• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Tu-whit, tu-who" - Shakespeare was right (1 Viewer)

davercox

Dave Cox
Supporter
Two quotations :

1. from Love's Labour's Lost, Act 5 Scene 2 :
When all aloud the wind doth blow,
And coughing drowns the parson's saw,
And birds sit brooding in the snow,
And Marian's nose looks red and raw,
When roasted crabs hiss in the bowl,
The nightly sings the staring owl :
'Tu-who ;
Tu-whit, To-who ' - A merry note,
While greasy Joan doth keel the pot.

2. from Wikipedia, today :
The call of the Tawny Owl is the tu-whit tu-whoo immortalised by William Shakespeare. However, it is known today that this call is actually a compound of two calls; the quavering hoo-hoo-hoo by the male and the reply of kew-wick from the female.

How many times have I read or heard this nonsense, usually from so-called experts on owls.

The 'tu-whit' is nothing like the female's 'ke-wick' (far shorter, quieter and less explosive), and comparing the 'to-who' to the male's long-drawn hoot is rubbish (it lasts about two seconds, and the 'who' is on an up-and-down curve that I can't express in letters).

The 'tu-whit to-who' call is not common, I guess I hear it only about once a year, but almost always in mid-winter (as Shakespeare says). I'm not sure but I think it's the male that calls it. It is always prepared by the 'tu-whit' on its own (as Shakespeare says), usually 2-3 times before we get the full thing.

Anyone out there like to back me up, please, before I go in and destroy this rubbish in Wikipedia ?

Reminds me of the story about the owl and the rabbit playing pool,........ the owl makes a foul shot and rabbit pipes up "that's two hits", and the owl of course said "two hits to who?"

Don't know if that's any help :h?:

I seem to remember the Collins Field Guide to Bird Songs and Calls (with 2 CD´s) saying something about the calls "To-whit" and "To-who" being heard separately, not together. It´s all academic to me, though; there aren´t any Tawnies in Ireland. Best of Luck on your Wikipedia Crusade! :t:

I dont think i have ever heard a so called "to whit - to whoo" call although i regularly hear the "hoo hoo hoo :: kew wip" which i've always assumed is what this referred to but to which has been added poetic license? I have also always believed that the "hoo hoo hoo" is the male and the "kew wip" is the female - is this not the case?

Funnily enough - i heard this last night for the first time in a while in Woodhouse Eaves in Leicestershire -really going for it!

Mike

Mouldy said:
Reminds me of the story about the owl and the rabbit playing pool,........ the owl makes a foul shot and rabbit pipes up "that's two hits", and the owl of course said "two hits to who?"

Don't know if that's any help :h?:

Another example of falling standards in education. That should, of course, be 'to whom'?

(Sorry.)

Mike Feely said:
I dont think i have ever heard a so called "to whit - to whoo" call although i regularly hear the "hoo hoo hoo :: kew wip" which i've always assumed is what this referred to but to which has been added poetic license? I have also always believed that the "hoo hoo hoo" is the male and the "kew wip" is the female - is this not the case?

Funnily enough - i heard this last night for the first time in a while in Woodhouse Eaves in Leicestershire -really going for it!

Mike

No Mike, you're quite right about those, which are the classic Tawny Owl calls. Your pair seems to be getting together early. But the tuwhit-towho is very different. The only thing I don't agree with Shakespeare about is hearing it "nightly" - as I said, I hear it only about once a year.

davercox said:
Anyone out there like to back me up, please, before I go in and destroy this rubbish in Wikipedia ?
I was about to post to say I fully agree with you when in walked my brother, Roy, who read your thread. He has watched a tawny on a tree in a pub car park and heard it calling exactly as Shakespeare describes: "Too-whit too-woo"

davercox said:
Thank you Steve (and your brother).
I have edited the Wikipedia entry, lit the blue touch-paper etc.
I'm never sure how Wikipedia works - who checks the edits, I wonder? Someone does as I once saw something obscene on one but it had gone within minutes!

I'm surprised this thread hasn't attracted more answers to give more certainty (not that we're unsure) - maybe repost it under a different title?

Well, Tawny-calling time again, so time to resurrect this.

I can't correct Wikipedia, it seems, you have to quote a "source", and apparently forty years of listening to Tawnys doesn't count.

Come in guys and girls, you must hear this call sometimes !?

I've never heard a Tawny (or a recording of one) make any sound that resembles the "classic" call.

The Barred Owl, on the other hand, consistently and loudly makes the exact to-whit-to-whoo sound, followed generally by to-whit-to-whoooooo (usually rendered as who-cooks-for-you, but obviously the same sequence of "notes").

I, er, therefore conclude that Shakespeare had considerable knowledge of north American woodland. Either that, or there was some great twitching to be had in the Warwickshire area in the 16th century........

Oh dear, I wish I had read this thread earlier as I was meaning to write on this very subject. I am often out at night listening for owls and over the years I have heard a definite "to-whit-to whoo" but only twice in my life. I had read that Shakespeare was a poor naturalist (for this very reason) but it seems he may not have been after all! It has always annoyed me that nobody has ever backed this up so I now feel a great relief. So, Tawny owls DO make this call. OK? Mike Montier

I am glad that one is settled then! Actually I really miss Tawny Owls as I now live in Mallorca and there are none here that I know of. Mind you, a Barn Owl floats over the appartment most evenings and there are many Scops Owls of course although seeing them is something of a challenge. There are also Long-eared Owls but I have only seen two of those. I will just have to pop back to the UK for a fix. Oh, and I really miss Rooks...

I should also have said - Thank you Ron. When I can sort out the audio on this computer I'll give that link a try.

OK, got some audio now and listened. This recording is of two of the 'classic' calls: the 'hoo' and 'kewick'. Not what I am talking about.
Thanks anyway.

<<Edit ... and the Opus has the classic duet, 'kewick' following by the extended hoot. That's not it either ! end Edit>>

Last edited:
At 0415 this morning, outside my window, my resident female Tawny wailed, and gave almost Shakespeare's call, but not quite, just a little more feeble than the classic, but rare, call. First time I've heard this since I last posted.

It was, of course, nothing like the standard 'ke-wick' - and not remotely like the male's quavering 'hoot' - and it was only one bird.

Missed this thread the first time around. Singers of madrigals will be acquainted with Thomas Vautor's Sweet Suffolk Owl.
Sweet Suffolk owl, so trimly dight
With feathers, like a lady bright;
Thou sing'st alone, sitting by night,
'Te whit! Te whoo!'

Thy note that forth so freely rolls
With shrill command the mouse controls;
And sings a dirge for dying souls.
'Te whit! Te whoo!'
I particularly like the lines "Thou sing'st alone, sitting by night, 'Te whit! Te whoo!'". Appears to refer to the call of a single bird.

You can listen to it hear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1eB3nn7WSw

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back