Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

you win some, you lose some

Old Monday 30th June 2008, 10:29   #1
bill moss

you win some, you lose some

Hi folks,

After much mooing and cooing and mayhem whenever 'strange' Woodies landed on 'their' conifer, the resident pair have finally fledged their second brood. I first saw one of them on Saturday (28th) mooching about underneath one of the caged feeders looking for spillage, which of course is very little. Threw it a couple of handsfull of Maize. Later on towards Evening I went down the garden and a juv Woodie scuttled away and under the bushes. Assumed that it was the one that I'd already seen.

Looked out of the kitchen window yesterday morning and could see a carcase from a Spawk strike way down where the young Woodie had been. Got the bins and confirmed, strike one Woodie. I normally clear the remains with a shovel and dump them over the Lane where the re-cyclers can do their bit but this time I got pre-empted by a pair of Magpies. Apologies for the poor quality but it was a drizzly early morning, through the window and there are plants in the way. Did nip round to the Bedroom where I could get an uninterrupted view but then so could the Maggies and off they went. So then the corpse (or what remained) went over the Lane. Bye-bye young Woodies I thought.

Then this morning who should turn up again but the 'under the feeder' one, identified by the scruffy feathers, but this time eating well and at least able to fly. So it may be that at least one of them will make it. Hope so.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS magpie on woody carcase 290608 .jpg
Views:	20
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	147269  Click image for larger version

Name:	DS magpie2 on woodie carcase 290608 1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	147270  Click image for larger version

Name:	DS magpie2 on woody carcase 290608 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	147271  Click image for larger version

Name:	DS woodpigeon juv on grass 300608 1_1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	147272  Click image for larger version

Name:	DS woodpigeon juv on grass 300608 2_1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	147273  

Old Monday 30th June 2008, 19:39   #2
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Great series of pics, Bill

If somewhat gruesome subject matter LOL!! Just goes to show nothing in nature goes to waste!!

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 30th June 2008, 22:09   #3
pie

Hi Bill,
Looks like it put up a good fight poor thing.
Wood pigeons fascinate me Bill. When I scatter the breadcrumb mix in the morning, I sit back with my cup of tea & watch the pecking order of visitors. The Jackdaws are usually the first to arrive followed by a mobbing Magpie. The smaller Birds wait until the initial feeding frenzy is over before getting stuck in.
The Wood Pigeon is confident & calm enough to carry on regardless of other Birds. I notice the Bigger Birds rarely challenge it, often giving way to it & the smaller Birds feed alongside it despite it's size & cumbersome crash landing.

I'm so glad your trooper survived Bill, & good action shots.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 30th June 2008, 22:31   #4
Judo

Ahh, I can't help feeling sorry for the one who didn't make it! I hope the other one does well, certainly looks as if s/he's enjoying the maize anyway. Well captured Bill.
Been watching a pair of 'my' Woodies over the last few days, building a new nest in the tree opposite, so more young 'uns on the way maybe.

"A light broke in upon my brain, It was the carol of a bird, It ceased,and then it came again, The sweetest song ear ever heard."

Lord Byron
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: