• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new Zen Ray Vista and ZRS HD (1 Viewer)

Steve C

I did not have much intention of trying either of these, but my curiosity eventually got the better of me. I have come to like the 7x36 ZEN ED 2 enough that I made arrangements to trade an 8x43 in NIB condition for a second 7x36. I sent it in, and the new one is not in yet, as Charles was getting low on inventory and asked if he could wait until he got his next order with the new ZRS. The second one will be the glare fix version as well. So, as events turned out out, I now have the Vista and ZRS, and another ED 7x36 in route. I really had no particular expectation on either one. I quite liked the original ZRS HD. I had the original ZRS in 10x42, and I wound up giving it to my nephew for a birthday present. I did not think too much of the original non PC Vista.

When ZR says they are new, they mean new, not just revisions or updates of the older versions, but completely different design and housing on both and neither bear a lot of resemblance to their predecessor, neither physically nor optically.

The Vista 8x42

These bear an astonishing resemblance to the Vortex Diamondback, both physically and optically. The Diamondback I have is the 7x36 version, but the interior assemblage of parts looks different. I suppose this may be an example of convergent evolution, as I believe the Vista and DB come from different manufacturers.

The Vista comes in a black armor. It uses a 1.5 turn focus travel. The first 1.0 turns take it from the close focus to 100’. The Vista is 5.0” by 6.1” with the eye cups extended and 5.8” retracted. It weighs 24 oz.

The focus travel is quite smooth, and somewhat easier than the ZRS, but a lot less stiff than the ZEN ED 2. The diopter is right barrel, non-locking. It shows no tendency to shift settings and seems stiff enough to stay where it is set. The IPD range is from 56-75mm.

The ZRS HD 8x42

I really expected to see a similar physical package with the new ZRS and the old ZRS. This is not the case. The new ZRS is quite a bit more compact, not very much larger than the Diamondback 7x36. It has the same rubber armor and thumb indents found in the ZEN ED. It is 5.4” retracted and 5.8” extended. The extended distance is the same as the Vista when retracted. The locking diopter is gone on this model. Like the Vista, it shows no shift and looks to be stiff enough to avoid unintentional movement. The eye cups, diopter, and focus knobs on both look identical. This has 1.75 turns of the focus wheel. Like the Vista, it uses one turn to go from close focus to 100’. The focus tension is a little stiffer than the Vista, but still less than the ZEN ED. This one has an IPD range from 54-75mm, better for closer set eyes. The case and accessories for each are identical. There are typical tethered objective covers that stay put, the rather typical soft rain guard, decent nylon case, and a just right length for around the neck wear black strap with the red and white Zen-Ray on the strap. There is a few degrees of wiggle in the eye cup when they are fully extended.

The views

The comparison line up of binoculars were; 7x36 Diamondback, 7x32 Leupold GR Switch Power, 7x36 ZEN ED 2 (my Swift Eaglets are gone at the moment), 8x42 Promaster ELX ED, 10x42 original ZRS, and10x 43 ZEN ED 2.

The first ZR binocular I unpacked was the Vista. So I set it up and started using it. It was a nice sunny day, and there has been enough of a string of nice days that quite a few birds have showed up, so lots of targets. The edge is a little fuzzy, there is a noticeable double ring of distortion, the inner ring being field curvature, as the distortion can be focused out. The outer ring is pincushion distortion. The on axis view is really quite good, and holds up to more than half of the 393’ fov. There is a little more fall of before you get to the inner of the two noticeable rings mentioned above, but that fall of is slight. All in all, the field appears reasonably wide, and while the edge is not perfect, it is quite good enough to detect movement and color at the edge.

The CA in an inexpensive binocular is controlled a lot better than I thought it might be. I could get it to show up on the edges of distant snow drifts, or ridge tops in bright sunlight, but there was never very much. I am not really bothered by CA, so take that into account. There was more CA here than anything else except the Leupold @ 7x. It also does a very good job controlling stray light, but some can be made to show up panning in the general direction of the sun, or with the bright sun at an angle behind the viewer. The Vista has a slightly warm somewhat reddish color bias.

It is a pretty decent view for $130. I wish I still had the Atlas Radian to compare, but I don’t. I seem to recall the Radian as being a bit more compact. I recall no substantive difference in the view, other than I recall the Radian as having a better edge. I think if the Vista reduced the fov to the same 375’, the edge would improve. Either the Vista or the Radian would be probably two of the best field worthy entry level binoculars, certainly when the price is held to a maximum of $150 or so. I took these and did a day’s worth of birding around the house, the local lake and at the Lower Klamath National Wildlife Refuge. The Vista was the only glass I had, and I never felt handicapped.

The ZRS was the next one out of the box. It took awhile, but I eventually came to the realization that there is “something going on here…” So I started to side by side it to the rest. When I came to the Promaster, it “finally” hit me. There were in fact two things here. First is that the apparent image detail is every bit as good as the Promaster (which IIRC is specified at 3.6 arc seconds). I dug out the resolution chart and confirmed that (the quick test I did showed them the same). I’m not saying the ZRS is at that level, I don’t know what the resolution spec is, but to the eye there is no difference. There was a difference with the Vista and Monarch. The next thing is that the view appears every bit as large and wide as the Promaster …and then it hit me, right between the eyes. I recovered from my Alzheimer’s moment and looked at the end of the focus wheel; FOV 393’ @ 1000 yds. It is the same as the Promaster…Duh! Well, one great mystery solved, at least I had a laugh at myself. |8.|

I have had these for about a week now. I really think I prefer the ZRS to the Promaster. A large part of this is the smaller size. The other part is the equally good image and wide field. While the magnifications of the ZEN ED 2’s I now have are different, the resolution/apparent image sharpness of the ZRS appears to be just about the same level.

Color fringing control is at least 98% as good as the ZEN ED. I had to really work in very extreme conditions to get CA to show up. It would show up where in would not in the ED 2. The Color bias of this ZRS is much more neutral than the original, which was on the warm, reddish side. Color bias is just about like the ZEN ED 2. In all the new ZRS appears quite a bit brighter than the original. Stray light control is very good, even a bit better than the ZEN ED. The color rendition is very good as is the contrast. It is not quite the same as the ZEN ED 2, but you will not notice if you don’t have both in hand. There is a bit of pincushion at the edge, but that is all. The edge is better than the Promaster. Overall the field is a lot flatter than the Vista. They are maybe a bit behind the ZEN ED 2’s, but certainly as good as the Promaster or the ED 1. Don’t bemoan the lack of ED glass; you won’t notice it’s not there.

These ZRS quite frankly took me by surprise. While I thought I had no “expectations” it appears that I was expecting not much more than the old ZRS with a difference in color tint, brightness and a bit better contrast. I suppose that is what I got, there was just more improvement than I was prepared for, particularly in the near lack of difference in apparent image sharpness between it and the ED. I was also evidently “expecting” the same fov spec as the old one too.

As to how these stand up to the rest of my crowd… Well, I’ll take either one over the Monarch. The Monarch is better at CA and stray light than the Vista, but the color and contrast is better in the Vista, as is the fov, and the depth of focus. The Monarch has always been too “focus fiddly” for my likes. While I can live with the fov of the Monarch, the narrowness is really apparent in the comparison. The Vista appears to have almost identical image characteristics to the Diamondback, the same level of tint, contrast and color, the same level of brightness, and just about identical edge characteristics. The Vista and Monarch take a back seat to the ZRS, which is a lot closer to the ZEN ED 2 than I was prepared to find. I suppose one way to look at the ZRS is the poor man’s ZEN ED 2. I thought the original ZRS was probably the best sub $200 binocular I had experience with. The new betters the old.

My brother and nephew both spent some time with these. They are both pretty unsophisticated binocular users and they both thought that they would be perfectly happy with either one. I was looking at the waterfowl on Spring Lake (this is a 700 acre lake just about half a mile from the house, lots of birds almost anytime) the other day. I had four or five binoculars on the hood of my pickup. One of the neighbors stopped (he was doing the same thing I was) and asked about all of the binoculars. So I told him. He had a Leupold Cascade 8x42 roof. His reaction to the Vista was “these cost how much?” Man, I know what I’m getting for my two boys!

So it looks like Zen Ray now has a very good low cost entry level binocular in the Vista and for some $70 more the ZRS will compete handily with anything between it and the ZEN ED 2, and with even more expensive glass like the Viper. I’ve about decided that the ZRS 8x42 makes a better fit for me than having two 7x36.

Hi Steve C, Thanks for posting this and I am sure all this took some time.:t: My question is did you use boosted resolution when you compared these? I think you didn't from what I read, I am just wondering that is all.
Regards,Steve

Hi Steve C, Thanks for posting this and I am sure all this took some time.:t: My question is did you use boosted resolution when you compared these? I think you didn't from what I read, I am just wondering that is all.
Regards,Steve

No, I didn't boost anything. It was just a relatively informal test using a color resolution chart posted here on BF by Surveyor (Ron). I tacked it to a corral fence and read it from mounting the binocular on a small tripod on the hood of my pickup. Distance was 150'.

Hi Steve, Thanks for your answer. I kind of thought that. Sounds like you had fun.:) I enjoyed reading your comparison.
Regards,Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the posting your thoughts on the new Zen Rays. Do you have any experience with the Bushnell Legend Ultra HDs? I was wondering how they compare to the new ZRS HD.

Thanks,
Orbyn

Orbyn,

I had an Bushnell Legend Ultra HD for a short while. Just long enough to figure out it and I were not going to get along. Mine was pretty cheaply made, had some rattles in it, and had had a realy slick pretty non tactile grip. Mine was fuzzy at the edge. I was pretty busy at work then, and just sent it back and did not comment on it here at all.

There seems a bit of a difference of opinion on that binocular here. It has been posted about here recently by a couple of others besides myself. Rick (RJM) who is in Japan, likes them prety well. He makes a pretty good case for his viewpoint too. See this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161266

There was also another thread (which I can't seem to find) just the other day where the poster had similar experiences to mine.

From what Rick says, there is a considerable difference in his and the ones I had for a brief time.

From my experience, I would without hesitation take the ZRS. But I would also like to get another Legend HD too. Maybe mine had "bad sampleitis" or other fatal affliction. Who knows, maybe it just got past the inspection process. Anyway there is quite a bit of information in the Bushnell-Baush&Lomb subforum.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. Based on what I have read here I have ordered the Legend HD. I will let you know what I think. I should have them early next week.

Orbyn

Orbyn,

I had an Bushnell Legend Ultra HD for a short while. Just long enough to figure out it and I were not going to get along. Mine was pretty cheaply made, had some rattles in it, and had had a realy slick pretty non tactile grip. Mine was fuzzy at the edge. I was pretty busy at work then, and just sent it back and did not comment on it here at all.

There seems a bit of a difference of opinion on that binocular here. It has been posted about here recently by a couple of others besides myself. Rick (RJM) who is in Japan, likes them prety well. He makes a pretty good case for his viewpoint too. See this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161266

There was also another thread (which I can't seem to find) just the other day where the poster had similar experiences to mine.

From what Rick says, there is a considerable difference in his and the ones I had for a brief time.

From my experience, I would without hesitation take the ZRS. But I would also like to get another Legend HD too. Maybe mine had "bad sampleitis" or other fatal affliction. Who knows, maybe it just got past the inspection process. Anyway there is quite a bit of information in the Bushnell-Baush&Lomb subforum.

Steve:
You should disclose you are a ZenRay beta tester, with some close ties to
them.
I think most here want to have unbiased opinions and reviews, I know I do.

Jerry

I recieved the ZRS today along with a couple of others from Zen. Two words ( out standing ) maybe one depends on how you look at it! It is the 8x42 model, Steve C's comments are right on the money. I also see there will eventually be an ED version! I'll line up for that one to! For the little time I have had them a couple of things, first I wish the diopter locked second I prefer a little more roundness to the eyecups. These are two minor things and don't take away anything from the excellent value these represent! Though these seem to be a fraction and I mean this litterally less sharp than the ED II's I would have to say that these are a better value considering the price. On another note I recieved another 8x43 ED II, I didn't keep the first sample long enough to really get a feel for it. Also picked up another 7x36 ED II, though I already have a good sample I think it will make a good backup and loaner! Bryce...

Steve:
You should disclose you are a ZenRay beta tester, with some close ties to
them.
I think most here want to have unbiased opinions and reviews, I know I do.

Jerry

I know it seems to bug you no end that I happen to like the ZR optics. I don't know what to say other than I call the things I have said about ZR optics as I see them. I have no financial incentive from promoting the product. I have not gotten any sort of payment for any of the ZR binoculars that we see satisfied users posting about. If I did not like it I would have said so up front. That happens to be the way I function. I really could care less if YOU believe that or not.

You seem to have taken every opportunity to counter that, which is fine. It seems to me that we have a very inexpensive binocular the happens to compete with the alpha glass on a lot of levels. Saying that seems to have offended you and it has also seemed to have offended your sense of what is well and good in the optics world. You can assume the role of beta objector and alpha promoter.

Now I had opportunity to view the prototypes of the 7x36. That is it on the extent of my beta testing. I had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with any aspect, major or minor of ANY other Zen Ray product, and that includes the two binoculars in the latest review. I told in the review how I came to get these for pete's sakes. Yeah, I know Charles at ZR, so what. I know some other people from other optics companies, so what. None of them pay me anything. This is just a hobby, nothing else.

I compared in the Vista and ZRS review, those two with as many relevant binoculars as I had. What did I do when Orbyn asked me about the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD? Looks to me like I convinced him to buy one, not a ZRS. I gave him an HONEST and UNBIASED comparison as I could personally give him. No more no less. I happen to think what I think about the ZEN RAY optics what I do BECAUSE I HAVE COMPARED them to as many binoculars, in as reasonable side by side comparisons, as I could get my hands on. They remain high in my estimation because the have held up. If something better comes along, you can be quite certain, I will call that one, whatever it is, as better, because that will be the way I happen to see it.

Last edited:
I know it seems to bug you no end that I happen to like the ZR optics. I don't know what to say other than I call the things I have said about ZR optics as I see them. I have no financial incentive from promoting the product. I have not gotten any sort of payment for any of the ZR binoculars that we see satisfied users posting about. If I did not like it I would have said so up front. That happens to be the way I function. I really could care less if YOU believe that or not.

You seem to have taken every opportunity to counter that, which is fine. It seems to me that we have a very inexpensive binocular the happens to compete with the alpha glass on a lot of levels. Saying that seems to have offended you and it has also seemed to have offended your sense of what is well and good in the optics world. You can assume the role of beta objector and alpha promoter.

Now I had opportunity to view the prototypes of the 7x36. That is it on the extent of my beta testing. I had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with any aspect, major or minor of ANY other Zen Ray product, and that includes the two binoculars in the latest review. I told in the review how I came to get these for pete's sakes. Yeah, I know Charles at ZR, so what. I know some other people from other optics companies, so what. None of them pay me anything. This is just a hobby, nothing else.

I compared in the Vista and ZRS review, those two with as many relevant binoculars as I had. What did I do when Orbyn asked me about the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD? Looks to me like I convinced him to buy one, not a ZRS. I gave him an HONEST and UNBIASED comparison as I could personally give him. No more no less. I happen to think what I think about the ZEN RAY optics what I do BECAUSE I HAVE COMPARED them to as many binoculars, in as reasonable side by side comparisons, as I could get my hands on. They remain high in my estimation because the have held up. If something better comes along, you can be quite certain, I will call that one, whatever it is, as better, because that will be the way I happen to see it.
Well said Steve .... I own some Zen Ray but I also own some others too. I simply dont purchase the top three Alpha anymore due to the fact the prices are insane. That does not mean they are not great binoculars. So why some people seem to take offense if one likes one brand over the other ... ??????. I dont talk down other brands anymore than I would bash someone if they did not drive the same car I did....gwen

It is wise to stay out of internet discussions which become sufficiently heated to GET THE CAPITALS OUT. But I've never been wise.

I own neither Zen-Rays nor alphas. So I have no dog in this fight.
I have no knowledge on which to make a valid comparison either, but that's okay because I don't plan to make any such comparisons.

I have seen many extremely enthusiastic reviews of the Zen-Rays. I am prepared to accept that Zen-Ray make some excellent bins. Excellent value too. But the reviews are SO (I'm on the CAPITALS now, watch out) good that I did actually start to wonder whether there was any connection between the enthusiastic reviewers and Zen-Ray.

I therefore think NDhunter asked a reasonable question. He asked it quite politely too. Even if his beta-testing guess may not have been entirely correct.

It is only right that anyone singing the praises of any manufacturer should disclose any kind of relationship with that manufacturer. That includes, among other things, beta testing, discount purchases, "long-term loans". It even includes something as basic as simple friendship. SteveC has probably described his acquaintanceship with Charles-of-Zen-Ray on previous posts. I can't be sure of course, I haven't read all his previous posts. But I can understand if he feels it is not necessary to re-iterate such information on every post involving Zen-Ray. It would be overkill to require some sort of disclaimer every time.

I trust SteveC and other Zen-Ray enthusiasts. But it is important not just that integrity is maintained (and I am confident that it is), but that the appearance of integrity is also maintained. So I'd say it's okay to question (politely) someone's relationship with a manufacturer.

I trust Birdforum. A lot. I would hate to ever have need to question that trust.

PS I know very little about binoculars, I spend more time on motorcycle forums. There, the risk is not so much that riders are providing reviews swayed by gifts from manufacturers (though this does creep in in magazine articles, when journalists are flown off to sunny South Africa to test the latest superbike); the bigger risk is that riders become very attached to a particular manufacturer (BMW and Harley-Davidson seem to be the worst) and cannot and will not admit to any imperfection in that manufacturer's products. I see less of this "fanboyz" attitude when it comes to binoculars, though I guess it probably exists. Though maybe not to the point of having Swarovski tattooed across your shoulders...:t:

Last edited:
sptifire

I really don't have much I can disagree with, but there are a couple of things going on here. One is that this particular boogeyman has been chased around the bush already.

Another is that the reviews of these by nature of the discussion HAD to be enthusiastic. Here's why. On this, and for that matter any forum that discusses optics, there is a continuing supply of posts where the OP of a thread has said something like "...I want a decent binocular and I just don't have a lot of money..." Well, invariably it only takes a post or two before somebody comes along telling the poster to just bite the bullet, and "save up". Nobody seems to realize that if you have a bunch of other $$ obligations, that is WAY easier said than done. But hey, they're promoting alphas, and "everyone knows" that the high $$ class glass is the best. Thing is I never could quite figure out if some of the alpha promoters (and they promote their favorite flavor of alpha glass AT LEAST as much as I and some others have the Zen Ray product, but that's OK because they have a superior product, and one that has all the brand name pizzaz you could ever want.

So here's the deal, it is the deal as I see it and I will state it as such. When this class of glass (actually exemplified by the Chinese open bridge design that Promaster was first on the scene with) first came out, it became clear that here was the quite obvious answer to the question of "...what is the best optics value for my limited money...?" It also became pretty quickly apparent that having someone point this out, and actually having the temerity to flat out state for what it is, really rallied the high class glass crowd. Trust me here when I tell you that the discussion here was by far the most civilized in the zone of Internet forums. The "discussion" got bloody and personal in other forums. Some posters were kicked off the forum (again not here to everyone's credit). So the choice I and others had was to either fold up the tend and slink away, tail between our legs, or stand our ground. I have, and always will choose the latter path. I am confident of my stance because I feel that it is a stance based on unbiased initial comparisons. By the way if Charles from Zen Ray reads this, Charles you can feel free to publish my first couple of e-mails to you. Those will clearly show a very skeptical Steve C. But on the other hand it may best to let that dog keep sleeping.

So the initial objections were largely loosely based on the China issue. First is that they are just made in China, secondly anything made in China just has to be cheap junk. That evolved into some more rational discussion of the superior aspects of the alpha, but here it was hard to tell whether the poster carrying on about their expensive binocular was trying to convince some poster that the alpha was really worth the $$ or whether they were really trying to convince themselves they had not spent a whole lot more $$ than they really had any business spending. That eventually devolved int a "shoot the messenger" approach from the alpha crowd (at least certain factions of the alpha supporters). As it became more and more clear just how good a deal these were for the money spent, the latter approach became, and remains today, the primary approach. It is basically the simple fact these guys that are saying all of this just have to be connected with the company. So if that approach can be used, then the alpha will remain high on the perch. Well, it will remain there anyway. Nobody marketing these binoculars ever had it in their mind that they were taking a shot at trying to go alpha with these. As it was, they got close...real close...to close.

You want to talk about bias? Just go the the last long Nikon SE adoration thread, and tell me there was no bias there. Do you think anybody who might find one of these for sale might be just a "wee tiny bit influenced"? They are a good product, make that an outstanding product. How about any other thread dealing with any other binocular? Sure. No problem either.

When somebody looks at something long enough to decide to spend some money on it and to feel confident enough in their evaluation to put it out for the world too see, bias has entered the arena. I figured that would have been obvious. But I guess not.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back