• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Brunei (1 Viewer)

UniofSurrey

Hello everyone, I'm representing a group of students for the University of Surrey and we are researching about Bird Watching as a Tourism activity.

There are some questions we would like to ask towards community members who take holidays specifically for bird watching. We would appreciate it very much for you to share your opinions about Brunei Bird watching through this thread. |:D|

Questions

1. Do you know Brunei as a bird watching destination?

2. If yes, have you ever considered travelling to this country for bird watching?

3. If not, what 5 elements do you consider as priority when you carry out bird watching? (i.e. safety, number of species, accessibility), feel free to rank this according to priority levels.

4. What sources (i.e. social media, magazine, forums) do you personally rely on to research for bird watching destinations?

Again, we'd appreciate if you could share your opinions as it would mean a great deal of help for us. We've also attached a link of a bird watching pamphlet for Brunei for your interest!

Thank you o:D,

Uni of Surrey

Attachments

• Bird-Watching-In-Brunei-2016.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 17
Hello everyone, I'm representing a group of students for the University of Surrey and we are researching about Bird Watching as a Tourism activity.

There are some questions we would like to ask towards community members who take holidays specifically for bird watching. We would appreciate it very much for you to share your opinions about Brunei Bird watching through this thread. |:D|

Questions

1. Do you know Brunei as a bird watching destination?

2. If yes, have you ever considered travelling to this country for bird watching?

3. If not, what 5 elements do you consider as priority when you carry out bird watching? (i.e. safety, number of species, accessibility), feel free to rank this according to priority levels.

4. What sources (i.e. social media, magazine, forums) do you personally rely on to research for bird watching destinations?

Again, we'd appreciate if you could share your opinions as it would mean a great deal of help for us. We've also attached a link of a bird watching pamphlet for Brunei for your interest!

Thank you o:D,

Uni of Surrey

1. No

2. No, I had contact some years ago with someone who was living there just before I was due to transit Brunei. I was told that opportunities were limited and that it was expensive.

3.1 Number of species, especially endemic species of which Brunei has precisely none.

3.2 Ease of travel and available information.

3.3 Cost

I rely on various publications and websites, Brunei is a very low priority destination for birder IMHO.

If the ultimate point of this study is to increase bird tourism to Brunei, might I suggest that the starting point should be to ask the question "why would birders visit Brunei rather than Malaysain Borneo?"

Sabah has long been a major destination for birders because it has an incredible avifauna, and an excellent and generally affordable tourism infrastructure. In the last few years, Sarawak has gained popularity (mostly as an add-on to Sabah) thanks to the discovery of sites for rare species that aren't available in Sabah.

So the question is what Brunei can offer that isn't already available to birders? I am prepared to accept an all-expenses paid research trip to investigate the possibilities, and report on my findings.

price comparing pages for car rental, accomodation
e.g. agoda

trip reports
birdforum like "Information wanted"

Business experts said 35 % of business is recommandation, other said even 70 % !

A most curious thread given recent developments in Brunei:
A new law which comes into effect from next week will punish homosexual sex and adultery with death in the small southeast Asian kingdom of Brunei.​
Beginning on April 3, any individuals found guilty of the offenses will be stoned to death, according to a new penal code. The punishment will be "witnessed by a group of Muslims."
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/27/asia/brunei-anti-lgbt-stoning-law-intl/index.html

I suggest that the starting point should be to ask the question "why would birders visit Brunei rather than Malaysain Borneo?"

I think the starting point would be why anyone would even visit a country with such barbaric laws, let alone bird there.

A most curious thread given recent developments in Brunei:
A new law which comes into effect from next week will punish homosexual sex and adultery with death in the small southeast Asian kingdom of Brunei.​
Beginning on April 3, any individuals found guilty of the offenses will be stoned to death, according to a new penal code. The punishment will be "witnessed by a group of Muslims."
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/27/asia/brunei-anti-lgbt-stoning-law-intl/index.html

I think the starting point would be why anyone would even visit a country with such barbaric laws, let alone bird there.

And the states with it's death penalty, multiple life sentences and separating migrant children from paresnts, several of whom have died, doesn't stop birders and others?

Liberals are all for embracing other cultures and as long as they don't try and impose Sharia Law on me in the UK, we have to respect what they do in their own countries? Western interventionist policy, is arguably the single biggest reason that the World is in the mess it's in, oh and the Liberals allowing enclaves in various countries where virtual 'pop up' countries have appeared without very much attenpt at integration or adoption of the local culture.

This said, I see no need to politicise the thread here, start a new one in RF?

Last edited:
And the states with it's death penalty, multiple life sentences and separating migrant children from paresnts, several of whom have died, doesn't stop birders and others?

Very important point, you are person which think consequent and think by yourself. Most people repeat only what is written in papers or said in TV.

In Irak died 500.000 - 800.000 children, mostly very small children, caused by embargo of EU and US. Foreign minister of US Madeleine Albright said is was right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omnskeu-puE

Germany has introduced embargo against Syria into EU. Effort wiill e similar like in Irak I suppose.

EU and EU politics promote extremists. In Irak was hundrets of extremists, before last Irak war. After the war hundret of thousends.
Former US Army secret chief general Michael Flynn said, without Irak war, we never had IS without Irak war.
Extremists in Afghanistan and Pakistan was also educated by EU and US.
Same in Libya.

Think also what is done by waepons of EU and US in Saudi Arabia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlmvHkITfQY

Politicians of Germans goverment party, has visited performance of dead penalty in Saudi Arabien.
Germans media critizise plans of Donald Trump about the wall against refugees. But Germany built a high tec wall in Saudi Arabien against refugees.
Further Germany send policemans to educate Saudi arabien police to destroy demonstration with weapons ( source first Greman public TV ARD ).

In Germany we have a saing which means something like, clean the rubbish at first on your own front door.

Last edited:
While there are certainly conversations that need having about Western interventionism and the ethicality of visiting Trump's US etc, I do think this law has to considered a deal breaker for any kind of tourism to Brunei.

This is not a pre-existing law, this is a new law that allows the state to stone to death people for just existing. Even moral disgust aside, that actively precludes LGBTQ+ people from visiting for their own safety.

While there are certainly conversations that need having about Western interventionism and the ethicality of visiting Trump's US etc, I do think this law has to considered a deal breaker for any kind of tourism to Brunei.

This is not a pre-existing law, this is a new law that allows the state to stone to death people for just existing. Even moral disgust aside, that actively precludes LGBTQ+ people from visiting for their own safety.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree completely.

Many conservative countries frown upon open displays of affection even between straight couples and so most visitors respect this. Unless two same sex people were making it fairly obvious that they were a couple, booking a double bed may be a give away and would frankly be a bit dim, I don't think they would have an issue.

This is not a pre-existing law, this is a new law that allows the state to stone to death people for just existing. Even moral disgust aside, that actively precludes LGBTQ+ people from visiting for their own safety.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree completely.

Many conservative countries frown upon open displays of affection even between straight couples and so most visitors respect this. Unless two same sex people were making it fairly obvious that they were a couple, booking a double bed may be a give away and would frankly be a bit dim, I don't think they would have an issue.

It's a risk people could take if they wanted sure, but that has to be framed within the context of why you are visiting there in the first place. If the answer is birding, then why would you travel there rather than the rest of Borneo, which while far from LGBTQ friendly, doesn't have the death penalty for it.

Alexjh said:
It's a risk people could take if they wanted sure, but that has to be framed within the context of why you are visiting there in the first place. If the answer is birding, then why would you travel there rather than the rest of Borneo, which while far from LGBTQ friendly, doesn't have the death penalty for it.

Totally agree,
those that jumped on the thread in regard to the new law, had no real need, Brunei isn't now and is not ever set to be, a birding destination of any note.

This said, I see no need to politicise the thread here, start a new one in RF?

You are the one politicizing things; I was providing relevant information about clear violations of fundamental human rights that should be of concern to anyone. If you don't care that a country is sanctioning brutally killing people for matters of sex between consenting adults, then you can ignore what I said. But IMO it would be morally irresponsible not to mention it in this thread at this time. (And by the way, last time I checked "adultery" is not limited to LGBTQ persons, so this is not a matter only of concern to them.)

In fact, I am suspicious of the timing of this thread. Why is the OP raising this issue at this time? (It is their first post). Is it because he or she wants to encourage tourism to Brunei despite the recent bad publicity? Is the OP a Brunei national? Just who is the OP that he or she appoints themselves to speak on behalf of a university?

Last edited:
You are the one politicizing things; I was providing relevant information about clear violations of fundamental human rights that should be of concern to anyone. If you don't care that a country is sanctioning brutally killing people for matters of sex between consenting adults, then you can ignore what I said. But IMO it would be morally irresponsible not to mention it in this thread at this time. (And by the way, last time I checked "adultery" is not limited to LGBTQ persons, so this is not a matter only of concern to them.)

In fact, I am suspicious of the timing of this thread. Why is the OP raising this issue at this time? (It is their first post). Is it because he or she wants to encourage tourism to Brunei despite the recent bad publicity? Is the OP a Brunei national? Just who is the OP that he or she appoints themselves to speak on behalf of a university?

Me too now you mention it.

... In fact, I am suspicious of the timing of this thread. Why is the OP raising this issue at this time? (It is their first post). Is it because he or she wants to encourage tourism to Brunei despite the recent bad publicity? Is the OP a Brunei national? Just who is the OP that he or she appoints themselves to speak on behalf of a university?

Me too now you mention it.
Good point! Well, let's hope that the responses critical of Brunei's recent appalling legislation filter back to the country's legislature. I too would not want to visit a country with such cruel inhumane mediaeval laws.

Good point! Well, let's hope that the responses critical of Brunei's recent appalling legislation filter back to the country's legislature. I too would not want to visit a country with such cruel inhumane mediaeval laws.

Mr 'No Brexit', you never go anywhere!

Comment to mods, I object to political comment included in Avatars, this is a bird site, such things can be dealt with in RF.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back