• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blockers (1 Viewer)

timmyjones said:
Will be intrested to hear anyones blockers and as im only 15 i dont have any

Hi Timmy, my biggest blocker by miles is Little Auk, and I've been birding for 28 years, mostly based in Britain. I even have found a dead one in Norway and have it's wing, but I've never seen one alive. I hope you have more luck with them than I have !

Hi Timmy,
I had a blocker once, but a dose of laxatives soon cleared that up....
Oh, you mean birds?
Harry

Hi Harry

i wouldnt think you need laxitives in your neck of the woods, just the local Stout, B :) it works for me anyway ;) .

Sorry Timmy back on the thread look at my avatar, surely a future blocker!!!!

Sylvia.

Hi Sylvia,
Whatever about me being gripped off, it looks like the bird in your avatar (an Oven-ready Bird, n'est-ce pas?) is being gripped....
Harry

Third time lucky, being utterly serious (or as serious as a self-confessed subversive element within the twitching scene can be), perhaps my best 'blockers' (and I agree with Timmeeh, the phrase is a bit rubbish) would be Eastern Olivaceous Warbler (Ireland's second, following a review of all previous records...the previously accepted most recent one to that was the 1990 bird, which 'became' a Sykes's Warbler, so many who saw that never travelled for the 1999 bird (the only other Eastern Olly was trapped and ringed in 1977, and was never available to the masses)), Baltimore Oriole (successfully twitched by only 20+ birders, including a few visiting British birders), and potentially, in time, Blue-winged Warbler....
Harry

tom mckinney said:
Yep, with you there. And that Nutcracker in Longton is turning out to be quite a handy tick, eh Sylvia!?!

I can still remember the reaction of the local RSPB Group when i rang them about it - we dont twitch Rare birds was there reply!!

Que the next meeting - did everybody see OUR NUTCRACKER!!!!! Commemerative mugs on sale at the back of the room!!! sadly i didnt buy one but i bought a limited edition print of tne monumentous occasion which was only surpassed on a sunny evening last year in April at Shrugborough Hall!!!!!

Thanks for remiding me of that again Tommo, do you miss the local RSPB group meetings like i do!!!!! ;)

Sylvia.

sylvia staffs said:
Sorry Timmy back on the thread look at my avatar, surely a future blocker!!!!

Sylvia.
Sylvia, help me out - surely I'm not the only one who thinks it looks like a mangled Walnut Whip.........?

Tim Allwood said:
and it's a word i can't stand

but popular in listing circles
Is that an ex-twitcher, ex-member of listing circles talking? Now on the 2006 Year List thread I'm sure someone answering your description is laying claim to 3 rather effective blockers??!! ;)

I would've thought it is quite difficult to get a blocker these days. With communication and transport so readily available. I expect hundreds saw the Belted Kingfisher and Sooty Tern. Even goodies such as Yellow-throated Vireo, Ancient Murrelet and Golden-winged Warbler are on the lists of many birders. I would think for a real blocker you need to either go back in time to something like the Houbara, see an untwitchable seabird such as Little Shearwater or have a more recent bird that not many could get to- Purple Martin springs to mind!

My own Blocker - Chestnut-sided Warbler. 2 records, but only seen by about 20 people in total :bounce:

Darrell

How about Scarlet Tanager? Can't recall one since early 80s, but no doubt many here saw that bird, on Scilly?

Ranger James said:
If a blocker is not a bird that you always seem to miss - what is it?
Jim

see above Jim

a bird you have seen in the past that is now very tricky for anyone to 'grip back', to use the vernacular

eg Red-breasted Nuthatch

Tim

That Varied Thrush will be as well. I've seen them in Canada and that's enough for me.
I've seen Bridled tern but I think there was a twitchable one in 94 otherwise my British list has generally got only birds lots of others have seen.

Common Scoter on my Loch Leven list takes some beating as does Sabs in Gloucestershire as well. Blocker can work at a local level too.

Gavin Haig said:
Sylvia, help me out - surely I'm not the only one who thinks it looks like a mangled Walnut Whip.....?

Having watched the walnut whip for 20 minuites and then stroked it in the hand i can assure everyone its definitlyan Ovenbird, but i dont like to talk about it!!!! ;)

Gavin,i have also got gripping video footage of it, what ever that means??? :hi:

Sylvia.

Ovenbird is'nt a blocker because of the Scilly bird which before it was picked up. Was'nt it there for three or four days? This would be ample time for most who are that way inclined to connect with the bird. In twenty years time it will be a blocker if another one has'nt turned up in the mean time.

Evening Grosbeak and Brown headed Cowbird will take some getting.

I forgot to mention about the Rock Pipit and Avocet at Loch Leven genuine county rarities!

Ranger James said:
If a blocker is not a bird that you always seem to miss - what is it?
Jim
It's a meal composed entirely of eggs.

Sorry, sorry, very sad of me.............even sadder is that I'm chuckling as I type.........

Sylvia - I truly know what 'gripping' is.....done it, had it done and, locally anyway, fear it!

I'm sure exactly this thread has already been done in the not too distant past.

... but leaving that aside, my best offering is probably Oriental Pratincole. Rubbish as blockers go, but still needed by all the recently converted twitchers.

Now Chestnut-sided Warbler - there's the real McCoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back