• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

parroti not related to Psittaciformes, but to Carl Philip August Parrot (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Just a small addition on HBW Alive entry of today for Centropus sinensis parroti, Dendrocopos major parroti and Emberiza calandra parroti Görnitz, 1921, Falco, 17, p. 3. (Syn: Miliaria calandra)

Emberiza calandra parroti nomen novum für E. c. insularis Parrot (non Emberiza insularis Grant Forb)

In HBW Alive is written:

Dr Karl P. A. Parrot (1867-1911) German ornithologist (subsp. Centropus sinensis, subsp. Dendrocopos major, syn. Miliaria calandra (ex Emberiza calandra insularis Parrot, 1910)).

For the sake of completness his full name seems to be Carl Philip August Parrot. Most of the time the first name Carl is written with C e.g. as well here. Nevertheless I found him as well als Karl with K e.g. here.

As well he was a gynaecologist in Munich (therefore his Dr.)

P.S. another obituary ''A. Bonomi. Carlo Parrot. Necrologio; Rivist. di Ornithologia 1911, 119—120." here

Last edited:
Mr. Parrot is also commemorated in Parrotstraße [i.e. Parrot('s) Street] in München (Munich, Germany): "Karl Parrot (1867-1911), studierter Frauenarzt, nach Erkrankung bek. Ornithologe"

;)

Carl Philip August Parrot

For the sake of completness ...
"Dr. C. Parrot" described a "Emberiza calandra obscura" in 1910 (here), but realized it was preoccupied and tried to amend the name into "E. calandra insularis", later the same year (here). However also his "insularis" turned out to preoccupied, (which was the one "renamed" by Görnitz in 1921, turned into "Emberiza calandra parroti").

In both the former cases the Author is C. Parrot.

This also goes for, for example, his: "E. schoeniclus major" (here, in text, p. 89, article start, here) ... and several other birds desrcibed ny the same man.

So I guess you were right all along Martin. His First name seems to be Carl.

:t:
---

@ There was never any doubt from my side and I am sure if you look at all his publications which are mentioned here you will always find him with C. His first article e.g. here even fully written as Carl Parrot. As well I think Carl Eduard Hellmayr who wrote the obituary in The Ibis knew him well from his Munich time.

One of the "several others" ...

Note that the death year of "Dr. Dr. Hans Krieg (1888-1970)", differ from 1975, which is often claimed! He´s commemorated in, for example:
● the invalid "Pyrrhura frontalis kriegi" LAUBMANN 1932 [syn. Pyrrhura frontalis VIEILLOT 1818]

Mr. Krieg was apparently born 18 June 1888 in Vaihingen/Enz … and he passed away 5 October 1970, in Geretsried (Oberbayern), Germany (here)

The photo is the same as in the Journal für Ornithologie obituary here with his signature.

P.S. @ James : There is a typo in the name of Hans Krieg in HBW Alive. You might want to correct Hans Kreig to Krieg (even if it is not a nice german last name) ;).

Last edited:
There's also a German explorer Friedrich W. Parrot who was in eastern Turkey (first ascent of Mt Ararat in 1829) and Iran in the early 19th century. Don't know if he did birds at all, but he's got a tree named after him (Parrotia persica).

Not directly a answer ready, just completing an article on the founding collections of the MNHN up to 1825, Parrot is not in there, but I came across his name in the catalogues of the MNHN. Soon will work through the catalogues again, will let you known here.

Nothing new just what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Great Spotted Woodpecker ssp. Dendrocopos major parroti Hartert, 1911 [SII Dendrocopos major harterti]
Greater Coucal ssp. Centropus sinensis parroti Stresemann, 1913
Corn Bunting ssp. Emberiza calandra parroti Gornitz, 1921 NCR [JS Emberiza calandra calandra]
Dr Carl P. A. Parrot (1867–1911) was a German ornithologist.

Of course has Wikipedia entries.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back