• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens protector? (1 Viewer)

Do you use any kind of lens protector with your scope? I wonder if it is worth it...

I used a UV filter for a while, but I began to imagine that it was causing a very slight deterioration in image quality. Also, a Swarovski rep claimed to me that the makers of the common filters don't use as high optical standards as Swarovski does. This might simply have been boosterism, but common sense says that you can't interpose another layer of glass, however finely made, without some effect on the image. I also noticed that, filter or no, the objective was still getting dusty. I decided that the extended lens hood would give adequate protection against scratching &c., and stopped using the filter.

A protective filter is nice to have if the conditions are such that there my be blowing sand or salt spray. Otherwise I don't bother with one. B&W makes good high quality filters.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back