• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Brunei (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone, I'm representing a group of students for the University of Surrey and we are researching about Bird Watching as a Tourism activity.

There are some questions we would like to ask towards community members who take holidays specifically for bird watching. We would appreciate it very much for you to share your opinions about Brunei Bird watching through this thread. |:D|

Questions

1. Do you know Brunei as a bird watching destination?

2. If yes, have you ever considered travelling to this country for bird watching?

3. If not, what 5 elements do you consider as priority when you carry out bird watching? (i.e. safety, number of species, accessibility), feel free to rank this according to priority levels.

4. What sources (i.e. social media, magazine, forums) do you personally rely on to research for bird watching destinations?

Again, we'd appreciate if you could share your opinions as it would mean a great deal of help for us. We've also attached a link of a bird watching pamphlet for Brunei for your interest!

Thank you o:D,

Uni of Surrey
1. I do know Brunei as a birding destination by reading a quite OK report from a Dutch birder (worked for Shell).

2. I would consider Brunei because at least it has sightings of the Danum spectacled flowerpecker (so if I ever want to clean up, I would consider the best place for this bird, and if that is Brunei, Brunei it is), and maybe some peatswamp specialities are easier to see there than in the current sites in Malaysia.

3. Gay friendliness (yes, that news about the death penalty finally made me delete Brunei of my places - to - potentially - bird), accessibility, specific birds, price, food + good coffee ;)

4. Cloudbirders ofcourse! What else? (and my own birdlist, that must be the main factor in determining a birding destination... I won't prefer a place where I have seen 95% of birds if I can go to a place where I have seen 30%...)

I've actually birded in Brunei. I was going on a tour to Sabah, and wanted to put another pin in the map while I was so close.

I chose to spend only two days, but no more, due to limited vacation time. There wasn't enough to do for two days in BSB, so I rented a car and did a little birdwatching on the second day. But there wasn't anything that I saw that I didn't see later in Sabah.

So I agree that for most people, there's no reason to go to Brunei. Sabah is better. Plus in light of the current intolerance, if I had to do it over, I would not go to Brunei even just to say I'd been there.

Liberals are all for embracing other cultures and as long as they don't try and impose Sharia Law on me in the UK, we have to respect what they do in their own countries? Western interventionist policy, is arguably the single biggest reason that the World is in the mess it's in, oh and the Liberals allowing enclaves in various countries where virtual 'pop up' countries have appeared without very much attenpt at integration or adoption of the local culture.

This said, I see no need to politicise the thread here, start a new one in RF?

This paragraph is quite funny if you replace the word liberals with unicorns or terrifying if you replace it with an ethnic group... sad!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back