in the numbers that would make them into the catergory of pest ( I wish). They remain mysterious and appear when you least expect them.

Regarding the Tower of London I'm sure that Ashley is right in his observations.

Very common here, Eve. In fact, one was being mobbed and chased by a Peregrine outside my office window this morning. Not something I expected to see, but glad I did all the same!

Well, the ravens I saw were in Alberta! It was quite amazing to hear them vocalize, nothing like crows to me.

They seem to hang around in the North more. Perhaps because the carrion and road kill keeps better in cold?

TV had a bit about them being a nuisance in Alaskan cities. They will figure out how to get to food if they find it, in dumpsters.

I think the only time I have seen Ravens is at the Tower of Londeon. I have never seen them in the wild. I have driven to the far west of Pembrokshire Twice in the hope of seeing them, but have been unlucky both times. Only been actively birding about two years, but am sure I would have noticed some bird so out of the ordinary. I have driven all over yje country whilst working over the last 30+years but never had the luck to see one.
Ah well, Some day.

P.S.
Hello old married woman!.

Yve_M said:
Yup, Corvus corax, the largest perching bird in the world. It is a very common bird in my area, to the point of being almost invisible. They are considered a nuisance because they forage through garbage, tearing apart bags and spreading contents everywhere. They are the original dumpster divers. The other morning I saw 150+ hovering at our local dump, like a great black wing, smooth as silk, gleaming in the sunlight. Ok, ok, I'm getting longwinded here, what I want to ask is since they are considered quite common in the Northern Hemisphere, what are your experiences with them?? My hubby mentioned something about them being banded and the Tower of London. Can anyone help me here, an interested bird lover.

The only one I saw in a short tour of SE Ontario was one at a dump near Minden, south of Algonquin.

Re the Tower of London birds - they are indeed clipped or pinioned. Their numbers need to be replenished occasionally, as breeding is very rare. A female that was found injured and incurable in Gwent was taken there, by invite, around 1988; a couple of years later she produced the first young Ravens at the Tower for (I think) about 300 years.

They are considered widespread and locally common over most of Europe, even Britain, now that 'keepers no longer kill them so regularly. (I know one 'keeper that likes having the odd nesting pair, because of the fuss that they make when a Goshawk is about).

Locally they nest on cliffs, quarries, trees and electricity pylons.

Cheers,

Andy.

Ravens in Belgium and Holland : extirpated shortly after the first world war. Reintroduced, succesful in Holland where now apparently just over a 100 pairs breeding, not so succesful in Belgium.
Locally fairly common in some places in France and Germany. They say some remote wild places in Wales still have good densities.
This bird is uncommon in Western Europe in general, I think.

alan_rymer said:
I think the only time I have seen Ravens is at the Tower of Londeon. I have never seen them in the wild. I have driven to the far west of Pembrokshire Twice in the hope of seeing them, but have been unlucky both times. Only been actively birding about two years, but am sure I would have noticed some bird so out of the ordinary. I have driven all over yje country whilst working over the last 30+years but never had the luck to see one.
Ah well, Some day.

P.S.
Hello old married woman!.

Hi Alan,

P.m. me in advance next time you venture west on the M4.
My local birds can be easy on a school day, approachable by car to 15 yards or on foot about twice that! Or their nest can be seen from town with one of the adults usually standing guard nearby.

Andy. (@ 40 minutes north of the Severn Crossings).

satrow said:
Hi Alan,

P.m. me in advance next time you venture west on the M4.
My local birds can be easy on a school day, approachable by car to 15 yards or on foot about twice that! Or their nest can be seen from town with one of the adults usually standing guard nearby.

Andy. (@ 40 minutes north of the Severn Crossings).
Andy

Many thanks, I may take you up on that one day if I have the time!.

Yve_M said:
Yup, Corvus corax, the largest perching bird in the world.
.....shared I think with the Thick-billed Raven (C. crassirostris) from the highlands of Ethiopea ;)

I'm sure I saw a couple of birds in the Morpeth area of Northumberland a couple of years ago.

Steve,
On what grounds is the Raven the "largest perching bird" - Weight, length?
I have always been told the Superb Lyrebird is the largest passerine. Looked up HANZAB Vol5 and males cn reach 103cm and 1065g (sorry for you imperial users).
Cheers,
Peter

Gorgon said:
On what grounds is the Raven the "largest perching bird" - Weight, length?
I have always been told the Superb Lyrebird is the largest passerine. Looked up HANZAB Vol5 and males cn reach 103cm and 1065g
Hi Peter,

On weight, Raven wins there: up to 1560g. Length is up to 69cm, but that's mostly 'bird' rather than feathers. How long is a Lyrebird, when it has moulted its two longest feathers?

Can't find any weight data for Thick-billed Raven, it is up to 64cm long, but is bulkier that Common Raven, so probably a bit heavier.

Michael

No ravens in my area. Too bad. I finished a book _Mind of the Raven_ which discusses a naturalist's observations of these birds. Fascinating animals. Highly intelligent.

The book, and some of my other experiences with birds, have greatly increased my respect for these animals.

They'll eat *anything*, though, and thus have a well deserved reputation for unappetizing (to us) habits.

Ravens in Mid Argyll, Scotland have seemingly increased greatly over the past decade or so - or have they simply changed their habits? At one time you had to go out on the hill to see them, whereas now they often come into the glens and onto the sea shore - they're always hanging about the refuse tip at Lochgilphead. Argyll was the last place in Britain to protect Ravens as they've always been pretty common there. The shepherds don't like them (along with GBB Gulls) because they believe they'll kill new-born lambs. I'm sure they undoubtably do so on occasion, but we had more problems with them taking the eyes out of pregnant ewes that had got into difficulties. I've seen flocks of twenty or thirty in recent years in the vicinity of the 'gralloch' (guts) of shot red deer, indeed, if one has to leave a carcass out overnight for any reason, unless you get to it first thing in the morning the Ravens will have had a go (along with Hoodies, Buzzards and Eagles)!

saluki

Hi Namesake [Alan Rymer],

Another very good place to find the Ravens you are wanting to see, if you're up north, is St Bee's Head on the Cumbrian coast.

Last year I was sitting on a cliff edge there , looking for the Black Guillemots I go to see each year. A Raven hovered in the air currents just feet from where I was sitting. It was an amazing experience!

If memory serves I have seen Ravens there every time I've been, so you're in with a good chance of seeing one if you go!

Best wishes

Alan [Hobson]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back