• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader on Smola (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I didn't see this guy until I downloaded the pictures, I was photographing a gull would you believe!!

Think it's a Godwit, but is it possible to tell from this rather poor and heavily cropped image which one? Unfortunately the light wasn't too good that day.

I say Smola, it was actually at the ferry port just before we boarded at Sandviken.

Attachments

• BF for ID S0280132.jpg
    BF for ID S0280132.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 95
Bar-tailed would be my gut feeling but ... there does look to be a fair bit of tibia showing however? Jizz is good for Bar-tailed as do extensive deep brick-red underparts.

RB

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it's a summer plumage Red Knot with the legs and bill appearing longer than they are, because we're seeing their reflections in the water added on?

Thanks so much guys. Very grateful.

Could you give me a pointer as to why it's Bar and not Black please.... I do struggle with these as I don't see them too often where I am.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back