• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rubythroat needs your help!! (1 Viewer)

aguifan

We've been overwintering a female Rubythroat since mid December.
We live in the Piedmont of North Carolina.
We're zone seven.
Our temps have consistantly dropped to the twenties (or less) overnight with day temps around freezing.
I change out her feeder everyday so she'll have thawed nectar.
But now my concern is the availability of "Real Food".
I don't know of any flowers blooming right now that she'd be interested in.
And there's not many bugs around this time of year.
Does anyone know if I could buy some flowers from a flower store she may like?
What should we buy? Will it work?

Thanks,
-jeff

Last edited:
We've been overwintering a female Rubythroat since mid December.
We live in the Piedmont of North Carolina.
We're zone seven.
Our temps have consistantly dropped to the twenties (or less) overnight with day temps around freezing.
I change out her feeder everyday so she'll have thawed nectar.
But now my concern is the availability of "Real Food".
I don't know of any flowers blooming right now that she'd be interested in.
And there's not many bugs around this time of year.
Does anyone know if I could buy some flowers from a flower store she may like?
What should we buy? Will it work?

Thanks,
-jeff

Just keep the feeder filled and open. She should be fine. I hope Bill Hilton notices this.

Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

For my wintering hummer the year before last, I just kept the nectar going and hooked up a domed flood light above it and kept it on at night to keep the nectar warmer.

If you scroll about half way down his site (here), he collects reports of winter hummingbirds, and would be delighted to see yours I'm sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back