• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape Shoveler or Blue-winged Teal (1 Viewer)

IanF

I came across this bird late evening tonight as I headed out to look for Owls. My first thoughts were of it being a Blue-winged Teal due to the white half moon marking and white spot rear flanks. The flanks appeared more rufous than I'd expected though.

Apparently there was a drake Cape Shoeveler in the area last Autumn and it's suggested it may be the same bird.

I can't find a photo of a drake Cape Shovler to compare - anyone any ideas.

Photos are a bit poor as the light was going.

Attachments

• IMG_2961ao.JPG
    IMG_2961ao.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2956ao.JPG
    IMG_2956ao.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 157
Don't think Cape Shovelers look like this.

Should be comparing BW Teal with Australian Shoveler. Can't really tell from these images and I don't have much experience with Aussie Shov.

Josh Jones said:
Don't think Cape Shovelers look like this.

Should be comparing BW Teal with Australian Shoveler. Can't really tell from these images and I don't have much experience with Aussie Shov.
I see what you mean about the Aussie Shoveler - very similar to this bird - though the white half moon looked more prominent.

I guess I'll be having a revisit tomorrow!

I don't think its a pure BWTeal.... but it also doesn't look right for Aussie Shoveler now I've done some research.

Also fiddled with the photos and I could only see green in the head as opposed to blue which is what one would expect in BW Teal.

Hybrid, anyone?

Have you got any more pics Ian?

Swift said:
Cape Shovelers are dark birds not to dissimilar to female shovelers.
The reddish borwn flanks threw me at the time - a bit too coloured for BW Teal. This bird as an escapee Aussie Shoveler might be the answer especially if one was only a couple of miles away a few months back.

Josh Jones said:
I don't think its a pure BWTeal.... but it also doesn't look right for Aussie Shoveler now I've done some research.

Also fiddled with the photos and I could only see green in the head as opposed to blue which is what one would expect in BW Teal.

Hybrid, anyone?

Have you got any more pics Ian?
No more pics that are any different at least. It was almost dusk when I went out so lighting was poor. I thought myself the head looked dark with a greenish tinge - but put it down to the low light.

If not an escapee then an escapee hybrid me thinks!

I photographed a similar looking duck last year in Spain, see the thread

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=49540

Joen Lehmhus identified it as a hybrid Cinnamon Teal x Northern Shoveler.
One difference of the Spanish duck to the duck above is the spot at the rear flank, which was brownish and not white.

In his kind remarks Joern mentioned "... Hybrids BW Teal x Northern Shoveler tend to be lighter coloured on the flanks and generally show a white patch on the rear flanks. whereas hybrids Cinnamon Teal x Northern Shoveler sometimes show a small witish patch there or, as your bird does,show a pale reddish brown patch at the rear flank."

So I am not that sure whether your bird is BW Teal x Northern Shoveler or
Cinnamon Teal x Northern Shoveler.

Hi, I would also think that your Bird, Ian , is a BW Teal x Northern Shoveler...For a Shoveler the bill looks smallish, there is a big white patch at the rear end and the head looks more greenish than in BW-Teal...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back