• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (5 Viewers)

Later on my way home I stopped at Aberlady, I walked up to the beach and found myself at a loss to identify a number of waders, limited book and experience I guessQUOTE]

Maybe one of your questions should have been then to ask about a decent book that helps you identify your waders (I guess that would come under rule 5).

Barns Ness

Spent four hours at the Ness today looking at migrants as well as living in the hope that the blasted Southern Hawker would reappear-it didnt:-C

Still quite a few migs present though inc 2 Redstart, 4 Spot Fly, Garden Warb & Willow/Chiffs.

The lads walked on to Skaters then Torness with a smattering of migs en route best of which I understand was a small flock of Laps by the rabbit warren midway after B/Ness.

Tiners had lots of smalls inc 4 Curlew Sands, 2 L/ Stint, 4 Ruff, with 4 Whinchat in the sandy area created by buckthorn clearance.

1st lagoon at Mussi had a 1stw Med Gull with two darvic ringed LBB's

Met a nice German bloke (yes Adolf is long gone) who recently moved to Dunbar but despite recent posts I answered all his stupid questions;)

Vulcan rules the skies

Visited HP today and gotta say it was grim with just 3 Bonxies past in 3 hours but then again as this passed I am not surprised the Skuas were keeping well clear of it

Attachments

• Vulcan Bomber.jpg
    Vulcan Bomber.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 57
re. silly questions

I think that when there has been a fall of migrants or if I have a tight turnaround time to be back at home/work then the last thing I want is someone asking Qs... Under other circumstances its great to meet other folk especially if there is stuff around that is new for them. Of course, it would be impossible for anyone else to know which set of circumstances would apply at any one moment...

That said maybe I could be a bit friendlier in the field...

I found the experience interesting, some people were more than happy to help, point things out, answer questions (silly or just the kind of things a novice might ask) others, didn't make eye contact and gave me the impression that unless I had the right gear and was a signed up twitcher, that I was a waste of space.

Allan Cameron, fat guy, cheap equipment and prone to asking silly questions.

Allan, you are not alone. My biggest downfall is my inability to afford a scope and I mainly rely on my bins, which I invested in a year ago.

I enjoy getting out and do my homework before going anywhere. ie reading about regular birds at each location and then look at field guides before setting out. I was at Tyninghame on Friday in the hope of seeing the semi-p but was satisfied with IDing my 1st Dunlins, 2 Curlew Sandpipers and a Ringed Plover using 2 reference books that I always carry with me. However, I do get infuriated because I know I see other species, but I am unable to be satisfied enough to 'tick' them. I sometimes get down about it, but, often, another opportunity for that species comes around which allows a firm ID. (Apparently the first few years of birding are the best when you can still get lifers regularly...?)

On the way back from Tyninghame I popped into the lagoons at Musselburgh and on arrival I was delighted to see loads of waders, but again most I couldn't get a firm ID on with my bins. However, 2 very helpful guys turned up and allowed me use of their scopes and gave me some pointers. I am always grateful when this happens, especially when not on my usual patch, seeing birds that to me are lifers or unusual. I try to return the favour on my usual patch when I bump in to visitors and they are looking for guidance on IDs or where to see a particular species.

I don't go out birding expecting to be told what I am looking at as I enjoy the IDing challenge. However, its always nice for someone to confirm what I'm looking at. I try and avoid starting conversations along the lines of 'Is that a...' but just be friendly and comment on 'lots about today' or something similar. The response you get can then gauge whether you dare ask a silly Q or not!

Do you use sightings listed on websites - for example the Lothian birding site - to confirm your sightings? I find this a good option.

Maybe you and I should meet up and ask each other silly Qs all day long to see who gets bored first:t:

EDIT: After typing the above, I went on a hunt for cheap, but worthwhile scopes. Found one of these second hand in the For Sale section:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-U...1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1284399156&sr=8-1-fkmr1

£70 incl P&P. Just hope its good enough for what I need.

Last edited:
Brief visits to Musselburgh yesterday and today at first light

Yesterday there was a little stint and 8 black tailed godwit on the scrapes. There seemed to be 3 or 4 ruff but suddenly they took off, there were in fact a total of 8 and they flew off south east in a group. There was a scaup on the boating pond.

This am there were very few waders, just a couple of ruff and 6 black tailed godwits. 2 adult med gulls flew in to lane on the westernmost scrape. One was in winter plumage and the second still had a partial hood. The second bird also appeared to have a green ring on it's left leg. Unfortunately a sparrowhawk whizzed through dispersing the gulls so I was not able to get more than a single view of the ring. The 2 lapland buntings and the scaup were still about. Also the first long tailed duck of the autumn off the sea wall

Last edited:
decent days birding was had today highlights were Great Northern Diver, 3 Med Gulls, 2 Ross's Geese, 4 Barnies & 9 Laps.

Off tomm so hopefully more of that to comeB :)

decent days birding was had today highlights were Great Northern Diver, 3 Med Gulls, 2 Ross's Geese, 4 Barnies & 9 Laps.

Thanks for the call today Cal, a Lothian tick was certainly not what I was expecting when I was getting pished on this morning at Aberlady! The Ross's certainly weren't there first thing this morning, but geese were arriving all morning across the Forth so assume they arrived after I had left.

I also had a pretty decent morning mind - Spotted Red & Garganey at Aberlady, adult Med at Ferny Ness and a 1st winter Med at Mussi as well as the Ross's. Could have been better though as a small skua past Mussi mid morning was 99.9% a Long-tailed but I just didn't get enough time on it to clinch it |=@|

'2 Ross's geese' he mentions casually in amongst the other birds.....suppose it was an OK day then ;) -damn site better than yesterday pm at ER.

45 lapland bunting today at Barns Ness was pretty impressive

Another pectoral sandpiper at East Fenton-maybe SW will have more details later

Perhaps the wrong day to be lecturing and on a course

It's been a pretty good autumn so far in Lothian...

Had a good look for your Spot Red Mike but no joy which was a bit dissapointing to be honest as both KG & I drool over such goodies!

We were at Aberlady yesterday also & there were a lot of geese new in (c5000)with many still arriving, but the numbers today when we arrived were well up on that, the fact the birds spent a lot of the time asleep may be due to them being knackered after a long haul from Greenland/Iceland.;)

'2 Ross's geese' he mentions casually in amongst the other birds.....suppose it was an OK day then ;) -damn site better than yesterday pm at ER.

45 lapland bunting today at Barns Ness was pretty impressive

Another pectoral sandpiper at East Fenton-maybe SW will have more details later

Perhaps the wrong day to be lecturing and on a course

It's been a pretty good autumn so far in Lothian...

Afraid small white geese with black wing tips dont do it for me much Mark, however if it had been a goose with a red breast then that would be different;)

As for the Hibees stay away, then when the stadium gets a quarter full the board might think twice about selling their prize assets:C

Yep lap bunt numbers starting to approach the numbers I was used to when i was a lad, nice to see a flock on the Abo saltmarsh after so many years however a walk by CND, KG & myself on the favoured Tyninghame saltmarsh yesterday produced zero! Will try again tomm though;)

the favoured Tyninghame saltmarsh yesterday produced zero! Will try again tomm though;)

After seeing so many Lap Bunts today at Barns Ness I was surprised not to hear them JMCP. Mind you I did only have a quick look from the Beach Rd carpark but I expected to hear them out over the saltmarsh.

I did get distracted by a gull with an orange tint to its legs - but closer inspection revealed a 2nd calendar year Herring Gull. :-C
Oh well, next time maybe...

Geoff

p.s. well done on the Ross's

Attachments

• _MG_7030_2.jpg
    _MG_7030_2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG167.jpg
    IMG167.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7076.JPG
    IMG_7076.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 56
HURRAH for the RAF

After 3 consequtive days of searching the Tyninghame saltmarsh for Lap Bunts I came up trumps today thanks to the RAF:t:

Started the day off at Barns Ness with my new camera in the hope that the Lap Bunts had not been trampled to death by the weekend twitch!
Fortunately only Darren & Sula (his dog!) present then latterly Pete Mc armed with his Canon or was it a Howitzer!!
Saw one briefly but soon left as the tide was coming in and I was keen to get to Tiners.
Juv Curlew Sand, and a couple of Greenshank present, I then looked up Heckie's Hole where amongst the roosting Herons was a pure white bird! excellent Little Egret:t:
A walk along Spike Island was uneventful so I turned my attention towards the saltmarsh in my quest to get a Lap Bunt, half way down a roar of an approaching C-130 Hercules transporter flying very low over the saltmarsh was met by birds of all types being flushed, soon the sweet trilling call of a Lap Bunt could be heard:smoke:
Watched it land so I approached the spot only for it to take off and land down in the southern half of the saltmarsh, I continued that way looking for others when a white bird flying low over the saltmarsh at Belhaven immediatly got my attention, another Little Egret:-O.
I watched it gain height and slowly make its way north over the car park then the trees towards the inner bay before I lost it out of sight.
Then went home happy

Sounds like you enjoyed your day off Cal and nice finds with two description birds (looks like small white egrets without black wing tips do it for you).

I was also at Spike Island yesterday looking for Buntings, among other things, but it was very quiet. Retreated to Torness again hoping for some LT skuas or Sabs making their way back north after being battered throughout last week. Of course there were none but in calm conditions I see 3 Arctic Sk and 1 Bonxie in less than an hour whereas in what seemed like almost ideal conditions on Friday, I see 4 Arctic and 2 Bonxie in four hours!

This coming week-end might be better though - says the optimist.

N

PS Stephen, nice one with the Pec.

Agent N

I believe we are to get some decent weather towards the end of the week so hopefully I might be sat at HP when the LTS goes past, however if there is an east coast fall I will leave the coastline to be overun once again by the masses keen to see the latest non BBRC/SBRC as I am off west next sat:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back