• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Announcing the winners of the January 2008 photo competition - 'Anything Goes' (1 Viewer)

IanF

A very high standard of entries to get the year started with a good variety of subjects and species even if Kingfishers did figure highly when it came around to voting.

From the 58 entries 30 were selected for inclusion in the voting booth and 147 members cast their vote.

First place -

bengtfalke with A fisherman in morning light.which attracted 25/147 votes.

2nd place -

Martin Standley with Digiscoped Kingfisher with 21/147 votes.

3rd place -

Victor Tyakht with Nursery with 17/147 votes.

Congratulations to each of you :t:

Entries will remain in place a few days before being moved to their respective forums.

I have just viewed all 3 shots,incredible ,all should have been winners.Congrats to bengtfalke,for his winning shot,and well done to the runners up.Excellent photography.

Well done to the winners. Lovely Kingfisher pictures.

Super photographs. Really enjoyed looking at them

Great shots! All of them are winners!

Is that Woodpecker killing the other bird?

Dave

hi Dave

I would have not thought so as Woodpeckers are not known to eat other birds that I know of. Cannibals they are not as such.

Maybe the reason for the attack was for food as species may eat similar foods like seeds. I cannot see it being for Territorial rights, as birds are too different.

I wonder if fight was photographed in the vicinity of feeders where the competition for food would be rife at all times.

I am sure that someone will enlighten us here. ;)

I think they're just fighting over who gets the food here. However Woodpeckers do eat birds - eggs and nestlings at least.

Congratulations to the winners. These were incredible captures that I can only aspire to. Thank you for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back