• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last Few from Khao Lak, Thailand (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

Sorry for the poor quality, can anyone please help with id's of these last few from Khao Lak, Thailand all taken in January

Thanks

Attachments

• 0000 - Thailand Khao Lak - Sensimar Hotel - 18Jan13 - 04-972 orig.jpg
    0000 - Thailand Khao Lak - Sensimar Hotel - 18Jan13 - 04-972 orig.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 0000 AAA - Thailand Khao Lak - Nang Thong Beach - 18Jan21 - 12-776.jpg
    0000 AAA - Thailand Khao Lak - Nang Thong Beach - 18Jan21 - 12-776.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 0000 AAA - Thailand Khao Lak - Nang Thong Beach - 18Jan21 - 12-836.jpg
    0000 AAA - Thailand Khao Lak - Nang Thong Beach - 18Jan21 - 12-836.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 0000 AAA Drongo - AAA - Thailand Khao Lak - Nang Thong Beach - 18Jan15 - 06-004.jpg
    0000 AAA Drongo - AAA - Thailand Khao Lak - Nang Thong Beach - 18Jan15 - 06-004.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 42
Indian Roller was my gut instinct for pic three. The Swiftlet is either Himalayan or Germain's (I gave up attempting to separate the two when I was there)

Which book are you using?

Spot on for Glossy in Robson.

A

Field experience! Ive seen Glossy in Si Phang Nga and hundreds of Germain's/Himalayan throughout Thailand. I personally think that the swiftlet illustrations in the Robson fieldguide and are much darker than what you see in real life, and make identification look much easier than it is in the field.

I've seen Himalayan in Northern Thailand and Nepal, and find it hard to believe (given its distribution and abundance) that in all the time I spent around Phetchaburi and Khao Lak etc, I didn't unknowingly see a single Germains Swiftlet.

Field experience! Ive seen Glossy in Si Phang Nga and hundreds of Germain's/Himalayan throughout Thailand. I personally think that the swiftlet illustrations in the Robson fieldguide and are much darker than what you see in real life, and make identification look much easier than it is in the field.

I've seen Himalayan in Northern Thailand and Nepal, and find it hard to believe (given its distribution and abundance) that in all the time I spent around Phetchaburi and Khao Lak etc, I didn't unknowingly see a single Germains Swiftlet.

Glossy looks to be the most straightforward in Robson?

A

Glossy looks to be the most straightforward in Robson?

A

It is. My confusion was relating to the separation of Germain's and Himalayan.
Either iv'e only ever seen Himaylayan in Thailand (which seems unlikely) or I have unknowingly seen both, but Germain's have been so similar to Himalayan (which I know I have seen) that I haven't been able to identify them.

It seems like everyone thinks 3# is Indian roller. For me this individual looks like Dollarbird with deep green and blue colouration, head appears to be dark not brown, no? Would appreciate any points I may have missed! For the swiftlet, I think this individual's belly is not in fact really white and could be an artefact as James suggested.

It seems like everyone thinks 3# is Indian roller. For me this individual looks like Dollarbird with deep green and blue colouration, head appears to be dark not brown, no? Would appreciate any points I may have missed! For the swiftlet, I think this individual's belly is not in fact really white and could be an artefact as James suggested.

My ID was based more on structure than anything else. Proportions looked more like a Roller but willing to be proved wrong

A close up of no 3, wondered if I was seeing a white eye circle if this helps

thanks

Attachments

• AAA - Thailand Khao Lak - Nang Thong Beach - 18Jan21 - 12-836 copy.jpg
    AAA - Thailand Khao Lak - Nang Thong Beach - 18Jan21 - 12-836 copy.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 21
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back